Most/Least Interesting Clubs in Scotland

Guest DannyBlue

Honourable mention for Queen's Park. Besides their 19th century history, the whole amateur thing, owning Hampden etc. We now have their recent financial injections, promotions and having their home games touring the central belt for years while Lesser Hampden got the most hilariously shit renovations done.

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I dunno, surely every club has this kind of assortment of mental things that went on off the pitch?

On the pitch, it has to be said that Elgin have been extremely boring. 

Maybe to an outsider but I can't remember a boring season supporting Elgin. We've generally been pretty decent or rank rotten for the last 12 years and I think you'd have to go back a bit beyond that to find a season where we had nothing to play for in the last few weeks.

We went 9 years at one point without a draw at Borough Briggs and until the last couple of years or so played some really attacking football which led to an awful lot of high scoring games.

We were the first team to take a point at Ibrox during the journey despite playing more than half the game with 10 men.

We've lost a cup tie 6-0 to a non league team a few weeks ago (our second defeat of that scoreline in 3 games) and another to Bo'ness a few years ago where we were 3-0 up at home and ended up drawing 4-4, then lost the replay 5-4. A fair few scalps have gone our way in the cup too, particularly 4 or 5 years ago.

We also had the second tallest footballer in world football for a few years.

The only thing missing is a promotion or relegation, but we've come close to both plenty of times and I think most fans would suggest one will happen in the next few years.

8 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Morton had an asset stripper trying to drive them out of extinction out of spite. Not something the Queenies will ever experience, being an utter non-entity of a football operation based in bumpkin country.

INTO extinction, shurely?

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

The likes of Edinburgh City are just an annoyance. Unlikely to do anything of note and with a fucking dreadful ground to boot. Only positive is they are in Edinburgh.

Don't need any more Edinburgh clubs. Sorry Edinburgh City/United Edinburgh/FC Edinburgh/whatever you're called this week. Same with Bonyrigg Rose. 

For me Gretna.

I almost totally missed it given I didn't really start following Scottish football till the 2008-2009 season, I obviously heard about it in the background but I was mostly following European and Premier League football at the time. It's a real genuine fairy-tale story, at least as an outsider, not sure the St Johnstone fans would be saying the same, certainly Geoff Brown had some choice words about Brooks Mileson but it's an interesting story. 

2 hours ago, DannyBlue said:

Honourable mention for Queen's Park. Besides their 19th century history, the whole amateur thing, owning Hampden etc. We now have their recent financial injections, promotions and having their home games touring the central belt for years while Lesser Hampden got the most hilariously shit renovations done.

Queen’s Park are the establishment club. The BBC loves them and they’re even sponsored by The City. 

43 minutes ago, Molotov said:

What transpired with the last boardroom meltdown with the guy who was losing his shit with Douglas McCrea? Did that all get resolved?

Yeah, he got binned haha

Guest DannyBlue
1 hour ago, MazzyStar said:

Queen’s Park are the establishment club. The BBC loves them and they’re even sponsored by The City. 

That does make them a bit dull tbf.

8 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Least interesting is obviously Celtic, no doubt. At least the other set of bigots are good for laughing material quite often.

Outside of them then probably someone like Peterhead, not hated/high enough up the pyramid for anyone to really care if they were to embarrass themselves (see Hamilton, Falkirk, Dundee United etc). East Fife was another thought but at least they've got Raith/Dunfermline fans who would probably point and laugh if they went down.

Most is probably Dundee United, even this season when they seem to have their shit together in the Championship they still go and get knocked out the Scottish Cup by a team stinking out the league below them.

East Fife are an irrelevance to us, much like we are to them I'd imagine tbf. Have barely played each other competitively and they're 20 miles along the road, we've got quite a few teams who are closer. 

Although I get why you'd think it, we're just not in any way rivals. 

While Stenhousemuir’s first team is undeniably boring as sin, the club have done a lot of work in the community for many years now. Ochilview is regularly used by kids of all ages and I believe some walking football as well.

Not sure if that qualifies as exciting but they are worthwhile for that alone IMO.

On 05/12/2023 at 17:28, Jives Miguel said:

Championship: Least - Ayr having precisely zero trophies won.

Most - Would probably have to be Morton, most league titles/promotions in Scotland outside the Old Firm I think. Ye canny argue with that

We probably are the most boring team in the current championship, agree. 

We are only one league title behind Morton's haul of 10 though.  Both have 6 second tier and 3 third tier titles.  Morton being the more basket case club went down to the fourth tier and won it and that's all that separates us, we are too boring to have fallen so low. 

On 05/12/2023 at 17:00, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I suppose the one thing Elgin have going for them is that they aren’t Lossie.

Or Inverness.

Or Forres

But Lossie often have a free RAF airshow during matches, and Forres Mechanics have an excellent wee ground and a silly/cool name.

I find St Johnstone very, very uninteresting, despite their cup double.  Their oversized lego stadium with the multicoloured (including yellow and red) seats annoys me too.

Edited by VictorOnopko

23 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Get this shite to absolute f**k.

Livingston are a stolen club.

Their daft pitch, shite stadium, and location in a crap town are far from the most offensive things about their existence. Don't make me spend another week educating people on this.

Big Meadowbank fan were you?  I am genuinely sympathetic to those that were - must be awful to lose your club. But time has moved on and you cannot blame the fans for what happened in the past.  It was far from ideal but binning Livi isn't going to make anything better.