Livingston v Hibernian - 09/12/23

58 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

I’m like a broken record but VAR is a fucking farce, I know both times they got to the correct decisions but I don’t understand how anyone in the world could say football is better for it.

Anyone with half a brain warned us of this before it came in and it’s been just like it always was going to.

I was not able to see if Sangare was offside but if he was then OK but both ref and the main stand assistant missed it. Up for debate if that is an " obvious error". The call was for handball and then root cause for VAR intervention was changed. Its killing the game and I would like to see it punted. Let the refs do their job and if mistakes happen then we can all greet and moan over our beer in the pub. Way things are going we won't need to moan much longer as its not in the Championship.

Better team until the goal went in and then the confidence of the entire team seemed to disappear.

At the start of the second half we were really rank rotten.

One thing I didn't understand is for large parts of the first half we were giving the Hibs right defense a torrid time. After the goal it seemed we decided to ease up o that and start to lose form.

Above all I agree with several of the other posters here; any excitement in this game was totally cancelled out by VAR; in almost 60 years of watching live football I've never even considered giving up on the live game; the way its going there's more entertainment watching five minutes "highlights" on Sportscene.

For the first 20 minutes we played a really high defensive line. That was probably to squeeze the midfield space as Hibs like to pass through Newell and Levitt. It worked and meant we had the initiative for the first 15-20 minutes. A couple of dangerous Penrice crosses was all we managed to create, though. Hibs then worked out what we were doing with the high line and started chipping balls behind our defence, particularly into our inside right channel. That caused us to lose our nerve and we abandoned the high line. Once our back line dropped deeper, that created space in front of our defence which Youan dribbled into. Sean Kelly took an age to cover across behind Holt so missed the tackle on Youan. Devlin completely lost concentration and broke the line, playing Boyle onside.

I'm adamant that Pittman and Holt should be our centre mid duo. Two excellent tacklers full of energy. Together, they'd have had that space shored up which Youan dribbled into. 

Anderson coming on second half sparked our attack. The combination between him, Pittman and Shinnie was great for his chance and he was unlucky Marshall saved it. Anderson must always start home matches. 

Brandon played well and was likely subbed due to being on a booking. Good decision as I didn't trust him not to foul Tavares again. Pittman did really well when taking over as right wing back.

Penrice was outstanding. 

Sangare does well as a super sub but I want to see him starting ahead of Sean Kelly.

I much prefer Shinnie at attacking mid like today rather than the deep playmaker role at centre mid. You want him closer to goal where his subtle passes can make the difference. One of him or Stephen Kelly should always be playing at attacking mid, they're our two most creative players.

Nottingham was good.

George made an arse of the offside Vente goal and fluffed a couple of kicks but came out well to deny Tavares first half. He'd obviously learned from not coming out to Kiltie a fortnight ago.

Edited by Freedom Farter

2 hours ago, Monkey socks said:

I was not able to see if Sangare was offside but if he was then OK but both ref and the main stand assistant missed it. Up for debate if that is an " obvious error". The call was for handball and then root cause for VAR intervention was changed. Its killing the game and I would like to see it punted. Let the refs do their job and if mistakes happen then we can all greet and moan over our beer in the pub. Way things are going we won't need to moan much longer as its not in the Championship.

No you’re absolutely right.

Sangare was slightly off, by a whisker, we got burned with it with Boyle’s one in the semi final.

Even the handball itself was a nonsense, the ball hit his hand, yes but issues like that where he can’t really do anything to stop the ball hitting his hand arent what the handball rule was created for, but that’s what we’re dealing with it now.

Don’t care that we got a couple of VAR calls our way today, (and once against tbf) f**k VAR.

I think we were very unlucky not to get a penalty for the Guthrie incident, yes he's stepped across the defender but every striker in football does that now and the players at the top are praised for it. As has been said earlier, if that challenge happened to a rangers (or celtic player) it's 100% a penalty

18 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I think we were very unlucky not to get a penalty for the Guthrie incident, yes he's stepped across the defender but every striker in football does that now and the players at the top are praised for it. As has been said earlier, if that challenge happened to a rangers (or celtic player) it's 100% a penalty

Not sure about that. I just watched it on highlights and he absolutely stuck his leg in between Newells legs.

I don't necessarily think it was a foul on Newell, but I do think it was deliberate and Guthrie was trying to buy a penalty.

Aye I was yelling at the telly just there with Boyd and Broon bafflingly certain that Livi should have had a penalty. Guthrie puts his leg across. I don't think it's necessarily a foul on the defender but definitely not a penalty.

Eilidh Barbour just used the word "celeb" instead of celebration. 

Worse than the clamour around the non penalty.

11 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Not sure about that. I just watched it on highlights and he absolutely stuck his leg in between Newells legs.

I don't necessarily think it was a foul on Newell, but I do think it was deliberate and Guthrie was trying to buy a penalty.

Boyle style, seen Boyle running side by side and sticking his leg across to get tripped.. Don't think that's what Guthrie did though, he was in front and going for the ball stepping across to stay ahead of Newel.