Chilli D (Saints) vs Mika B (Sinners) - Sat 16th Dec 2023

2 minutes ago, Al B said:

If the ref decided that it had then yes, but that's where the discretionary part comes in.

Look where O’Donnel is when the ball is coming back to O’Hara.  

Actually ahead of him.  

VAR I take it made the (bad) discretionary call. 

ED049496-2308-4F7E-8168-E5A2BCD45E88.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Look where O’Donnel is when the ball is coming back to O’Hara.  

Actually ahead of him.  

VAR I take it made the (bad) discretionary call. 

ED049496-2308-4F7E-8168-E5A2BCD45E88.jpeg

The ball doesn't come back to O'Hara, it goes off to the right of that still image, and the rebound is hit by a player that's not even in shot there

Rebound goes way off to the right as we look at it, to the player under the red arrow (not sure who that is, sorry), who hits it off the legs of Gent who's under the yellow arrow, and rebounding away to distance.

This isn't a Motherwell fan v a St Mirren fan thing, and you may not like the rule with it's discretionary addition, which is fair enough...there's loads of them I don't like, but O'Donnell didn't influence the penalty or the rebound so the ref is correct to allow play to continue.

Pen.thumb.jpg.a4e3fbd55a265db1f5e2f17f2f8fab55.jpg

Edited by Al B

27 minutes ago, Al B said:

Rebound goes way off to the right as we look at it, to the player under the red arrow (not sure who that is, sorry), who hits it off the legs of Gent who's under the yellow arrow, and rebounding away to distance.

This isn't a Motherwell fan v a St Mirren fan thing, and you may not like the rule with it's discretionary addition, which is fair enough...there's loads of them I don't like, but O'Donnell didn't influence the penalty or the rebound so the ref is correct to allow play to continue.

Pen.thumb.jpg.a4e3fbd55a265db1f5e2f17f2f8fab55.jpg

Threads involving St Mirren aren't the place for reasoned debate and logic. 

Let's just all agree that St Mirren should have been given 2 penalties due to the encroachment, they should have won 5-0 and they're clearly the best team Scotland has ever seen. 

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Did we make St Mirren kick off the opposite way from usual or is that something they've started doing?

Yes you did. I blame McGinn or Obika for revealing our secret formula !! We are undone !!

3 hours ago, Al B said:

RE the encroachment at the penalty, you're sort of both correct.

The laws of the game say that any enroachment should result in a re-take, but there was a revision a few years back that allowed referee discretion, so now generally a referee will often only order a retake if a defending player who encroaches, has an effect on the penalty itself (i.e clears the rebound, blocks a secondary shot etc etc).

So as much as O'Donnell did encroach, the referee deemed it to not have affected the penalty at all (which it didn't), so had the discretion to over-ride the rule, which he did.

Edit to add: As it's discretionary, if the referee had decided to order a re-take, that would also have been correct.

If that’s true (and I’d like to see some evidence that it is) then it’s utter bollocks. The less discretion a ref has on anything the better, but particularly something like that. How difficult is it for defenders to remain out the box until the ball has been kicked? Especially if they know it’ll result in a retake. 

54 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If that’s true (and I’d like to see some evidence that it is) then it’s utter bollocks. The less discretion a ref has on anything the better, but particularly something like that. How difficult is it for defenders to remain out the box until the ball has been kicked? Especially if they know it’ll result in a retake. 

IMG_2822.png

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Can't get agitated at all at the encroachment.

If that ball goes in, nobody is wanting it retaken for encroachment. It was a horrible penalty and sums Mark O'Hara up this season, the drop off in his overall performances has been sharp and totally unexplained.

It was a shocking penalty and sums up O’Hara this season. Sad to say he’s a passenger. Last season he was the the most important component in the team, captain leader, he dominated games and scored some cracking goals. 

For whatever reason he just flirts in and out of games making the odd contribution from time to time. 
But for the most part he’s a ghost from where he was last season.

We need another midfielder in Jan and quite possibly move one of the strikers on to fund such a move.

Lets hope he finds some confidence again and regains some form.

42 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It was a shocking penalty and sums up O’Hara this season. Sad to say he’s a passenger. Last season he was the the most important component in the team, captain leader, he dominated games and scored some cracking goals. 

For whatever reason he just flirts in and out of games making the odd contribution from time to time. 
But for the most part he’s a ghost from where he was last season.

We need another midfielder in Jan and quite possibly move one of the strikers on to fund such a move.

Lets hope he finds some confidence again and regains some form.

Yes it seems like you got the best version of O Hara last season. I think he has now reverted back to type I.e. how he was with us during his entire stint at Fir Park. Occasionally does something of note but largely anonymous . 

He has all the tools as well to be a great box to box midfielder it’s quite frustrating.

10 minutes ago, AW saint said:

The drop in form from O'Hara is alarming. Pale shadow of last season. 

Would take Slattery from Well. 

Slattery played a lot of the game on his arse yesterday but he's a good player.

Him and Spittal, I'd happily see either in a Saints shirt.