Chilli D (Saints) vs Mika B (Sinners) - Sat 16th Dec 2023

What an absolutely honking game. Utterly baffling why it took both teams half a fucking hour to figure out that lumping high balls in those conditions was a terrible idea.

What a shocker if a penalty from O’Hara, but seeing it back, not exactly sure why it wasn’t re-taken for encroachment.

If I was a Motherwell fan I’d be fuming with Slattery. 1 on 1 with the keeper and a CB chasing him down and he pulls off a dive like that. Embarrassing. Why he didn’t just take the shot is beyond me.

A honking game in barking conditions. A draw probably the fair result.

53 minutes ago, welldaft said:

All time top league points table. Do keep up. Although that may be quite difficult as the Buddies are a whole 1000 points behind Motherwell. 

A 1000 points…………..not to mention the goal difference (in significantly less games) 😳🤦‍♂️😂😂

IMG_1895.png

That’s no even close to the statement you made, silly you 🙄 

13 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

What an absolutely honking game. Utterly baffling why it took both teams half a fucking hour to figure out that lumping high balls in those conditions was a terrible idea.

What a shocker if a penalty from O’Hara, but seeing it back, not exactly sure why it wasn’t re-taken for encroachment.

If I was a Motherwell fan I’d be fuming with Slattery. 1 on 1 with the keeper and a CB chasing him down and he pulls off a dive like that. Embarrassing. Why he didn’t just take the shot is beyond me.

A honking game in barking conditions. A draw probably the fair result.

Ref fell for plenty Well dives, if he falls for that one too then it’s a penalty and almost certainly a red card.  

So a good chance of a goal AND Saints down to 10.  

19 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Any chance you could point out where @AussieBud said you didn’t have a better overall record than us?

I only saw the bit where he was correcting your bollocks that it was only one year in every twenty. 

He’s obviously a bit tender about the current situation, maybe it’s because they were in administration and he knows the points gained then when living well beyond their means should be wiped from record 🤔😂

29 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Biereth is a good player even if he was isolated for long spells.

Think that’s the issue with this one up top formation and it had shades of Van Veen last season before Kettlewell took over. 

First half he got little in the way of support or service and cut a frustrated figure as Gogic had him in his pocket for the most part. Second half though, we seemed to get more balls into his feet and got him some support. Suddenly he created two great chances for Spittal and Slattery as well as being through on goal himself, although sadly he seemed to get the ball stuck under his feet.

Overall you’ve got to be happy with a point and our first clean sheet since September, especially with the horrific conditions and Saints missing a penalty. Frustrating though with the run we’re on and the number of clear cut chances we passed up. 

We look a far better and more balanced site with Gent in it(who’d have a thought it!?) and it was night and day from Davor from his previous appearance in Paisley. Kelly’s best game in a while as well and probably Blaney’s best game for the club. 

Edited by Casagolda

For a 0-0 in shite conditions, I never thought the game was ‘honking’. There was enough incident - the Kiltie chance, the saved penalty, the Small effort saved, the missed Motherwell chances and some good Hemming saves. I’ve seen some right old shite in my time at the SMiSA, in perfect conditions. Usually involving St Mirren v Livingston or Hamilton. In zero wind and nice temperatures, both sides could still have been playing today and not scored yet. I’d actually give both sides yesterday a bit of praise for their efforts on such a shite day. Not claiming it was a classic or anything, clearly.

57 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Definitely an aspect of his game that is getting more and more frequent. And getting right on my tits  There is a time and a place to be streetwise and go down. But invariably he picks the wrong time and place, the ref looks at him and goes "aye right" we lose the ball because of his antics and we are back under pressure. Manager should be having a word in his ear as it is happening far too often and the position we are currently in we really don't need it 

42 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Definitely an aspect of his game that is getting more and more frequent. And getting right on my tits  There is a time and a place to be streetwise and go down. But invariably he picks the wrong time and place, the ref looks at him and goes "aye right" we lose the ball because of his antics and we are back under pressure. Manager should be having a word in his ear as it is happening far too often and the position we are currently in we really don't need it 

Was it him that made the comical complaint for a back pass when Gogic miss hit the ball 20 feet in the air and Hemming caught it?

Was then right in the referees face at the next break in play too.  

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I was patted down at 10 past 2, not sure if they would have found flares in my padded jacket but they at least made an attempt.  Did this continue up to kick off? Or was it just a show for the police looking on?

Motherwell Bois getting pyro into stadiums…

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Would have been interesting to see what that would have been like if you’re been relegated those times you finished in the relegation zone.  

Let's not be silly here. We're the establishment club. 

As for the game itself, I'd have taken a point before the game but disappointed in the end not to win it with the chances we had in the second half. 

14 now without a win and with Rangers & Aberdeen up next, the Livingston game at the end of the year now looks absolutely massive. 

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

Can only assume we will be getting another apology for this VAR error. 

IMG_4881.jpeg

Not 100% sure on this, but is it only encroachment if O'Donnell (I think its him) is the one to clear it after the save? Which, of course, he wasn't. 

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m 100% sure you’re wrong. Encroachment is encroachment. Unless the rule has change and I wasn’t aware. 

Every chance I am, tbf! Just thinking for a reason why VAR wouldn't pull it back as he's clearly in the box.

Edited by Desp

RE the encroachment at the penalty, you're sort of both correct.

The laws of the game say that any enroachment should result in a re-take, but there was a revision a few years back that allowed referee discretion, so now generally a referee will often only order a retake if a defending player who encroaches, has an effect on the penalty itself (i.e clears the rebound, blocks a secondary shot etc etc).

So as much as O'Donnell did encroach, the referee deemed it to not have affected the penalty at all (which it didn't), so had the discretion to over-ride the rule, which he did.

Edit to add: As it's discretionary, if the referee had decided to order a re-take, that would also have been correct.

Edited by Al B

16 minutes ago, Al B said:

RE the encroachment at the penalty, you're sort of both correct.

The laws of the game say that any enroachment should result in a re-take, but there was a revision a few years back that allowed referee discretion, so now generally a referee will often only order a retake if a defending player who encroaches, has an effect on the penalty itself (i.e clears the rebound, blocks a secondary shot etc etc).

So as much as O'Donnell did encroach, the referee deemed it to not have affected the penalty at all (which it didn't), so had the discretion to over-ride the rule, which he did.

Edit to add: As it's discretionary, if the referee had decided to order a re-take, that would also have been correct.

If it had effected the shooting player’s ability to finish the rebound would that result in a retake?

2 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

If it had effected the shooting player’s ability to finish the rebound would that result in a retake?

If the ref decided that it had then yes, but that's where the discretionary part comes in.