Dunfermline Athletic ⚪️⚫️1 Vs Partick Thistle 🟡🔴2

Think this could be a really interesting match for Partick. After the shock reverse of the reverse, they could easily pull into a shell and let the Pars bring the match to them, but that’s not their strength. The Pars have similar defensive woes, but hopes for returning help…should play out quite enjoyably for fans with a solid match if both managers get their sums right. You have to like a weekend with 1 v 2 and 3 v 4 on the menu…Partick really needs it to stay in touch with the top two, while the Pars hopes for top three would take a lump with a loss.

33 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Not sure the relevance to this? Does that mean we’re not actually 4th for some reason?

Must be. Can't finish fourth if you're close to tenth or something? Idk. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

…Partick really needs it to stay in touch with the top two, while the Pars hopes for top three would take a lump with a loss.

Does finishing in the top three make the slightest difference? We're not finishing top two, a loss here would be mildly unfortunate but it won't define whether we finish in the playoffs or not. 

And with that there's hee haw difference between finishing 3rd or 4th.

1 minute ago, wellyboot said:

More a bit of reality. Not actually meant as a criticism of the Pars, although you are 4th, you need to keep picking up results or you could easily be drawn into a relegation battle rather than a play off attempt. It’s the nature of this seasons championship. Apart from the top three there is a gap forming to the other 7 to fight it out for play offs and staving off relegation 

Are you saying, that if we don't pick up anymore points we might be drawn into a relegation battle? 

Well f**k me we've got a smart one here! 

10 minutes ago, wellyboot said:

More a bit of reality. Not actually meant as a criticism of the Pars, although you are 4th, you need to keep picking up results or you could easily be drawn into a relegation battle rather than a play off attempt. It’s the nature of this seasons championship. Apart from the top three there is a gap forming to the other 7 to fight it out for play offs and staving off relegation 

Disagree with that. I'd say the top two have considerable distance from the other eight. Thistle are sitting third but only four ahead of us plus we have a game in hand, a Pars win on Saturday reduces that to a point. Thistle are currently eight points behind RR with RR having a game in hand. Even if they beat us on Saturday which will increase their gap on us, there still a considerable distance from the top two. They'd almost be in a wee no mans land section of their own.

10 minutes ago, wellyboot said:

There is always a p***k in amongst roses! 

yes your lot are 4th but are very inconsistent. Hopefully partick thump you after your comment!

For a poster that was just trying to give a lecture on how a table works you'd think you'd be aware that if we're fourth, it doesn't really matter a f**k on how you get there. 

We're not even inconsistent, as it's been pointed out we haven't beaten the top three, but we've done well against the sides below us, fourth is exactly where you'd expect us to be. 

20 minutes ago, wellyboot said:

There is always a p***k in amongst roses! 

yes your lot are 4th but are very inconsistent. Hopefully partick thump you after your comment!

9 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

For a poster that was just trying to give a lecture on how a table works you'd think you'd be aware that if we're fourth, it doesn't really matter a f**k on how you get there. 

We're not even inconsistent, as it's been pointed out we haven't beaten the top three, but we've done well against the sides below us, fourth is exactly where you'd expect us to be. 

We're also joint third (with Partick) in the form table.

So in summary we can say that we've been better and more consistent than the six teams below us, but not quite as good or as consistent as the three teams above us. If this relative performance changes then we may go up or down the table.

38 minutes ago, wellyboot said:

Reality is we’re 4th in the table, despite not being great so far.

Seeing as I never mentioned anything else, seems like you’re getting riled up about nothing like a classic oddball.

28 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

There’s the prize money, and the second playoff leg being at home but aye that’s about it.

I think the reality of this season is that we’ve got two teams far better than the other 8, then us who’re probably best of the rest but it’s really much of a muchness outside the top 2. A bit like every Premiership season. 

44 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Does finishing in the top three make the slightest difference? We're not finishing top two, a loss here would be mildly unfortunate but it won't define whether we finish in the playoffs or not. 

Well, yes. There’s certainly better chances for advancing in the playoffs from third versus fourth, particularly in the Championship because of the stacked deck for the 11th place team. There’s also about 23% more prize money.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Well, yes. There’s certainly better chances for advancing in the playoffs from third versus fourth, particularly in the Championship because of the stacked deck for the 11th place team. There’s also about 23% more prize money.

Not sure how there's a better chance of progressing in the playoffs for from third against fourth. Seems to me to be the same chance since each team plays each other at home.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Think this could be a really interesting match for Partick. After the shock reverse of the reverse, they could easily pull into a shell and let the Pars bring the match to them, but that’s not their strength. The Pars have similar defensive woes, but hopes for returning help…should play out quite enjoyably for fans with a solid match if both managers get their sums right. You have to like a weekend with 1 v 2 and 3 v 4 on the menu…Partick really needs it to stay in touch with the top two, while the Pars hopes for top three would take a lump with a loss.

Even although it’s not even 1/2 way through yet, if you guys beat Arbroath this week, we will 11 points behind you already. Utd also have a game in hand. I feel we already too far behind.

5 minutes ago, wellyboot said:

Not disagreeing that you are 4th without being great. If you think that continuing in this form will keep you in 4th then good luck. 

“classic oddball”…I’m sure that description would have fitted with a certain Mr Leishman at one time and he is held in high regard by your lot (and some others) so I will take that thanks.

Why wouldn't our current form keep us 4th?

20 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Not sure how there's a better chance of progressing in the playoffs for from third against fourth. Seems to me to be the same chance since each team plays each other at home.

Fair enough, made me look it up to see if it backed my gut.

9 Promotion Playoffs between 13/14 and 22/23.

#4 advanced from the quarters twice, or 22% of the time...from the semis once, or 11% of the time...never won the finals.

#3 advanced from the quarters seven times, or 78% of the time...from the semis three times, or 33% of the time...never won the finals.

#2 advanced from the semis five times, or 56% of the time...won the finals 33% of the time.

So, yes, a much better chance or progressing to the semis, a shot at the finals, but unlikely to matter. I guess its a small extra boost from the one or two extra home games.

As for home vs away...26 wins, 13 draws and 17 losses at home in the playoffs. That says the team at home last probably has a marginal advantage because they are more likely to win and they know if they need just a win or more.

On the whole, the money aspect is clear that third beats fourth due to position money plus probably at least one extra home match. The results in terms of promotion, doesn't matter as much, but a higher finish does give a chance.  

16 minutes ago, wellyboot said:

Not disagreeing that you are 4th without being great. If you think that continuing in this form will keep you in 4th then good luck. 

“classic oddball”…I’m sure that description would have fitted with a certain Mr Leishman at one time and he is held in high regard by your lot (and some others) so I will take that thanks.

IMG_2316.gif