The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

9 hours ago, pub car king said:

Just to turn it back to the rule about not killing your own players. 

What if you kill a contestant on another dead poolers list, would there be some kind of stewards enquiry into this? 

I get it.  You want to do a remake of Hitchcock's "Strangers on a train" except this time it is called "Strangers on a football forum".

Probably lacks potential if you ask me.

11 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I hate it when there's nothing on the telly.

You are one sick individual.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

I have a suggestion, leave this thread that “bothers” you and get professional help. I enjoyed red dotting all your recent posts here.

It is not me that needs professional help you sick, twisted know it all.

How is it even possible to think like that let alone post it. These posts are just nasty from individuals that hide behind their computer screens. No way they would say nasty, sick things like that to anyone face to face. I include Brightside in that as well. 

I am so glad I am not like them. I would never think like them as I am not a nasty individual that doesn't care about others. These individuals couldn't care about others.  

Edited by Steelly

5 hours ago, Steelly said:

It is not me that needs professional help you sick, twisted know it all.

How nice to know such a qualified individual is judging us. After all, you must be immensely qualified to comment on this, given you pronouncements. Too bad studies show gallows humour is good for you, eh?

https://bigthink.com/thinking/gallows-humor-philosophy/

It’s also a comment formed in a very familiar manner, I’m sure more than a few posters recognize you, m8.

How is it even possible to think like that let alone post it. These posts are just nasty from individuals that hide behind their computer screens. No way they would say nasty, sick things like that to anyone face to face. I include Brightside in that as well.

You must never get out if you think people wouldn’t say that face to face. As for how it’s possible, see the above link, it’s common and healthy. Perhaps you should stop talking for others and admit the fetish of dislike here is yours and yours alone. That’s exactly why you need help, to understand this twisted mindset.

I am so glad I am not like them. I would never think like them as I am not a nasty individual that doesn't care about others.

Ah, here we are, fear of being “like them”, the other he reviles…as I said, you need help. See the above study and note that it clearly indicates the individuals involved are actually more caring, rather than less…which asks the question of yourself.

You are one sick individual.

These individuals couldn't care about others.

Glad you were available to sit in judgement of us all, m8.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He seems to have the measure of you @TxRover!

Guilty, but welcome to the club too, m8.

Edited by TxRover

On 12/12/2023 at 11:22, Steelly said:

No one in their right mind jokes about cancer.

Everyone deals with it differently. Having had leukaemia as a child, and having recently completed treatment for testicular cancer as an adult, you better believe I'll joke about it, and I don't appreciate anyone questioning my mental state for doing so.

One of the best things about this site is the Madwullie Memorial Thread - if you are looking for an honest, open and supportive place to discuss cancer, then I can assure you that is a better option than piling into the Dead Pool thread and attacking people when you have no idea of their experience of cancer and how they deal with it

5 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Hmmmmmm...................Steelly comes across very Jehovah's Witnessy.  Narrow-minded, proselytising, intransigent, know-it-all, patronising, Sevconian.

Must be a Scottish football journalist. 

21 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

As someone considering being a first time dead pool player, what are some top tips and tricks for getting started? Would for instance a wikipedia page for people born in 1924 be a good place to start? 

If you're going purely by age, the statistically optimal age to pick is 106 for men and 108 for women. Finding 15 106-to-108 year olds who'll leave a qualifying obituary is left as an exercise for the player.

Illness is a better mortality predictor than age, and age is a better mortality predictor than a lifestyle prone to unnatural cause deaths.

There are celebrities who get in the news because they're terminally ill, and there are celebrities who stay out of the news because they are terminally ill. The former are easier to find.

The solo shot bonus is nice, but it's a tradeoff; other players en masse tend to be better at guessing deaths than you, to the extent that, on average, the solo/dual bonus doesn't compensate for it. But every year a few players hit a bunch of solo shots and race to the top of the leaderboard. This may be down to luck, or skill.

Keith Richards is obviously immortal.

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

As someone considering being a first time dead pool player, what are some top tips and tricks for getting started? Would for instance a wikipedia page for people born in 1924 be a good place to start? 

This was my 2023 strategy. I have a couple of celebrities aged 100+ and a fair number over 90. 

I am currently in joint 111th place.

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

Do yourself a favour and Google "Deaths 2023" which will take you straight to Wikipedia's 'Deaths 2023' page on a month-by-month basis.

Have a wee gander at the cornucopia of dead folk. This year has seen a bundle of Chinese academicians, usually in their 90's. A few Greek Orthodox priests, in their 90's. Lots of Indian politicians of great age.

As AimHere has said, getting a qualifying obit can be tricky.

Just do what a lot of folk do and pick people you hate and hope they die.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

2 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

My first year was a carefully curated selection of individuals and almost all remained insufferably mobile. My second year was a more randomly selected mix of people hated and old f**ks, and gave much better results. The chances of approaching the result of some of the top Dead Pool Ghouls is similar to that of Jimmy “Zombie” Carter finally passing, pretty damn slim.