The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

6 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

My first year doing Dead Pool.  I assumed that you couldnt pick those who were terminally ill?  I must be wrong.

6 hours ago, Aim Here said:

The rules are that they can't be famous for being terminally ill. It's to weed out all those people who get in the news for doing a charity marathon before they croak, or for announcing they're off to guzzle a few glasses of Chateau Dignitas or for legal battles after their parents trying to stop the doctor turning off the life support system, that kind of thing.

Some hitherto famous person who announces that they have stage four cancer or MND is perfectly fine as a pick.

I've made the same rookie mistake putting the squad together.

Thanks to the Champ for putting us right

One look at the appropriately named @hatchetman list suggests that it is going to be an incredibly busy year for Heads of State - so many funerals to attend.  Might be an idea to just have one big event and get everyone together as we say goodbye to Trump, Charles III, Zelensky, Putin (might be a different attendeee list)

People seem to be ramping up their solo shots this year - from 442 to 517, with almost the same number of players. I don't know if it's that all the low-hanging fruit got picked last year and nobody knows who's going to die next, or they're actually putting in more research into the slightly-off-the-beaten-track picks.

The two big risers in the popularity stakes are Bruce Willis, from 5 picks last year, to 30 this time round, while Esther Rantzen stops being a deadly duo, and gets a whopping 42 picks. Right at the top, experienced old Dead Pool hands Jimmy Carter (57), Rob Burrow(51) and Shannen Doherty(49) are still putting in a good showing, popularitywise. Long may they continue to do so!

The two most similar teams this year are The_Craig and last year's runner-up psv_killie who share a whopping *eleven* picks between them. I suspect there's a good chance that it's only captain and vice-captain bonus points that will separate them this year.

Not sure what Scotland world cup squads of the 70's were taking(other than Willie Johnston)  but @molotov selections seem to suggest that it had a delay of 45-50 years and would result in departure from this life (11 or more of his team went to 74 or 78 finals)

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Looks like quite a few of us went for the Burrow/Irwin dream team for Captain and Vice Captain.

They were my dead-cert combo last year but neither had the decency to indulge me. So that’s it boys, you only get one chance - don’t perform for me and you’re back training with the kids. 

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Thanks F_P.

After submitting ridiculous teams in the previous two years I couldn't help myself this year as well, although I've gone in a new direction, so to speak.

It takes quite a lot of effort compiling a team that has virtually no chance of winning, but for anyone who's interested here's my squad.

Clint Eastwood

Timothy West

Oliver North

Neville Southall

Peter Easterby

Simon Weston

David Easter

Rose West

Sheena Easton

Tim Westwood

Dendy Easton

Daniella Westbrook

Kanye West

John Eastman

Billy West

With a lucky escape for Gareth Southgate, who just missed the cut.

What's the point?

Looks like I might have a few solo shots, but it's always difficult to tell because there's so many entries. Also my very bizarre strategy of avoiding most of the obvious, terminally ill, low hanging fruit is possibly a reason for this.

Quite a few names on there that surprised me (looking at the spreadsheet).

TBH, I really don't care if I win, it's just for puns after all.

3 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Looks like I might have a few solo shots, but it's always difficult to tell because there's so many entries. Also my very bizarre strategy of avoiding most of the obvious, terminally ill, low hanging fruit is possibly a reason for this.

I have 8 Solo Shots, if you're used to using spreadsheets it's easy to check how many times your selections have been picked by highlighting the column of picks then using the Find function for each name in your team.

17 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

The 'Players' worksheet in my results spreadsheet gives you an at-a-glance view of which of your picks is a solo or not (deep blue = solo, light blue = duo). In your case 8 solos, and 3 duos.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yfhdssUxqb8bZfMcgZKdPigZNqp83pJHRVdMR23MnyY/edit#gid=0

Edited by Aim Here

51 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

What's the point?

If we tried to rationalise everything we do in life we probably wouldn't do very much. Why would someone climb Mount Everest or run marathons? 

My first dead pool entry was in 2021 with a conventional team, but it turned out to have a fairly mediocre result which made me realise that I'm unlikely to ever win. As an alternative I set myself a challenge of putting together oddly linked teams instead just for the hell of it.

It also means I have to dig out some slightly more obscure picks which gives me a better chance of solo shots just in the off chance that the team unexpectedly does well.

13 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

^^^Witchcraft!

Your solo shots:

Roger Corman, Tsu Surf, Valerie Singleton, Leila Williams, Richard Bacon, Janet Fielding, Carole Ann Ford, Maureen O'Brien

Your deadly duos:

Iris Apfel, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Peter Purves

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

If we tried to rationalise everything we do in life we probably wouldn't do very much. Why would someone climb Mount Everest or run marathons? 

My first dead pool entry was in 2021 with a conventional team, but it turned out to have a fairly mediocre result which made me realise that I'm unlikely to ever win. As an alternative I set myself a challenge of putting together oddly linked teams instead just for the hell of it.

It also means I have to dig out some slightly more obscure picks which gives me a better chance of solo shots just in the off chance that the team unexpectedly does well.

I think you've missed Bold's joke, think compass points