The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

What a plerr he was. Hard to believe that he and Charlton, considered the best in the roles at the time, basically man-marked each other out of the final in 66. Beckenbauer was only 20 at the time. 

The reaper must be on some kind of January bonus rate #prolific 

13 minutes ago, JustOneCornetto said:

JPR Williams the Welsh rugby legend dead at 74

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67912287

Any excuse to post this. Far from a rugby aficionado, but this is magical stuff. JPR is no 15 for the Barbarians in this footage. He went on to become an orthopaedic surgeon I think. 

43 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Any excuse to post this. Far from a rugby aficionado, but this is magical stuff. JPR is no 15 for the Barbarians in this footage. He went on to become an orthopaedic surgeon I think. 

His best moment was the 99 call where he sprinted past everyone to get wired in, and ended up squaring up to half the Boks on his own.

I remember seeing an interview with McGeechan where he said on one occasion JPR was already past him on the way to the scrap while he was deciding whether or not to get involved!

16 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

His best moment was the 99 call where he sprinted past everyone to get wired in, and ended up squaring up to half the Boks on his own.

I remember seeing an interview with McGeechan where he said on one occasion JPR was already past him on the way to the scrap while he was deciding whether or not to get involved!

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/rugby-union/competitions/gallagher-premiership/10769381/lions-memories-99-call

JPR interviewed on here along with a few others including Andy Irvine.

1 hour ago, mozam76 said:

Absolutely brilliant, and I’m not that keen on rugby.

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Absolutely brilliant, and I’m not that keen on rugby.

It’s just ridiculously good. Very of its era, obviously. I’m not sure any of those tackles would be allowed now. 

An interesting wee aside is that the commentator there, a guy called Cliff Morgan (himself an ex player of high standard) wasn’t meant to be calling the match, but Bill McLaren was laid low with flu. Morgan only found out on the morning of the match when he was pretty much handed a mic. That try happened in like, the third minute or something. 

I’m a bit of a commentator nut - those words man.