Places in Scotland you've never been to

3 hours ago, RawB93 said:

giphy.gif

Reveal hidden contents

I could be totally wrong but I've always seen it like this

image.png.3d62446d4bfd954c9de481a5e3469188.png

I'm not actually comfortable with the idea of Scotland having a South coast, tbh. Which reminds me I actually got into an argument with someone at a party who said Dundee was on the South coast :lol: 

We built a bridge and got the hell over it.

Was just in the process of doing the same thing. Kilmarnock looks alright and I would like to visit but it's just not on the way to anywhere and not worth the trek, for me.

image.thumb.png.98c5eba73ee09e63077f1a827fece078.png

Apparently Edinburgh Castle is Scotland's most visited place. 

Never been.

Not Ibrox?

I was lied to.

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Of the places I want to go I've never been North of Lochinver on the mainland and have always fancied going up to Cape wrath. I've never been to Shetland or Orkney either.

Come to think of it I've never been to the egg chasing towns in the borders, your Melroses and Galas etc.

Aside from a few fitba adventures to the metropoli of Raith and Dunfermline (on and off supporters buses) I've never been to the Kingdom. My cousin is engaged to an Anstrutherian so I reckon I'll break that duck when they get mairrit.

There is some football in the Borders..

Galashiels ; not the prettiest town. Netherdale is worth visiting for Womersley's Folly (1960s iconic concrete stand)

Melrose: egg chasing. quite nice if touristy. Abbey is worth a visit

Kelso: Scotland's oldest cricket club and also racecourse. Quite pretty. 

Coldstream; Right on the Border. We had a Scout camp here and we crossed over the Tweed, pished in England, and crossed back again. 

Duns: There's a good bakers shop. And a museum to Jim Clark. 

Hawick: The Royston Vasey of Scotland. The football club are usually shite but quite nice people. 

Peebles: A pretty town with another shite football club. Their stand is quite iconic. 

Innerleithen: Quite pretty. Nice ice cream. Traquair ale blows yer heid aff. 

Selkirk: It's up and down hill. You can visit Walter Scott's old courtroom. 

Langholm. Went here once. It's miles from anywhere. There is a monument to Hugh McDiarmid on the hill which is worth a look. 

Jedburgh: Nice Abbey. 

10 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

There is some football in the Borders..

Galashiels ; not the prettiest town. Netherdale is worth visiting for Womersley's Folly (1960s iconic concrete stand)

Melrose: egg chasing. quite nice if touristy. Abbey is worth a visit

Kelso: Scotland's oldest cricket club and also racecourse. Quite pretty. 

Coldstream; Right on the Border. We had a Scout camp here and we crossed over the Tweed, pished in England, and crossed back again. 

Duns: There's a good bakers shop. And a museum to Jim Clark. 

Hawick: The Royston Vasey of Scotland. The football club are usually shite but quite nice people. 

Peebles: A pretty town with another shite football club. Their stand is quite iconic. 

Innerleithen: Quite pretty. Nice ice cream. Traquair ale blows yer heid aff. 

Selkirk: It's up and down hill. You can visit Walter Scott's old courtroom. 

Langholm. Went here once. It's miles from anywhere. There is a monument to Hugh McDiarmid on the hill which is worth a look. 

Jedburgh: Nice Abbey. 

Pretty fair and reasonable. 

Would give some more plus points to Gala which has improved a lot in the last few years also Melrose is a lovely wee town and Hawick is an absolute hell hole, I wouldn't advise anyone to visit for any reason. They even speak their own language. Very strange breed. 

6 hours ago, highlandmac said:

The NC500 is made up tourist pish but the areas it goes through are stunning,it's just a shame that this once hidden gem of Scotland has been marketed to oblivion,almost totally ruining what made it amazing in the first place.

I've never,to my shame,been to ardnamurchan,slept in Skye or the island off the north coast of Skye,is it raasay?perhaps should make this the year to go to these places

You better get a move on if you're going to do it in just over two weeks.

23 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Pretty fair and reasonable. 

Would give some more plus points to Gala which has improved a lot in the last few years also Melrose is a lovely wee town and Hawick is an absolute hell hole, I wouldn't advise anyone to visit for any reason. They even speak their own language. Very strange breed. 

Legendary rugby union commentator, Bill McLaren, claimed that: "A day out of Hawick is a day wasted." Maybe he was wasted when he said that.

Just now, Thane of Cawdor said:

Legendary rugby union commentator, Bill McLaren, claimed that: "A day out of Hawick is a day wasted." Maybe he was wasted when he said that.

Just checked and aye he's from Hawick... 

Very insular group, genuinely never met one of them that wasn't worryingly proud to be from the worst area in the borders. 

Years ago I had to go to Orkney and Shetland once a year, drive up from Inverness, ferry to Orkney, do what I had to do, overnight ferry to Lerwick, do what I needed to do,and get the same ferry back to Orkney. The next day back to Scrabster.

The last time I had to do it I had to go to Skye on my way home, so rather than going down to Inverness and across, I drove across the top of Scotland to Durness and then headed south, keeping to the coast as much as possible.

I suppose this was the NC500 before the Marketing Team at Visit Scotland got involved.

The scenery was absolutely stunning and the traffice was minimal.

I stopped at Durness and the water was Caribbean blue, not something you would expect.

I have thought about doing it again but have been put off by the horror stories about the crazy driving by Camper Van types.

I have never been, getting back on topic, to the Western Isles and Campbelltown.

2 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Is it not meant to have quite an old town centre with some well preserved buildings?

Also a few nice natural wooded areas by the Irvine and Dean Castle which is where I always end up when I visit somewhere.

It's a shithole. I'll say one good thing though, it has a couple of cracking takeaways. The best one is A Slice Neapolitan Pizzeria. Best pizza I've ever had. Think they actually just won the best pizza in Scotland award a couple of weeks ago. But save yourself having to go to Killie and just go to the one they've recently opened in Wishaw. They have the actual wood-fired oven in that shop as well. 

6 hours ago, RawB93 said:

giphy.gif

Reveal hidden contents

I could be totally wrong but I've always seen it like this

image.png.3d62446d4bfd954c9de481a5e3469188.png

I'm not actually comfortable with the idea of Scotland having a South coast, tbh. Which reminds me I actually got into an argument with someone at a party who said Dundee was on the South coast :lol: 

We built a bridge and got the hell over it.

Was just in the process of doing the same thing. Kilmarnock looks alright and I would like to visit but it's just not on the way to anywhere and not worth the trek, for me.

image.thumb.png.98c5eba73ee09e63077f1a827fece078.png

Apparently Edinburgh Castle is Scotland's most visited place. 

Never been.

Why is Dumfries not on that list!?

Thankfully I’ve managed to avoid the east coast for the most part. Only been to Peebles and Innerleithen in the borders and Edinburgh a couple of times. Kincardine and Anstruther are the only places in Fife I’ve been to. Been to Dundee once (but I actually liked it there) and never been to any of the places in Angus. Only been to Aberdeen once to get a ferry to Orkney. 

20 hours ago, southernrover said:

The tale of that place fascinates me, not just the manner in which it was depopulated but the way of life of its people. I read one of those Amazon previews of a book on it once and it described some islanders being picked up by fisherman and taken to the crew's home port at Fleetwood. Must have been like going to the moon for them.

it must have been indeed!

I aim to read up on the place one day 🙂

19 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Loch Lomond earlier this year. I was fizzing tbh. Every one should be dusted for prints and the perpetrators tracked down and kicked in the baws/fanny. c***s. 

IMG_20231008_172021675.jpg

Could we set up a link to an electric substation and electrocute the cnuts?