Aberdeen v St Mirren, farewell to 2023.

21 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Average, honest Aberdeen fan: 'We are absolutely terrible. Fair play to St Mirren - no complaints about the result and a fully deserved win.'

Average online St Mirren fan: 'Oh dear! Why can't you just admit that we deserved to win and you sheepshaggers are absolute shite?! Not taking this well at all, Sheepie, are you?!'

Nothing about us accusing you of thinking you should still be having the success you had in the 1980s?

Frankly, I’m disappointed. 😀

12 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’m certainly not having a go at Aberdeen. Still a long way to go in the season and you proved that being one of the richest clubs in the country last season that resulted in a strong finish. I think what makes this league so great outside of the uglies is that all the other teams can do a number on each other home and away. 
It is extremely rare for St Mirren to win away at any ground in the top flight.

I felt the challenge by Fraser at 1-0 was going to lead to a penalty for Aberdeen that could’ve had a major difference to the outcome of the match ans I think it happened quite soon after the missed O’Hara penalty. 

The only reason that I think the VAR team ignored it was to “even up” after they fcuked up the 2-2 penalty equaliser in Paisley 😂……

Imagine had that happened in a bigot fest game? 

I think you will be fine and Dandy if you recruit well in January. 

Absolutely no issues with Aberdeen or their supporters. 

Hearing from good sources that rangers can’t get their VAR audio from yesterday because we were in front of them in the queue. 

I thought it was probably a pen, but you could argue mcgarry was looking for it too. In all honesty even if we’d equalised then you’d still likely have gone onto win. We were absolutely hopeless. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Hearing from good sources that rangers can’t get their VAR audio from yesterday because we were in front of them in the queue. 

I thought it was probably a pen, but you could argue mcgarry was looking for it too. In all honesty even if we’d equalised then you’d still likely have gone onto win. We were absolutely hopeless. 

Trust me. Our confidence going into yesterday’s game was very low. We were on top against Killie prior to the opening goal. Once they scored all hope seemed lost as heads went down.
That decision not to award a penalty was a crucial point especially just after O’Hara had missed. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

At the risk of being shot down, reading many posts, it appears that the main cause of you being absolutely hopeless, is the tactics employed by your manager. He stubbornly sticks to a formation that doesn’t work, doesn’t suit the players you have, yet he just keeps sending Aberdeen out to play the same way, despite it not working. Isn’t there a saying about the ‘definition of madness is…’?

You don’t appear to have an absolutely hopeless squad, but I maintain, there really isn’t much difference in quality at all between the current St Mirren and Aberdeen squads on paper. Or Hibs, for example. Wafer-thin differences between many clubs squads in this league.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

At the risk of being shot down, reading many posts, it appears that the main cause of you being absolutely hopeless, is the tactics employed by your manager. He stubbornly sticks to a formation that doesn’t work, doesn’t suit the players you have, yet he just keeps sending Aberdeen out to play the same way, despite it not working. Isn’t there a saying about the ‘definition of madness is…’?

You don’t appear to have an absolutely hopeless squad, but I maintain, there really isn’t much difference in quality at all between the current St Mirren and Aberdeen squads on paper. Or Hibs, for example. Wafer-thin differences between many clubs squads in this league.

Paragraph 1 pretty much spot on. We’re set up to play teams who play with a higher defensive line and take more risks playing from the back. Stay compact in our back 5 then press them at the right times and also just go over the top of them when they step out too far. In certain games it’s been successful. 

The problem is that we set up this way in every game against teams that set up to happily absorb direct balls, which completely nullifies miovski etc. there is no real plan to break the opposition shape or get in behind, no width and often no real intensity to what we’re doing. Robson suggesting yesterday that we were just ‘off it’ was laughable. 

On the 2nd point, only semi agree. I think the gap in quality of the first XI’s is bigger than you do but not so big that it can’t be bridged by being a well oiled, well coached cohesive unit which st Mirren under Robinson generally are. 

8 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Fine for the league is reasonable. I don't think they'll get relegated.

But it's getting harder and harder to buy the line that this is a good squad. It patently isn't.

How often do you beat either of the old firm? Celtic two weeks ago granted but you don’t tend to do to well against the bigger boys particularly Rangers. Be good to se you boys do your bit for the league and win against them more often. 

35 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’m certainly not having a go at Aberdeen. Still a long way to go in the season and you proved that being one of the richest clubs in the country last season that resulted in a strong finish. I think what makes this league so great outside of the uglies is that all the other teams can do a number on each other home and away. 
It is extremely rare for St Mirren to win away at any ground in the top flight.

I felt the challenge by Fraser at 1-0 was going to lead to a penalty for Aberdeen that could’ve had a major difference to the outcome of the match ans I think it happened quite soon after the missed O’Hara penalty. 

The only reason that I think the VAR team ignored it was to “even up” after they fcuked up the 2-2 penalty equaliser in Paisley 😂……

Imagine had that happened in a bigot fest game? 

I think you will be fine and Dandy if you recruit well in January. 

Absolutely no issues with Aberdeen or their supporters. 

Thanks, mate. Not a problem with St Mirren, either - arguably my favourite Glaswegian team!

For what it's worth, I looked back at the McGarry one and don't think there's enough there for VAR to be intervening - just folds a little bit too easily for me. Both St Mirren penalties were correct, and I immediately said at the game after the ball hit Jensen's arm that I hoped it wasn't in the box because otherwise VAR would likely have to intervene. 

Have a good New Year. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Paragraph 1 pretty much spot on. We’re set up to play teams who play with a higher defensive line and take more risks playing from the back. Stay compact in our back 5 then press them at the right times and also just go over the top of them when they step out too far. In certain games it’s been successful. 

The problem is that we set up this way in every game against teams that set up to happily absorb direct balls, which completely nullifies miovski etc. there is no real plan to break the opposition shape or get in behind, no width and often no real intensity to what we’re doing. Robson suggesting yesterday that we were just ‘off it’ was laughable. 

On the 2nd point, only semi agree. I think the gap in quality of the first XI’s is bigger than you do but not so big that it can’t be bridged by being a well oiled, well coached cohesive unit which st Mirren under Robinson generally are. 

Seriously, I wouldn’t swap St Mirren’s keeper, or any of our defenders for any of Aberdeen’s. If we have fully fit in midfield, O’Hara, Strain, Baccus? Debateable there if I’d swap ye’. Up top? Aye, your Bojan chappie is a player, I’ll grant you that. Manager swap? Let me think about that for a moment. Sorry, a second.

Just now, pozbaird said:

Seriously, I wouldn’t swap St Mirren’s keeper, or any of our defenders for any of Aberdeen’s. If we have fully fit in midfield, O’Hara, Strain, Baccus? Debateable there if I’d swap ye’. Up top? Aye, your Bojan chappie is a player, I’ll grant you that. Manager swap? Let me think about that for a moment. Sorry, a second.

I’d agree that defensively we can’t claim to be superior. 

49 minutes ago, Molotov said:

You still owe us a few for Bell, Weir, Stark, McDougall. 

Go on….it’s the season of goodwill!

If it makes it any easier SAF currently will not return to St Mirren to accept any award as he still has the hump with an infamous P&B posters grandad.

There’s two for you. Which P&B poster?

10 hours ago, Molotov said:

You still owe us a few for Bell, Weir, Stark, McDougall. 

Go on….it’s the season of goodwill!

If it makes it any easier SAF currently will not return to St Mirren to accept any award as he still has the hump with an infamous P&B posters grandad.

You got about a million pounds out of us for Winnie and Gillies. We owe nothing. 

14 hours ago, Molotov said:

If it makes it any easier SAF currently will not return to St Mirren to accept any award as he still has the hump

That pisses me off tbh. There were wrongs on both sides , Fergie overstepping the mark , and WT seeing himself as our great leader. Truth be told , we were a basket case when AF took over , almost to the extent that we might have become the next Third Lanark. There is no doubt that his impact on the club at that time  , for me , makes him our greatest ever manager , even if he was only here for four years. This generation of St Mirren fans don't seem to realise that they still have a lot to thank him for !

11 minutes ago, billyg said:

That pisses me off tbh. There were wrongs on both sides , Fergie overstepping the mark , and WT seeing himself as our great leader. Truth be told , we were a basket case when AF took over , almost to the extent that we might have become the next Third Lanark. There is no doubt that his impact on the club at that time  , for me , makes him our greatest ever manager , even if he was only here for four years. This generation of St Mirren fans don't seem to realise that they still have a lot to thank him for !

Absolutely agree. But SAF holds grudges against many people. It’s just part of his personality unfortunately.

Tony Fitzpatrick regularly meets him and has tried many times to get him to come back to the club but SAF refuses point blank. 

Such a shame as he had such an important impact on our club and me personally.