Partick Thistle vs Arbroath - 6th January 2024

Great result. Still let a lot go in midfield but Neilson, Banzo and Fitzpatrick were great.

Also, credit to Sneddon who looked a lot more assured and his distribution was quicker too.

Great day in hospitality to boot.

Have a good night Jags fans, and safe home to the Smokies.

natalie-dormer-eating(1).gif.46333b7054111ccb99f74eddbddaeab1.gif

Could and should have put it to bed earlier than we did, but can’t really complain at a 4-0 win.

Fitzpatrick was (again) outstanding. The boy is an absolute joy to watch. Thought Graham was much improved on recent weeks today, and Bannigan was excellent as well in the second half. I also like what I seen from Luke McBeth in the admittedly limited time he was on the pitch.

Perfect game for Sneddon to have after his howler last time out, as he had essentially nothing to do.

Arbroath are absolutely shite. I appreciate there’s injuries and that, but still. 

22 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

At the time of posting that comment there was very little between teams - are you suggesting otherwise ?

Obviously Arbroath collapsed in the 2nd half - but at the time of that post, it was a close game with Thistle taking advantage of a defensive error.

Anyone can copy and paste a fans comment from early into the match then post sarcastic comments once they know the  final result after the full time whistle - but if that rocks your boat, then hey ho.

Yes I do disagree, because you really weren’t on top of the game at any point. Getting near the Thistle box a couple of times early doors does not equal “being on top”. To suggest otherwise shows either a level of delusion or a lack of knowledge of football in general.

That high line if it becomes a permanent feature for Arbroath and wasn't something McIntyre saw in Thistle he thought he could counter with it will be entertaining at least. There's not exactly the pace in the backline or Gaston if it gets beaten.

Not even dropping half a haggis supper on the floor of Glasgow Central and dousing myself in fizzed-up Irn Bru, could ruin my first trip of 2024 to Firhill.  Salt and vinegar.

I met some nice folk when Arbroath were playing down in Oswestry so will wish them a safe journey home and leave it at that.

Outside of that wee lull mid first half I'm very happy with that,could very easily have been 6 or 7 nil.Pass marks all round and was especially happy to see Bannigan look composed and in control again .Fitzpatrick just seems to get better ,BBG looked better when he tries to stay on his feet when collecting balls with his back to goal and happy for big Tommi to get a  brace although he should have had 4 .

Arbroath look like a Team with no real belief despite having reasonable possession and can only sympathise with their injury worries as teams around them pick up points.Possibly the quietest away support I've seen all season apart from one roaster at back of away section ....fair play to him though for showing some emotion.

Different game next week against the Greenock Honkers ....if they can keep their midden playable .

2 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Arbroath’s weakest performance since MacIntyre came in - defence too slow and all over the place. Shambles in terms of defending.

Shambolic defending is fine.

What's with the pundit-tastic superfluous "in terms of" shit

22 minutes ago, BdenJag said:

Thought Robinson was absolutely superb when he came on today and probably played himself into the starting line up for Cappielow 

He is usually really good when he comes on and gives a real energy. I’m not sure if he will start though. Him and tomi come on and link up well. 

I knew Arbroath had injury issues but couldn’t quite believe their starting line up, absolutely decimated.

Didn’t help that Slater went off so early either. 

To be fair, they battled away well in the first half although Thistle weren’t exactly brilliant.

Second half was one way traffic, the Arbroath right back was abysmal. 

Bannigan, Milne and Fitzy all very good. Neilson strolled it again. 

Just a bit of comment regarding the right back, he looked absolutely gassed second half, as might be expected from a brand new signing.  However, worth pointing out that towards the end of the match, he had Balde in front of him, who was playing in a much more attacking role and gave him zero assistance at a time when he was clearly knackered.  

2 hours ago, King Kenny said:

I knew Arbroath had injury issues but couldn’t quite believe their starting line up, absolutely decimated.

Didn’t help that Slater went off so early either. 

To be fair, they battled away well in the first half although Thistle weren’t exactly brilliant.

Second half was one way traffic, the Arbroath right back was abysmal. 

Bannigan, Milne and Fitzy all very good. Neilson strolled it again. 

O’Brien, Steele, Little, Dow, McKenna, Gold and Hylton all out injured and Slater off early today. You could argue that that’s 8 (7 at least) of our first choice starting 11 out injured at the same time.

When a team has a small, imbalanced squad lacking depth in certain positions, particularly at the back, barely enough players to have a functioning bench, added to the fact that this was our 3rd game in a week against the top 3 in the league then it’s no real surprise how things panned out today.