Willie Collum; good guy? complete dick? corrupt? / ..and should (Old Firm) clubs "have the power to ban him"?

Two sided poll - Willie Collum's decisions & club control over referees.  

292 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How do people think this will play out? Double down by the SFA or Collum doesn’t get their games for a while and they ignore requests from any other clubs for audio/meetings etc? It’s a dangerous game I think as it could open the floodgates for everyone else to demand answers on the numerous dubious decisions we’ve all suffered. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

This isnt intended as any sort of whataboutery, more making the point that its a dangerous PR game to play - easy to forget that referees have the power to collectively give Rangers a middle finger and either refuse to referee their games until they get an apology/the club get punished, or ref any games in the top flight whatsoever.

Yeah, the only reason the focus is on Collum and Rangers is that Rangers have made it all about Collum and Rangers.

Interesting to see that the SFA is now claiming Rangers are putting their officials at risk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67885053

In short, I think Rangers have a reason to question the decision making as it seems like the offside (while correct) wasn't brought into the equation until the SFA was pushed on it. That said, Rangers (or either side of the OF) should not have their claims considered more pressing/important/etc than other clubs. We've all seen Collum decisions go against what we see on the video replay.

It's the entitlement from Rangers, and their absolutist attitude, that frustrates me. However, that is crashing headlong into the (seeming) arrogance from officials. Referees tend to come from "the professional classes", in positions of power they do not expect to be challenged in. Jobs like lawyers and teachers. I wish no winner in a fight between the two.

24 minutes ago, lindz105 said:

Double down by the SFA...

You've got your answer, they are hitting back at Rangers, both for their claims and possibly putting officials safety at risk. That certainly comes across as doubling down.

Edited by Ric

I think they had to respond like that but it will be interesting to see how it actually plays out. Will Collum get another game at Ibrox and if he does, will his decision making be influenced by recent events, same goes for other refs….

36 minutes ago, lindz105 said:

How do people think this will play out? Double down by the SFA or Collum doesn’t get their games for a while and they ignore requests from any other clubs for audio/meetings etc? It’s a dangerous game I think as it could open the floodgates for everyone else to demand answers on the numerous dubious decisions we’ve all suffered. 

Referees to be replaced by robots.  Sevco to claim biasedness by the timothy* AI's.

Edited by Hoose Rice

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

That ref looks like he’d struggle to run the length of the pitch let alone keep up with game. 

It was at a time that many players struggled with the same.

6 minutes ago, lindz105 said:

I think they had to respond like that but it will be interesting to see how it actually plays out. Will Collum get another game at Ibrox and if he does, will his decision making be influenced by recent events, same goes for other refs….

It's outrageous if they get their way when the rest of the country get done by rangers minded officials most of the time we play them. 

8 hours ago, Ric said:

Let me get the ball running (ha! pun!) with a Collum decision that is long remembered by St Mirren fans. If I showed you this picture what do you think is happening?

b4pLs49.png

The full video (although on 480p) is available here with the incident being about 1:30 into the video.

It was 0-0, and Boruc rushes miles out of his box, makes no attempt to tackle the ball, instead tackles the man. You can see this is pretty much an open goal, and Boruc completely wiped him out.

Collum's decision? Yellow card.

Now to be fair, the rules regarding this are different now to then (it was in 2008), but the rules also stated at the time that was a red card offence.

Strachan himself admitted Boruc was lucky to stay on the pitch at the time, and as far as I am aware Collum has pointedly refused to explain his decision making.

Nobody gives a f**k ✔️ 

9 hours ago, AJF said:

I think they have, which is why the focus is instead going down the route of the club claiming there was no offside check during the VAR review, rather than claiming it should've been a penalty. They obviously disagree with Collum's decision that it wasn't a handball and believe the offside was only checked after the review ended.

I think everyone accepts that had Collum deemed it a handball offence, then the attacking phase of play would've been checked at the time and the goal disallowed for offside.

You seem to be missing the point M8,Collum has seen it hit Johnston's hand but deemed it wasn't a penalty, just because it hit his hand doesn't mean it's a pen M8.
I know rangers fans expect pens to be given every time it hits an opponents hand in the box,it's good to see that change.

Edited by willywastecoat

Shouldn't have referees from the same country judging the competition at the highest level. I would go as far to say no UK born referee should ref any game in the UK.

Remember I'm talking about the top level here. I'm not expecting a Spaniard to show up to ref a cowdenbeath match on a Thursday night.

I do however think a vote on a certain referee should be allowed without "bringing the game into disrepute". 

56 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

That ref looks like he’d struggle to run the length of the pitch let alone keep up with game. 

"Tiny" Wharton rarely left the centre circle. Despite being his usual distance from the action he disallowed a last minute Kilmarnock equaliser in the 1962 League Cup final, to the bemusement of everyone else in the stadium. His name remains offensive to Killie fans of a certain vintage.

1962102701.jpg