Asia Cup 2023

2023 AFC Asian Cup - Wikipedia

asian-football-cup-qatar-2023.jpg

Your favourite controversial emirate replaces China to host last year's Asian Cup, delayed to now for heat.

Starts on Friday, ends Saturday 10th February.

Same venues as WC bar no shipping container ground and these 2 added:

Jassim bin Hamad Stadium (15,000)
AL%20SADD_v1.072.jpg

Abdullah bin Khalifa Stadium (10,000)duhail.jpeg

Groups:

Fv2H9eZagAENlza.png

Schedule:     note kickoffs are 2 hours ahead of UK time e.g. 7:30pm game there is 5:30pm our time               opening match and final are now at Lusail Iconic Stadium

20230512_1683875550-809.jpg?1683875550

Scottish-based:

Australia (6)
(Celtic)             Marco Tilio
(Hearts)           Nathanial Atkinson, Kye Rowles
(Hibs)                Martin Boyle, Lewis Miller
(St Mirren)     Keanu Baccus

Japan (2)
(Celtic)     Reo Hatate, Daizen Maida

South Korea (2)
(Celtic)     Oh Hyeon-gyu, Yang Hyun-jun

Edited by HibeeJibee

Pre-tournament 'friendlies':

Friday 29th December
China 0-2 Oman

Sunday 31st December
Qatar 3-0 Cambodia

Monday 1st January
Japan 5-0 Thailand
China 1-2 Hong Kong          :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:     Hong Kong beat China at football for first time in 29 years | Hong Kong | The Guardian

1151.jpg?width=620&dpr=2&s=none

Tuesday 2nd January
Indonesia 0-4 Libya

Thursday 4th January
Saudi Arabia 1-0 Lebanon

Friday 5th January
Indonesia 1-2 Libya
Iran 2-1 Burkina Faso
Qatar 1-2 Jordan

Saturday 6th January
Bahrain 0-2 Australia
Iraq 0-1 South Korea

Tuesday 9th January
Indonesia 0-5 Iran
Japan 6-1 Jordan
Saudi Arabia 0-0 Palestine

Wednesday 10th January
Saudi Arabia 2-0 Hong Kong

2 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Isn't it about time that we punted Israel from UEFA and put them where they geographically belong, which is this tournament?

AFC kicked them out in the 70s before joining UEFA in the 90s 

Is there a reason this isn't usually broadcast in the UK and AFCON is?*

Perceived quality? Colonial ties? Cameroon 1990?

Spoiler

*Apologies if this is a Mandela effect on my part

37 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

AFC kicked them out in the 70s before joining UEFA in the 90s 

'Oceania' qualifying for WC 1986 included... Israel + Taiwan :lol:!

image.png.54708d612fda8620b9857252d5c88415.png

34 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Has this recently been expanded from 16 to 24 teams? Seems to be a fair few makeweights in the tournament, and it's going to take a wee while to get down to the decent sides remaining. 

18 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Is there a reason this isn't usually broadcast in the UK and AFCON is?*

Perceived quality? Colonial ties? Cameroon 1990?

BBC3 certainly covered African Nations Cup extensively since 2000s.

Far more EPL-based players then... Asian Cup was often July, mid-autumn or December (clashed with other events on TV whereas January is comparatively empty?)... evening KOs... plus Commonwealth ties/diaspora/etc.?

Edited by HibeeJibee

This is available here, albeit on a subscription network.

FiteTV (TrillerTV+) is about £6.99 a month (depending on dollar exchange). They also do a 7-day free trial if you wanted to strategically wait for the semis/final week. They also have the coverage of the Portuguese League in the UK and the Asian Champions League (though that doesn't recommence 'til mid-Feb)

Won't be dabbling myself as not all that interested, might do the free trial if there isn't anything on the box for semi-finals/final week, but in case anyone is interested

Edited by Christophe

I went to see a Qatari select play Bayern Munich in the Bin Khalifa place (I think, looks familiar) a few years back, 2015 i think.  It was your Goetze's, yer Schweinsteigers, yer Lewandowski's playing against, erm, ex Rangers* starlet, Vladimir Weiss.

Anyway the stadium was shite. Effectively a warm Tony Macaroni. 

Edited by Melanius Mullarkant

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

I went to see a Qatari select play Bayern Munich in the Bin Khalifa place (I think, looks familiar) a few years back, 2015 i think.  It was your Goetze's, yer Schweinsteigers, yer Lewandowski's playing against, erm, ex Rangers* starlet, Vladimir Weiss.

Anyway the stadium was shite. Effectively a warm Tony Macaroni. 

1E0g.gif

Qatar Stars 1-4 FC Bayern Munich | QSL

IMG_4382.jpg

50 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Thats the one. I forgot it was the bald fraud in charge and didnt realise Laudrup was doing the Qatari side. Still got my rather stylish white silk* scarf that they were handing out for free. 

*99.99999% polyester.

This tournament really does get no press here - I genuinely had no idea this was happening until they'd already kicked off. A real shame, as (like AFCON) this is another cup that features a bunch of sides that people here would realistically never get to see otherwise. Same goes for the Gold Cup.

The continental associations really need to get together and decide on a sensible timetable, as it's just daft that the Asian and African continental championships are taking place at the same time. You're going to pick one or the other. Looks like you could squeeze in an early Asian Cup game before the AFCON matches start, but four games a day is pushing it!

Apparently you can watch these matches online legitimately via something called TrillerTV? £7.99 for the month, I believe. Try not to be put off by all the wrestling pictures of big muscular angry guys and gals; I'm guessing they must have paid about ten bob for the rights to this, as it doesn't seem like their kind of thing at all.

36 minutes ago, BFTD said:

This tournament really does get no press here - I genuinely had no idea this was happening until they'd already kicked off

It was mentioned quite a lot but mostly in the context of English Premier League teams "losing player X to AFCON and player Y to the Asian Cup". Spurs and Liverpool in particular with Son and Endo were mentioned in the press. 

Agree it doesn't get as much press as AFCON does though. Probably a combination of former colonial stuff, AFCON being set in this part of the calendar (think the Asian Cup is only being played now because its in Qatar) and until recently English clubs having a lot of African players but few Asian players.

Certainly from the scoreline, Japan v Vietnam seems to be worth watching. 3-2 at half-time.

Maybe I made the wrong choice taking out a NowTV subscription to see the AFCON  :P

I had no idea there was a country called Kyrgyztan.

A country with a bigger population than Scotland and its completely passed me by.

Og Dota 2 Mind Blown GIF by Red Bull

I will be supporting them now.