St Mirren vs Celtic - Sun 11th Feb 2024 KO 2pm

We will definitely miss Kwon's energy in the middle of the park but hopefully Keanu has been given a day or two of lighter training to let him get back and acclimatised again. Sunday is a big game for him in terms of a potential shop window for his next move.

5 hours ago, Div said:

Ticket sales don't look great to say the least.

scottish-cup-saints.png

Doesn't help when things happen like my old man walking up to ticket desk at 10 to 2 on Wednesday and girl on had said she was just leaving and pulled shutter down, telling him to come back tomorrow.

Given the office closes at 2, thats a poor effort 

So no Bolton and no Kwon means two enforced changes - assume Dunne or Taylor come in and Fraser moves back to RCB, and Baccus is a straight swap for Kwon (in a bizarre way, I imagine Celtic would’ve loved to see how he fared against the likes of McGregor and O’Reilly had it been a league game - and allowed in the rules).

Wouldn’t make any other changes though - the side looks balanced right now, particularly with Mandron being on form. Would mean leaving O’Hara on the bench if he’s recovered, but CBM can’t be dropped and Baccus is a better fit alongside him.

Quietly confident of a result…. So 4-0 Celtic with the game being done by the half-hour mark is a NAP. Going with Tanser for the obligatory soft red card.

23 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Trains are fine on the Ayr line. Deisel Ayr to Prestwick then normal service to Paisley from Prestwick.

Confirmed Ayr line is fine and Gourock line is the one affected.

On 09/02/2024 at 17:38, djchapsticks said:

Doesn't help when things happen like my old man walking up to ticket desk at 10 to 2 on Wednesday and girl on had said she was just leaving and pulled shutter down, telling him to come back tomorrow.

That’s extremely poor from the ticket office, it would have taken her 5 mins to sort him with a ticket.

I don't think getting tickets is the main problem.

Probably more to do with the visiting fan base revelling in songs glorifying terrorist organisations and the associated, brain dead bigoted grunting.

Thank f**k we only give them one stand. Worth every fucking penny.

On 09/02/2024 at 19:27, codfish said:

Kwon (in a bizarre way, I imagine Celtic would’ve loved to see how he fared against the likes of McGregor and O’Reilly had it been a league game - and allowed in the rules).

I didn’t think clubs could play a loan player against a parent club in any competition. I very much doubt Celtic would want him playing against them in case we won. 

Edited by Molotov

25 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I didn’t think clubs could play a loan player against a parent club in any competition. I very much doubt Celtic would want him playing against them in case we won. 

Mo Bangura, while on loan, scored against "them" in a European tie a few seasons ago.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

I don't think getting tickets is the main problem.

Probably more to do with the visiting fan base revelling in songs glorifying terrorist organisations and the associated, brain dead bigoted grunting.

Thank f**k we only give them one stand. Worth every fucking penny.

Respect it's your opinion mate. For me it's the Scottish Cup every Saints fan should be there cheering the team on. It's a one off where our home record is decent. Home fans can help lift the team just my opinion. Hope there is a late rush for home tickets it's about us not Celtic they now have one stand. Seen us beat Celtic in the cup in Paisley with Billy Mehmet penalty. Seen us put Celtic in the semi of the league cup. These days have lived with me as a St Mirren supporter such magic days. Taking my wife and daughter to the game have a feeling we can win this game, outside chance yes but a chance we have. If your a Saints fan give the team your support they have done well by us this season.  As for Celtic fans enjoy your day but not into the quarter finals. 

On 09/02/2024 at 09:38, djchapsticks said:

That is just mental, we are a football club in the top half of the top league, not some Junior outfit run by volunteers.

Assuming she was paid till 2, your old fella deserves an apology.

On 09/02/2024 at 17:38, djchapsticks said:

@philpy moonlighting imo.

It’s disappointing if we have a low Saints turnout for this game. I will never question people’s reasons for not attending. It’s a personal choice. 

We will always have a better chance of winning a cup than the league.

Our squad now is arguably much better than the one that defeated Celtic at home in the Scottish cup in 2009. 

@gannonball @Flybhoy

Would you say the Celtic squad is better now than in 2009?

IMG_7587.thumb.jpeg.1e88be90b97011bda6ff71f11be886fc.jpeg

Come on guys and gals.

If you can afford it let’s get down and cheer the team on today. COYS. 

9 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Respect it's your opinion mate. For me it's the Scottish Cup every Saints fan should be there cheering the team on. It's a one off where our home record is decent. Home fans can help lift the team just my opinion. Hope there is a late rush for home tickets it's about us not Celtic they now have one stand. Seen us beat Celtic in the cup in Paisley with Billy Mehmet penalty. Seen us put Celtic in the semi of the league cup. These days have lived with me as a St Mirren supporter such magic days. Taking my wife and daughter to the game have a feeling we can win this game, outside chance yes but a chance we have. If your a Saints fan give the team your support they have done well by us this season.  As for Celtic fans enjoy your day but not into the quarter finals. 

Oh I'll be there.

However, plenty won't due to the reasons I cited.

It's a pity the shine is taken off such an occasion, but as the football authorities seem to think this type of behaviour is acceptable, then that's the way it's going to be in ties of this kind and any matches against them and their alter egos.

Whatever the result, I know I'll be going home wondering once again how any fan can continue to attend matches whilst their own support indulge in that type of behaviour. 

I think Bolton will be a huge miss. On their day, Dunne and Taylor can be good defenders, but both are susceptible to Keystone cops moments.

Baccus will step in for Kwon. Let's hope both he and CBM can last 90 minutes, as without O'Hara and Kwon we're very light in that area.

Think the key will be Mandron roughing up their centre halves as they're both pretty average. If Scott and Tanser can get the ball in early we might reap the rewards.

Would be nice to see Kiltie exhibiting some composure in front of goal, as his play over the past few games has deserved a goal or two.

A refereeing team and VAR team displaying an iota of competence would be welcome too.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

It’s disappointing if we have a low Saints turnout for this game. I will never question people’s reasons for not attending. It’s a personal choice. 

We will always have a better chance of winning a cup than the league.

Our squad now is arguably much better than the one that defeated Celtic at home in the Scottish cup in 2009. 

@gannonball @Flybhoy

Would you say the Celtic squad is better now than in 2009?

IMG_7587.thumb.jpeg.1e88be90b97011bda6ff71f11be886fc.jpeg

Come on guys and gals.

If you can afford it let’s get down and cheer the team on today. COYS. 

I would say that team was a bit better than the one we have today mainly because Its pretty close to the team that took Milan to extra time in the knock out stages of the champions league. I'm Sure we beat you 7-0 in the league week before too :lol:. I only caught the last two goals as was out the night before had no sleep and went straight to the game passed out in my seat woke up at half time to find it was 5-0! What made the game even stranger was no striker  scored any of the 7 goals. We then got chucked out the cup in the game your talking about then stumbled the league away with misfiring strikers. Alot of people pointed the finger at Lawwell as we needed a fresh striker and he fucked about with Fletcher in the January window. Infact a bit of deja vu here with that...

Edited by gannonball

31 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I'm Sure we beat you 7-0 in the league week before too. 

Correct. I think our team must have been out with you the night before.

IMG_7588.thumb.jpeg.8b281810c35dfbe17a45e7b35b2f7bcf.jpeg

The financial gulf existed then and if anything has gotten worse. 

I think it demonstrates how much better a squad we have now. Given we are majority fan owned it’s quite incredible to see the quality.

Thats not to say we won’t get turned over by Celtic. The bookies are rarely wrong. Especially with these stats if accurate.

“During the last 26 meetings with St Mirren FC playing at home, St Mirren FC have won 3 times, there have been 3 draws while Celtic have won 20 times. The goal difference is 55-16 in favour of Celtic.

During the last 55 meetings, St Mirren have won 5 times, there have been 5 draws while Celtic have won 45 times. The goal is 141-30 in favour of Celtic”

I live in hope rather than expectation!