St Johnstone v Aberdeen 24 January 7.45pm

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just seen the disallowed goal, and fucking hell.

How can they spend 4/5 minutes watching this, send the ref to the monitor, and decide thats a foul?

Penalties have been given for a lot, lot, lot less.

8 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

TBF to him, he's inherited one of the worst squads we've had in many a year. No pace, constantly injured forwards, no real right back and no wingers.

He's done what's needed, made us hard to beat and be in most games. It's not going to be pretty but we have a chance now of staying up. Could any of us envisaged that before CL was appointed? 

We were down before he came in.

I just struggle with how passive everything is. Understand sitting in and grinding out results is best tmfor points etc., but as a match going fan its really hard to buy into when its not getting you wins.

Weekend will tell whether passive, safe, football for the majority of the match is the norm, or whether it was to combat Aberdeen and try and grind out a point like TW used to do, simply to "stop the rot".

17 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Please come back on here at 10pm to discuss further..

More happened in that second half last night than has taken place in the last five St Johnstone/Aberdeen matches combined.

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just seen the disallowed goal, and fucking hell.

How can they spend 4/5 minutes watching this, send the ref to the monitor, and decide thats a foul?

Smells desperately like VAR trying to get involved for the sake of it, ridiculous decision.

6 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Any St Johnstone bitching about the VAR given penalty should rap up.

On the basis Levein acknowledged after the game he’d been told by his back room staff who had seen it back, that it was a penalty.

You're not really saying fans can't complain at a decision if an individual from their club thinks it was one are you? 

It's soft as they come and no need for VAR to intervene given Beaton was looking right at it. Most fans would be annoyed at that being against them.

15 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

You're not really saying fans can't complain at a decision if an individual from their club thinks it was one are you? 

It's soft as they come and no need for VAR to intervene given Beaton was looking right at it. Most fans would be annoyed at that being against them.

I think this is entirely the point, on both occasions Beaton has been looking right at it, played on and dismissed it as a foul from being 10 yards away. There is zero reason for VAR to intervene on either point as there is no clear and obvious error, unless the criteria for VAR being applied has changed, which it may have. Either way, how anyone can say it’s made the game better up here is beyond me, I was lucky enough to miss the game and watched on TV so I could see it unfold, but for those in the stadium it must have been infuriating. 

Three VAR decisions this week all good examples of VAR not being what is was sold to fans as before it came in.

Hearts' penalty, Aberdeen's penalty, St Johnstone's disallowed goal. All far from clear and obvious, and it's also arguable that the contact that there was in each case was trivial and had no impact on what was happening.

Three decisions we didn't need in our game.

21 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Three VAR decisions this week all good examples of VAR not being what is was sold to fans as before it came in.

Hearts' penalty, Aberdeen's penalty, St Johnstone's disallowed goal. All far from clear and obvious, and it's also arguable that the contact that there was in each case was trivial and had no impact on what was happening.

Have to agree. It’s being used to re referee games and not for clear and obvious errors. It’s putting me off attending games. 

As for last night we didn’t deserve anything from the game and so point is a bonus. Any manager that thinks Polvara should be starting games for Aberdeen really needs to be looking for alternative employment. 

I still have so many issues with this team but glad we took at least a point last night as a defeat would've been harsh.

There is no attacking threat or dynamism in midfield (Kucheriavyi at least provided the former when he was introduced) and the lack of width is crippling. Jaiyesimi has such a thankless task.

Can Levein do that much over the next week? I don't hold out much hope but the summer rebuild needs to be substantial. Again.

Aberdeen very disappointing but a good example of the overall standard of team in this league.

4 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I can't remember the last time I watched a decent game with St Johnstone. 

About March 2021. And that was on a stream. So just be glad you don't have to watch it every week.

51 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Totally agree.This analysing the game through a microscope is ruining the game.Its a contact sport ffs.The disallowed goal in particular was ridiculous.The 'foul' did nothing to influence the goal and surely that's what VAR was brought in to do

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

A lot of VAR decisions can be defended by saying ‘aye but there was some contact’ and/or ‘there’s something in it’ which actually misses the entire point of what it’s meant to be there for. 

Also completely misses the whole purpose of having penalties and offside in the first place. Way back, when these rules were brought it, it was to stop serious fouling in the box, that would probably have lead to a goal or to make sure teams didn't stick a striker up the pitch in front of the goal and lump it up to them. They were not for minimal contact or millimeters of someone being offside.

I am not against VAR as such, but it's use is killing the game. As a fan in the ground, 3/4/5 minutes of sitting around waiting on a decision is killing me and if I'm honest, I don't celebrate a goal in the way I used to as you have in the back of mind it might get chopped off.

Another few years of this sanitisation and I'm not sure how many fans will bother gping to games any more tbh. 

Robson ‘ we controlled the game without too much penetration ’

his own words. Why oh why then would he change the formation at 1-0 up to a system that doesn’t work for any part of the team with the players we have. We then proceeded to turn into a kick and rush shambles and the inevitable equaliser happened, and could have turned into a loss except for the woodwork. 
He’s just not cutting it and needs to go. 
Polvara is having a mare and we needed fresh impetus. Put Duk on at left of the 3 behind miovski and get him putting the fear into them, giving the team and the game a lift. Absolutely no need to change everything. He’s obsessed with this 3-5-2 and it’s honking. 

37 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Robson ‘ we controlled the game without too much penetration ’

his own words. Why oh why then would he change the formation at 1-0 up to a system that doesn’t work for any part of the team with the players we have. We then proceeded to turn into a kick and rush shambles and the inevitable equaliser happened, and could have turned into a loss except for the woodwork. 
He’s just not cutting it and needs to go. 
Polvara is having a mare and we needed fresh impetus. Put Duk on at left of the 3 behind miovski and get him putting the fear into them, giving the team and the game a lift. Absolutely no need to change everything. He’s obsessed with this 3-5-2 and it’s honking. 

It’s also not really true. Don’t think we can really say we controlled the game other than the opening 15 mins maybe. 

13 hours ago, saint in exile said:

Exactly.

Yes you can  say a player is away to take a corner , and before he takes it another player punches an opponent in the pus in the box , it’s a sending off and penalty 

18 minutes ago, Wee jeemie said:

Yes you can  say a player is away to take a corner , and before he takes it another player punches an opponent in the pus in the box , it’s a sending off and penalty 

I may be reading you wrongly here but the rules are clear.   If a player punches a player (or commits any other foul)  in the box before the corner is taken the offending player would be punished as the referee sees fit.  The corner would still need to be taken.  There would be NO penalty.  There was an incident similar to this sort of situation in a European tie at Ibrox many years ago and one in the Dutch league a couple of years ago.

“If an offence occurs when the ball is not in play, this does not change how play is restarted.” And also: “If the ball is out of play, play is restarted according to the previous decision.”