Relegation thread - who's going down?

looking at the fixtures this weekend we have....

Partick v Dunfermline

Arbroath v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Ayr United v Raith Rovers

Dundee United v Queen's Park

Greenock Morton v Airdrie

An Arbroath win and losses for Dunfermline, Ayr, Airdrie and Queens Park this weekend and we will end up with those 6 teams being separated by only 7 points. SO this league is far from over for Arbroath. Far too close to call just now.

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Partick v Dunfermline

An Arbroath win and losses for Dunfermline, Ayr, Airdrie and Queens Park this weekend and we will end up with those 6 teams being separated by only 7 points. SO this league is far from over for Arbroath. Far too close to call just now.

These results would make an interesting accumulator.

Nearly at the business end of the season and as ever it's all to play for in this incredible league.

Apart from Arbroath who I just can't see avoiding automatic relegation everything else is still to be decided.

Who will win the league? 

Who will make the promotion play off's?

Who will end up in 9th spot and will they eventually go down? 

It's all going to get a bit frantic and nailbitting very, very soon... 

Edited by Colkitto

With Dunfermline's huge victory at Firhill tonight, tomorrow's game between Arbroath and Inverness now carries even more importance.

A win for Inverness would be disastrous for the smokies, with a best case scenario of being 8 points adrift (if Queens Park also failed to win). Albeit they would have a game in hand over a couple of the sides above. A win for Arbroath and they move 3 points behind Caley with a game in hand.

Dunfermline have stopped the rot and will be delighted to have gained ground on the sides directly above. Arbroath's position still looks very risky, they need a result. Everything else is too close too call for now.

Edited by AUcal

On 19/02/2024 at 14:28, RedLichtie86 said:

Partick v Dunfermline

How's this going for ya? 

On 04/02/2024 at 13:33, keptie said:

Of course Guardiola is a better manager but he hasn't worked with a part time team with a ridiculous injury list that he cannot just throw millions to fix so I seriously doubt it.

You really don’t think that Guardiola would do a better job? 

After last nights result the game up at Gayfield is now massive for Arbroath who surely need to win here. 5th-9th separated by 4 points at the moment got to be a few nervous teams right now. Still a 3rd of the season to go so plenty games for it to all change. 

There has no doubt been an improvement in our results and performances under Scott Brown, 2 wins from 3 league games with our only defeat coming courtesy of our keeper chucking two in against Dundee United however we’ve far from out the sticky stuff. Dunfermline winning at Firhill last night putting a spanner in the works.

From todays games I’m hoping for a draw between ICT and Arbroath, Morton to beat Airdrie and Dundee United to beat QP. 

We haven't won two games in a row all season and seem utterly incapable of keeping a clean sheet (just 3 all season). If anyone around puts together even just 2 or 3 wins we will be in an even bigger mess than we are now. I wouldn't even be a little bit shocked if we ended up relegated either automatically or via the playoffs.

Think I’m changing who I think will end up 9th every week. I’m going to assume Arbroath finish 10th (dangerous assumption but honestly can’t see anything higher even if they get the odd win from this point) 

For large periods, I had ourselves as the main candidate for 9th but Davidson really has turned things around for us and we’re generally really solid at the back now. Having one of the best strikers in the league is also a bonus 

For a couple weeks, my money was on Dunfermline but I’m not convinced they’re going to be mince for the rest of the season (thistle result was huge) Inverness I feel can pull a couple of decent results for no reason at all other than a hunch 

As of today, I’m really curious to see how Airdrie get on over the next few games. They’ve done very well this season and I hadn’t even considered them for 9th until the last 2-3 weeks but having looked at their remaining fixtures, 8 of their remaining 13 games are away from home and they have the worst away record in the league if I’m not mistaken? (Of course one of the away wins were against us) In contrast, their home form is excellent and I’m very curious to see how we get on when we play them next Saturday 

So hard to tell 

We just can’t get a win, we were 2-0 up against Partick and then lead again in the last minute, couldn’t win. We apparently played well in the first half yesterday, couldn’t score and ended up grabbing a point. We are dire at home and can’t build a run of form at all - we get a great win at Raith but everything is immediately deflated. 

Of all the teams from 5th to 9th we are on the worst position, I’d be very surprised if we can get out of it.