Blue sin bin cards

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

No doubt the Smeltic fans will be up in arms that’s it’s blue/Rankers fans will be up in arms that it’s blue.

Presumably it was a choice between orange and blue. Staunch-ness either way.

when players are sinbinned they should be made to sit in imported old fashioned Junior grounds toilets stinking of fousty pish. That will teach the players a lesson while they hold their breath for ten minutes.

What if there's a lengthy delay for something like an injury while there's a  player in the bin? He might only miss about 3 minutes of actual game play!

What if he's injured on his way to the bin 🤔

What if a player gives the ref dog's abuse while being substituted ... does he have to stay on but not be on the park?

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

It's a good step in the right direction. Tactical fouls are simply cheating in my book and I welcome any attempt to clamp down on them.

My idea was another card after yellow, but no sin bin. Every single foul, barring offsides or conceding a passback etc, is now an automatic yellow card minimum. Orange is just current yellow. Two oranges for a red, 4 yellows for a red, 1 orange and 2 yellows for a red. The way forward is to try remove as much subjectivity as possible.

What in the actual f**k is this. 

This has been trialled before I'm sure, it's certainly not a new idea, must have been talking about it for at least 20 years. Can't see it ever coming in, doesn't really work. 

3 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

What if there's a lengthy delay for something like an injury while there's a  player in the bin? He might only miss about 3 minutes of actual game play!

What if he's injured on his way to the bin 🤔

What if a player gives the ref dog's abuse while being substituted ... does he have to stay on but not be on the park?

What if someone puts out the brown bin instead of the blue bin and it doesnt get emptied? 

So many questions. 

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's something stakeholders have been asking for, it's been tested at grassroots level and seems to have worked well there, and now they're considering trying it out at a lower semi-professional level for anyone who wants to try it.

The story was released in a clickbaity way to get people all worked up and it has certainly succeeded in that.

Who are these stakeholders, are they folk who pay to watch the game ?  And having an opinion isn't getting all worked up.

This is very confusing. If a foul is cynical, why aren't they getting a yellow card for it? If a player is mouthing off at the ref, why aren't they getting a yellow card for it? If the answer is that the refs are scared to dish out yellows to aggressive angry wallopers, why would they be any more likely to give them blue cards, knowing that they'll be back on the pitch in ten minutes with a chip on their shoulder?

(I think they're likely to be blue for the same reason that you don't get yellow, red and orange traffic lights TBF)

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Who are these stakeholders, are they folk who pay to watch the game ?  And having an opinion isn't getting all worked up.

Referees, coaches and players. I don't think people pay to watch the game at the levels these have been used at so far.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

This is very confusing. If a foul is cynical, why aren't they getting a yellow card for it? If a player is mouthing off at the ref, why aren't they getting a yellow card for it? If the answer is that the refs are scared to dish out yellows to aggressive angry wallopers, why would they be any more likely to give them blue cards, knowing that they'll be back on the pitch in ten minutes with a chip on their shoulder?

(I think they're likely to be blue for the same reason that you don't get yellow, red and orange traffic lights TBF)

This is supposed to be a more severe punishment than a yellow card, I assume it's basically like a yellow card plus 10 minutes off the park.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Referees, coaches and players. I don't think people pay to watch the game at the levels these have been used at so far.

This is supposed to be a more severe punishment than a yellow card, I assume it's basically like a yellow card plus 10 minutes off the park.

That doesn’t address the point that refs already apply the existing rules inconsistently. A more severe punishment doesn’t do anything to help that.

Not withstanding the point that having sin bins in a sport without a stop clock is monumentally stupid. And don’t get me started on stop clocks in football.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

What refs, coaches and players have said they want it? Quick twitter search there and it’s just  Rodgers, Postecoglou and Klopp saying they hate it and tonnes of blue ticks making shite jokes 

16 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

What refs, coaches and players have said they want it? Quick twitter search there and it’s just  Rodgers, Postecoglou and Klopp saying they hate it and tonnes of blue ticks making shite jokes 

At grassroots level. https://theathletic.com/5104483/2023/12/03/grassroots-sin-bins-fa-premier-league/?source=emp_shared_article

Edited by craigkillie

This isn't about the colour of cards, as cautions and orderings off existed before yellow and red cards were introduced, but a (relatively) seismic rule change.

I don't see how a sin bin in football can work. It's too severe a punishment IMO, and the subjective nature of what is worthy of being sin binned for is too great.

A referee making a c**t of a decision on the edge of your box, causing complaint, potentially leading to the loss of a goal and a player for 10 minutes is too much.

As others have said just apply the current laws consistently and all would be fine.

I think for youth football it might work. You can sin bin worked up or angry children and calm them down rather than sending them off and causing more problems. I imagine at that level the sin bin is probably more useful for parents acting like its the world cup final though.

In professional football I don't see what it fixes. Refs can (and should) be booking any player going over the mark. Not sure why a sin bin is any more effective there than the punishments refs can already dish out.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think for youth football it might work. You can sin bin worked up or angry children and calm them down rather than sending them off and causing more problems. I imagine at that level the sin bin is probably more useful for parents acting like its the world cup final though.

In professional football I don't see what it fixes. Refs can (and should) be booking any player going over the mark. Not sure why a sin bin is any more effective there than the punishments refs can already dish out.

I've seen youth games where the ref has just asked a coach to sub a player, rather than issuing a red card.

I appreciate that won't happen in every case but leagues could just instruct refs/coaches to do that rather than introducing a whole different aspect to the game.