Ayr United v Raith Rovers

We struggled all game to break Raith down. I thought their press was very good and a fantastic finish from Vaughn for the second (gutting time to lose a goal). 

McGinty unlucky with the header off the bar in the second half but that was about it for us.

Results elsewhere went our way at least. 

Edit - thought we really missed Reading as left wing back today. 

Edited by ecocme

1st half was decent enough from us. Thought we were on top until the 2nd Raith goal. 

2nd half was brain numbingly turgid from both. We were so lethargic, as though we were playing in treacle.  Zero intensity or purpose. The frustrating hoofball of yore made a comeback. Ripped my nut watching it. 

Raith were gifted two goals and we limited them to very few chances, we spent a lot of the game with Raith hemmed in to their own half without putting a ball in their box. 

We were always going to struggle with the players that were out but its players playing in their natural position that fucked us. 

10 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Raith were gifted two goals and we limited them to very few chances, we spent a lot of the game with Raith hemmed in to their own half without putting a ball in their box. 

We were always going to struggle with the players that were out but its players playing in their natural position that fucked us. 

Thank f**k Ayr United played if it’d just been our players on the pitch it’d been 0-0. 

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I used to work in Drumchapel and don't miss that walk.

ETA - it was probably no more dangerous than working in Drumchapel tbf.

There's no reason to walk between the stations too get a drumchapel train.

7 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

On Sundays there is. Or at least there was ten years ago. No idea if that's changed.

Low level to Partick, can change there out the weather.

Thought we played well at times but defensively we are still honking. Raith looked well organised and played in some very dangerous crosses/passes.

Sanders looked suspect for 2nd goal losing Vaughn who finished it very well.

McGinty unlucky with header off the crossbar, on the other hand Easton thundered one off crossbar for Raith as well. I do wish we'd try more shots, at least a couple of occasions where Ayr overplayed it when a shot haskmore chance of being the better option.

Quite envious of the depth of Raiths forwards. Having Vaughn, Rudden and Hamilton as options up front makes a very good championship forward line.

Just home and a wins a win but wasn't pretty. Ayr dominated for long spells in that game. Why they weren't pinging crosses in, is beyond me? Had us in the air, like most teams do. We need at least 1 centre half who is over 6"3, rarely win a header these days and Ayr's goal optimised that. 

Turner for Ashcroft, blew my mind?? That should have either been a straight swap for Corr or Matthews. Again seen nothing from Turner to suggest he's been a good signing, in fact after that Ayr dominated the midfield until Matthews came on and gave a little bit bite in there. 

Ashcroft hammy is a bummer, I thought at 1st it was studs to the leg. That could be a pivotal blow if Murray is out as well. Tackle was definitely worthy of a free kick and possibly a yellow. 

2 great goals and Dabrowski with some huge saves again. 

Linesman at our end and ref in the second were absolutely shocking. Linesman gave two offsides and both times the Rovers players were in front of the defender.

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

1st of three games in 6 days, but at what cost injury wise? 

Still we keep on going. 

Manager suggesting at best a month for Ashcroft but could be until the end of the season! What a blow this is for everyone concerned.🥺

20 hours ago, itzdrk said:

According to Transfermarkt our hilarious record with him in charge is:

P 27 - W 3 - D 7 - L 17

Last win: 10/17/20

It's almost match fixing appointing him :lol:

It's only fair to say that Raith bantered us off by letting us have the ball and us not having a fucking clue what to do with it today.   McLean didn't even need to step in to secure the W.  

I've genuinely never known sadness like finding out McCalister was a late inclusion in the lineup, the fact he got forward more than usual while being trident in defence was the perfect storm for shitness.  

Sanders selling the jerseys at the second goal and blaming the sun which was behind him tells a lot about him as a player as well.  

Polis were a bit overzealous with the Raith fans on the train.  They really weren't any bother but the train was stopped for 15 mins to get a couple Moretti's off.  Next carriage was just full of young lassies with dragon scoop but because some young boys were singing about Ian Murray the polis turn up.  A nonsense.