Ayr United v Raith Rovers

Looking forward to this.

Rovers appear to have found their mojo again after a big win on Friday night, they won't want it to count for nought so would expect them to be right up for it. Ayr have also seen an improvement in performances of late and will be looking to stretch the gap to the bottom even further. 

In the game at Stark's in December we had a quite a lot of joy from really having a go at the Rovers defence, utilising the pace of Chalmers and Amartey to stretch their backline in every direction. It will probably be a different game here, but I'd still like us to show that same intensity and attacking intent. Chalmers to come back into the starting lineup. Our improved defensive performances of late have been good to see, McGinty in particular was excellent at Airdrie, and they'll have to be at their best again against a Raith side who will have their tails up. 

Prediction: Ayr 2-2 Raith

Brown will have a few deflection headaches. Stanger back from suspension, wonder if he’ll come straight back in. Possible 2 spaces from 3 in Musonda, Sanders and Stanger for 1 CB spot and RB, not sure if McAllister will be back and probably wanting more experience in there over Tomlinson. Murphy going off yesterday will pose question marks over his fitness. Albinson will be back in goal with Mutch injured. Only certainties will be Syla/Dempsey centre mid with McKenzie/Dowds up top. 

I just get the feeling that this could just be the first League match of the season decided by more than one goal. It’s mental to consider we’ve 14 one goal wins, 4 one goal losses and 5 ties right now. I just feel something happened with Broonie’s shot, it punctured the whole morass of a losing streak and it might just be the impetus for a stretch run. Can we keep up with DU, yes…will we, IDK.

As for Ayr, the form has been good, but it’s getting to about that point where the new manager bounce can sometimes hiccup a bit. However, Dowds certainly seems to have come to life for the Honest Men, so it certainly shouldn’t be an easy match either way.

I say 1-3, but a one goal result either way shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Edited by TxRover

Really looking forward to this after Friday's result.  Another tough game but the players should be full of confidence having ended the poor run.

Expecting a pretty decent travelling support to go down for this too.  I suspect Scott Brown's screamer on Friday will result in at least double the number of away fans we would've had if we'd lost.

I imagine Byrne will be a doubt for this with concussion protocols after taking a whack in the face on Friday.  Scott Brown the obvious replacement.  I would expect a couple of other changes in attacking areas too but hopefully the same back 4.

Ayr will be confident after a good win but it did really feel like we turned a corner on Friday and I'm going to join Tx in predicting a Rovers win by a couple of goals.

29 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

I imagine Byrne will be a doubt for this with concussion protocols after taking a whack in the face on Friday.  Scott Brown the obvious replacement.  I would expect a couple of other changes in attacking areas too but hopefully the same back 4.

Tbh I’d play both brown and Matthews in this one Ayr as we saw have pace and power and quite a physical side and we need 2 people who is up for the fight then Stanton in the 10 role, but that’s just my opinion though 

4 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

If we win on Saturday can someone phone the Ayrshire police for quote on quote winning a football match… according to a few on socials we’re not allowed to do that or it’s classed as “over the top” or “embarrassing the way they’re celebrating” 

You okay?

Going to be out of the country for this one.  I'm assuming if I want to watch the Ayr stream I'd have to buy a monthly pass, anybody any idea how much it is?  Had a look on the Ayr site but it just says subscriptions open on the day of the match.

5 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

Are Raith likely to bring more than the usual 200 fans?

Yes, and hopefully we won’t be shoved into that ramshackle of a main stand.

Edited by Enigma

11 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

Are Raith likely to bring more than the usual 200 fans?

Probably, I’d estimate around 350 to 400. 

Unfortunately I’m unlikely going to make this one, hopeful we will build on last Fridays result.

1 minute ago, mrpaddyx said:

Probably, I’d estimate around 350 to 400. 

Unfortunately I’m unlikely going to make this one, hopeful we will build on last Fridays result.

You will probably be put up in the stand then and maybe the enclosure below.

13 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Yes, and hopefully we won’t be shoved into that ramshackle of a main stand.

It's only the small teams like Cove, Hamilton and Raith Rovers who get put in that stand.

11 hours ago, AUcal said:

Looking forward to this.

Rovers appear to have found their mojo again after a big win on Friday night, they won't want it to count for nought so would expect them to be right up for it.

Well, we managed our 14th league victory of the season* by a one goal margin, if we can call that getting our mojo back! The hard part is now stringing a couple of wins together again and seeing where that takes us. If we could possibly avoid giving Ayr the huge amount of space we provided in the last game at Stark's this time around, then that would be nice as well. 

*Yes, that's all of them. Every single league win has been by a single goal. 

7 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

It's only the small teams like Cove, Hamilton and Raith Rovers who get put in that stand.

I’m going to email our BoD and have it seen to that you get stuck in the main stand corner on your return to Stark’s if we don’t get the behind the goal option at Somerset.

Just now, Michael W said:

*Yes, that's all of them. Every single league win has been by a single goal. 

It's absolutely mental.

Surely there can't have been a side win that many games at the 2/3 point of the season, and not 1 of them by more than a single goal.

For what it's worth I really hope you lot keep it up till the end. Would much rather see a fellow diddy team win, just so long as we can have 3 points on Saturday.

Also Dundee United supporters seem to be a very precious lot. The tears all over the place after Friday night about "over celebrating" and tackles has been very amusing.

4 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Don’t think it’s allocated seating m9, could just move somewhere else. 

To be fair, I just needed to lean forward slightly and it was fine. Doesn’t make a good picture though 🙂