Dumbarton vs Stranraer

Match Outcome  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Match Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/24 at 13:59

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I have. And that's still the position we're in. If you ask our chairman about club finances then he'll give you a 1 word answer - grim.

That doesnt mean that we don't need change.

If it's Farrell until the end of the season then it's Farrell, but I'd expect his performance to be subject to a discussion and his future to be in doubt.  If we've got any money left from the Rangers game then dismissing him becomes a consideration. If we don't then that doesnt allow the board to sit in their bubble and refuse to engage with fans. Finances in the grubber? What are they doing to try to improve things?

So something has to change. We need to improve on the park. If Farrell can't achieve that then the club needs to find a way to pay for a change in manager or they need to come clean to fans, set out the club's position and be clear on what they're doing to try to change things. What we can't have is Farrell limping on as Dumbarton manager, the club saying and doing very little and fans becoming increasingly angry with the situation. All that achieves is driving fans away when people eventually reach the point where they've had enough.

Agreed, but that's the base case scenario as far as I can see.

19 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Agreed, but that's the base case scenario as far as I can see.

And thats what needs to change.

The club needs to be brutally honest with fans and to hope that by engaging properly with the support then enough fans are sympathetic to whats happening right now and are willing to stick with the club.

13 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The club needs to be brutally honest with fans and to hope that by engaging properly with the support then enough fans are sympathetic to whats happening right now and are willing to stick with the club.

Why should fans be sympathetic here ?  It's not the supporters who have taken DFC to their current state.  There's not one part of the club functioning properly right now, whose fault is that ?

21 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

There's nothing to suggest the Club are remotely interested in engaging with the support.

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

Why should fans be sympathetic here ?  It's not the supporters who have taken DFC to their current state.  There's not one part of the club functioning properly right now, whose fault is that ?

You're correct. None of this is the fault of supporters.

That doesnt mean that a bit of proper leadership from the club wouldn't give the fans a proper understanding of whats happening right now and what the club is trying to do to improve things. Proper leadership from the club might just galvanise the support a little and give our current struggles far more context.

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

There's nothing to suggest the Club are remotely interested in engaging with the support.

I've got first hand experience of that. Straight from the horse's mouth. Sadly I know all too well the kind of struggles that what I'm suggesting would face.

We couldn't afford to sack Farrell last season so why the he'll could we afford to extend his contract?lm fed up hearing the board need to communicate with the fans. Will someone explain why after the last depressing years they will now. There not interested in fans they just want to strut around looking important. My worry is sell the land for housing and let the club collapse and we can then sell more land for houses. Don't know what the answer is but as fans we have a fight off the field. On the field lve given up even though I go home home and away. 

5 minutes ago, Sawkye said:

We couldn't afford to sack Farrell last season so why the he'll could we afford to extend his contract?lm fed up hearing the board need to communicate with the fans. Will someone explain why after the last depressing years they will now. There not interested in fans they just want to strut around looking important. My worry is sell the land for housing and let the club collapse and we can then sell more land for houses. Don't know what the answer is but as fans we have a fight off the field. On the field lve given up even though I go home home and away. 

Extending his contract doesn’t necessarily cost anything if he remains on the same terms as before, it’s just more secure for him over a longer period.

Yes but looking at our position now it will cost more if the board grows a pair and sacks him . And do we know its the same conditions or better for him, remember he's a union guy so he knows how to work an extension. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

This is all assuming that the board is making the decisions here.  I'll hazard that no-one farts without permission of the main man.

Aye, the more the downward spiral continues on the pitch the more the main man rubs his hands.

Managed decline in action.

17 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

This is all assuming that the board is making the decisions here.  I'll hazard that no-one farts without permission of the main man.

I hope that you are not suggesting 'aquiescence'?

Right, here's what I hope we'll see on Saturday:

Hogarth

Lynas, Newbury, Crighton, Blair

Carlo, Gray, Malcolm

Healy

Kelly, Ruth

With Healy playing a free role to drop into the hole, drift wide and join up with the frontline making it an asymmetrical 442-cum-433.

Alas, the lineup will be whatever Stevie's tombola provides and the formation will be the same as ever.

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

When does this loan market close, if not already? Does it even close these days? Be good if we could get someone in with R.Wallace's freed up wage.

Pretty sure we can loan until the end of February. That's why I mentioned over on Sons Sorrow about us using his wage elsewhere. It would be absolutely idiotic not to try and improve the squad, given the state it is currently in.

52 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Right, here's what I hope we'll see on Saturday:

Hogarth

Lynas, Newbury, Crighton, Blair

Carlo, Gray, Malcolm

Healy

Kelly, Ruth

With Healy playing a free role to drop into the hole, drift wide and join up with the frontline making it an asymmetrical 442-cum-433.

Alas, the lineup will be whatever Stevie's tombola provides and the formation will be the same as ever.

You would drop Orsi but start Healy and Kelly? He hasn't been in great form, but for me the latter guys look like boys playing against men. I'd like to think they can contribute, but I have so many concerns. It also says a lot about the state of our squad and the players we have that you have Blair at LB.

I'd be inclined to make it a back 3/5 with wingbacks. I thought Lennon looked more comfortable (less uncomfortable??) when he was pushed out wide at the weekend. But that also left us with Carlo at RCB, when you'd rather he was further forward. That would also leaves us questions over putting Lynas back in at RCB or putting him at RWB, Carlo to LWB and putting Lennon into his, apparently, natural position at CB.

I just want him to shake it up a bit more and have a go. We are limping and look very badly wounded at the moment. If we don't make some changes, we will continue to falter. But, the state of our squad, the imbalance throughout and the fact we have basically no players in good form makes it a difficult one.

All that being said, I expect little to no changes for this match... 

Edited by squeezebox-son

20 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

You would drop Orsi but start Healy and Kelly? He hasn't been in great form, but for me the latter guys look like boys playing against men. I'd like to think they can contribute, but I have so many concerns. It also says a lot about the state of our squad and the players we have that you have Blair at LB.

I'd be inclined to make it a back 3/5 with wingbacks. I thought Lennon looked more comfortable (less uncomfortable??) when he was pushed out wide at the weekend. But that also left us with Carlo at RCB, when you'd rather he was further forward. That would also leaves us questions over putting Lynas back in at RCB or putting him at RWB, Carlo to LWB and putting Lennon into his, apparently, natural position at CB.

I just want him to shake it up a bit more and have a go. We are limping and look very badly wounded at the moment. If we don't make some changes, we will continue to falter. But, the state of our squad, the imbalance throughout and the fact we have basically no players in good form makes it a difficult one.

All that being said, I expect little to no changes for this match... 

Orsi frustrates me. He could do better, but usually doesn't. Healy and Kelly have only just joined so deserve a run of games to try and make an impact. Blair has played less terribly in his two LB appearances than his generally underwhelming midfield performances.

Whatever the formation I'd suggest Stevie finds a way of including Ruth, Orsi, Gray, Newbury, Lynas and Carlo. Setting aside football ability for a moment, it makes sense to field individuals who boast a little pace as we've been so fucking stagnant and slow recently.

15 hours ago, George Parr said:

Whatever the formation I'd suggest Stevie finds a way of including Ruth, Orsi, Gray, Newbury, Lynas and Carlo. Setting aside football ability for a moment, it makes sense to field individuals who boast a little pace as we've been so fucking stagnant and slow recently.

That's a bold shout George considering our park is more suited to Clydesdales than whippets.