Dumbarton vs Stranraer

Match Outcome  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Match Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/24 at 13:59

Fair play to us for coming back from conceding early. I really thought we’d crumble. We should be further ahead, though. Next goal is going to be crucial, as while Stranraer don’t look very good, we’re definitely capable of blowing it. When we get the ball down and play, we look really dangerous. Just need to cut out the stupid aimless long balls.

Edited by FifeSons

I feared the worst after 5 minutes - we looked an absolute rabble and were already 1 down but since then this is the best we’ve played in months. Cian Newbury has been excellent and he’s such a huge upgrade on Blair Malcolm it’s not real. 

It looks like we’re trying a few different things, we look far more direct and we aren’t trying to walk the ball in. It’s nice to see us producing defence splitting passes for a change.

Finlay Gray and Tony Wallace should never be dropped for inferior bench warmers again.

17 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

That bit of play just sums up Orsi. World class touch and control, followed by an awful attempt at a cross.

Orsi would probably be even better on a wider pitch.

Hopefully we can finish off Stranraer 2nd half.

Proverbial game of two halves.

Thought that despite losing the early goal, Dumbarton were by far the better side in the first half. At times we were playing some decent stuff on our disaster of a park. That all changed in the 2nd half and Stranraer seemed to be sharper and first to every 50/50 ball. A few dangerous moments where it looked like we might give up an equaliser. Thought the ref was atrocious. Some of the fouls that weren't given for poor and reckless tackles on Gray were shocking. And some that were even given to Stranraer. Linesman called a couple of things today that the ref otherwise wasn't giving.

Hopefully Farrell has learned that we're a better team with Gray and Wallace. I thought Newbury did ok pushed into midfield. I thought Lennon looked pretty poor today and didnt inspire any more confidence playing centre half than he does as a left back, I'd like to see Carlo playing the Div Wilson role and Lynas in at right back as I think that Lynas and Orsi down the right and Carlo as the right sided midfielder of the 3 would be a far stronger proposition. Michael Ruth with another gutsy, hard working performance -  he really would be an absolute star at this level in a more consistent team.

The 2nd half we seemed to revert back to type a bit which I found odd but Stranraer also looked a hell of a lot better than their first half horror show.

I thought Newbury was excellent in the middle of the park today, he looks a real find and I’m surprised Hamilton have decided to send him out on loan instead of utilising him. Wallace and Gray both proved why they should be in the starting 11 and Blair put in a good shift at left back. I also thought Hogarth had his best performance in a Sons shirt.  I remain completely unconvinced by Lennon and the sooner Durnan is fit the better. 

Whilst I think Carlo’s influence in midfield would be beneficial I’m not really understanding the clamour to reintroduce Lynas back into the starting 11. Whilst he gives 100% I’ve always found him to be a very limited player and it seems like his stock grows every weekend he’s not included in the starting 11. With Newbury in there I thought the midfield looked a lot more settled.

Farrell deserves some credit for making the changes he did today.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

It was a 4141 today. Lennon looked a bit more composed (or less exposed?) at centre back. Newbury worked well in defensive midfield. Tony Wallace and Michael Ruth were my men of the match, both influential and tireless. Hogarth was very good today, with some terrific reaction saves. Gray played well but still needs to learn to pass/release the ball (feel like I just type that every time for him). Blair works better as a left back and hopefully continues there. (Giving myself a virtual pat on the back for posting recently that Wallace should start, Newbury could do well in deep midfield and Blair should be at LB...).

Orsi had a good game (a few poor decisions or mishit crosses aside), but I'd like to see him shoot rather than always look to dribble and turn.

Home crowd was thinner than earlier in the season. Farrell received a 50/50 boos to cheers both times he came out the tunnel.

Decent performance today and an enjoyable match for a change. We came under some pressure late on, but it's the points that matter.

Missed the winner as the wee yin needed a pish and wanted sweets 🙄