Dumbarton vs Stranraer

Match Outcome  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Match Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/24 at 13:59

4 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Well that was quite enjoyable until the last twenty minutes when we just seemed to sit in and invite Stranraer on to us. Never thought I’d see the day when I was disappointed at Div Wilson being substituted  

Div Wilson was getting absolute pelters last week at Clyde but it was actually Jinky Hilton who was stinking the place out.

Edited by C'mon_the_Sons

Unlike the recent Spartans game this was a much more open affair and a better watch.  The win was welcome in stopping the rot but I don't think we learned too much, other than whatever team we have on the park we'll cease being an attacking force for a sizeable segment of the match.

Whilst there were some decent cameos - Orsi until he tired, the hardworking Ruth, Tony Wallace, Sean Crighton and Jay  Hogarth - the feeling was one of a team limping into the playoffs rather than striding.

Hopefully if Callum Wilson and Mark Durnan DO return in the next couple of weeks they will make a difference, but the issue of having only one recognised striker will remain, and especially if Ruth was to get injured.

With the exception of the wee lively guy up front Stranraer looked pretty ordinary, but based on their second half effort had they taken a point I don't think anyone could have complained too much.

I enjoyed that today. Well. Most of it. The pitch was a joke by the end and the amount of mistakes where people took dodgy touches was brutal to watch. But aside from that, I thought it was a good, competitive and open game.

I was pleased we tried something different with Cian Newbury in midfield, Lennon at CB and Blair at LB. And I think it worked.

I don't think Ryan Blair is a left-back at all. But I do think he's better there than Gallagher Lennon. Who, in turn, looked more comfortable in at centre-half. Although I think he's a fair way shy of Cian Newbury's levels.

Aside from the first five minutes where Stranraer scored one and missed a sitter, I thought we were very good in the first-half. It's as good as we've played in a few months.

We looked a lot more like the side from the start of the season. It was high intensity with Newbury and Gray not giving Stranraer and a moment of peace, we created plenty of chances and put together some really nice moves. The only disappointment was not being further ahead at half-time.

I've been hugely impressed with Cian Newbury, and I thought he looked the part in midfield. He could tackle AND pass! That's something we've kind of been lacking all season in a centre-mid.

I questioned the decision to start Div Wilson, but I thought he had a good game. And we lost a bit when he was hooked - albeit he was looking quite leggy after a few surging runs into space down the right.

On the opposite hand I was delighted to see Finlay Gray start. I actually don't think he had a great game today, but his energy and dynamism were really handy. And his movement and assist for Ruth's goal was excellent.

The two best players on the park though were our two goalscorers. Michael Ruth and Tony Wallace.

Ruth is a star. His goal was a superb, instinctive finish. His hold up play was outstanding, he ran the channels, hassled the backline and generally looked a cut above. I think he's my favourite player at the club right now and there's not a hope in hell he'll be with us next season. The way he's playing reminds me a bit of Chris Kane, albeit at St Johnstone not at us. Everything he does is really good. You just wish he'd score double the number of goals.

I don't sleep at night for fear of him getting injured. He's vital to how we play and we have nobody else who can play up top, let alone get near his levels.

I don't know how Tony Wallace managed it. But he seemed to be playing on a different surface to everyone else. His game was full of cute touches, nutmegs and composure that made it look like he was playing on a pool table. Not a lunar surface. His goal was a superb finish. He seemed to be operating in slow motion to create the space and drill in. It was class.

Whilst the two goalscorers played very well, I also thought Jay Hogarth had his best game for us. Everything he did was just very assured. His handling was flawless and he made a superb late save from Ben Armour. Hopefully his first few showings were losing the rustiness and now we're seeing the real Jay Hogarth. 

That wasn't to say it was all good. A better team than Stranraer probably caused us more issues down the left, with Blair and Lennon the obvious targets. And Matty Grant should've equalised before half-time, but didn't connect with an inviting cross.

We also fell out of the game big time towards the end as Stranraer went balls out for a goal. And Michael Ruth became more and more isolated.

After today I fear for Stranraer. That's the first time I've seen them in the flesh, and defensively especially I wasn't impressed at all.

Chris McQueen and Kyle Girvan didn't look the most convincing, and big Scott Robertson's muscle was probably missed today. Finn Ecrepont's corners were gorgeous and he was generally good on the ball. But Kalvin Orsi and Carlo Pignatiello were running riot at times, and he looked completely overwhelmed. Especially in the first-half.

Deryn Lang worked incredibly hard but with limited reward, and Matty Grant showed some great touches. And some terrible ones. James Dolan never really got going at all.

If there is a flicker of hope though, then I'd say it was Chris Johnston. He improved his side immeasurably after coming on at half-time. Get him firing and he's one of the best forward players in the league. He's someone I really rate, and if Stranraer were to go down then I'd be hoping we'd be sniffing around him.

Clyde's result today though means things will be looking a bit nervy at Stair Park I'd imagine. But don't fear. You've still to play us twice there! And we've had our two wins already for this decade!

Better than the last few weeks I suppose but I wouldn’t have had any complaints if Stranraer had taken another one of their chances. The draw would have been deserved.

The 11 players who started for us yesterday could be roughly split into two camps:

1. Comfortably able to play at League 1 level.

2. More suited to the lowland league.

There’s a really noticeable distance between our best and poorest players.  

Our season is basically over now. There’s not a sweet hope in f**k of promotion and we’re well free of relegation. 

I’ll be honest, I thought we were well worth the 3 points yesterday and I would’ve been very disappointed if Stranraer equalised. I thought we created far more chances and that Finlay Gray sitter at the end of the first half should’ve sealed it. 

It was by no means perfect but a couple of good chances aside for Stranraer I thought they were fairly rubbish. 

15 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Better than the last few weeks I suppose but I wouldn’t have had any complaints if Stranraer had taken another one of their chances. The draw would have been deserved.

The 11 players who started for us yesterday could be roughly split into two camps:

Our season is basically over now. There’s not a sweet hope in f**k of promotion and we’re well free of relegation. 

A pretty good summation George.  And I fear that next season will see more Camp 2 players than Camp 1.  I'll be very surprised if Finlay Gray hangs around and Michael Ruth must be fed up playing in a different postcode from his team-mates.  And we need to remember that Cian Newbury is a loanee.

Other than a very few people I don't there can be many Sons supporters who would think that Stevie Farrell hasn't now had a decent time period as team manager, in what is admittedly a difficult job. He's contracted for next season but I'm struggling to see any reason to believe that things will be any better, quite the opposite in fact.

There's nothing personal in this, just an obvious realisation that the team and indeed the club is stagnating badly.  If the former situation can be improved then the latter can begin to improve.  Yesterday was a welcome win but there is a much bigger picture and the Board of Directors now need to show courage.

56 minutes ago, George Parr said:

It's all about opinions but I thought we were good yesterday and didn't see it as an even contest deserving of a draw. I saw it as a good Dumbarton performance where the better team got the win they deserved.

After getting the three points and the way other results went in our favour, I’m much more confident that we’ll make the playoffs. Funny how much a week can change things.

Still, we’ve got a tough run coming up, and I really think we need to replace the Ryan Wallace shaped hole (there's a wee open goal for the East Fife fans) in the side.

Edited by FifeSons

3 hours ago, Moonball said:

Big respect for calling it The Rock. Good guys, Stranraer. Hope Aggy keeps you up.

I absolutely love these highlights. I've said it before but you can tell it's made with a real passion for lower league football. I love the wee touches like the drone shots in the intro and even putting the managers' pics in the team lines.

Edited by FifeSons

The pitch really is a disgrace. You couldn't tell quite how bad it was on our stream.

Stranraer's goal is awful defending again from us. Very similar to one of Forfar's goals? Need to cut that out for the promotion charge.