VAR  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Brown was in absolutely no position to get away with the hard man act etc in European games though.

You saw a slight shift in how he was treated when he moved to Aberdeen as well.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Presumably if Brown was being saved by generous refereeing rather than just being smart enough to know where the line is, he would have received loads of red cards in the 191 games he played in Europe and for Scotland?

Answer: No he didn't, he was only ever sent off once in these games despite over 50 yellow cards.

That's a strong case for him knowing how far he could push and if true you have to admire him for finding the line and not stepping over it. 

1 hour ago, Richie said:

You saw a slight shift in how he was treated when he moved to Aberdeen as well.

Was it not just the fact he had to defend more than he did with Celtic?

The kind of moronic logic that Brown would be reffed "fairer" for Celtic with VAR is the same moron logic that thought the OF would be reffed "fairer" thanks to VAR.

No surprise it was a moron supporter of VAR who made the moronic statement to start this all off.

Rangers fans think VAR is out to get them.

Celtic fans think VAR is out to get them 

The rest of Scottish football know that both of them still get the majority of dodgy VAR decisions going in their favour 

Edited by Meeniedee

4 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

Rangers fans think VAR is out to get them.

Celtic fans think VAR is out to get them 

The rest of Scottish football know that both of them still get the majority of dodgy VAR decisions going in their favour 

That makes perfect sense. 

The real issue for me is that, clubs here don't have the budget to do it properly. I'm so sick of incidents going to a VAR review and you get camera shots, none of which are at an angle to definitively say what's actually happened. We don't have enough cameras at the games to implement it properly.

I believe in Scotland it's 6 cameras per game - 2 in the main stand, 1 in line with each penalty box and 1 behind each goal. You only actually get decent angles on Sky games where they supply the additional cameras.

VAR being implemented under strict budgets is ever going to work well.

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

The real issue for me is that, clubs here don't have the budget to do it properly. I'm so sick of incidents going to a VAR review and you get camera shots, none of which are at an angle to definitively say what's actually happened. We don't have enough cameras at the games to implement it properly.

I believe in Scotland it's 6 cameras per game

If you watch an incident from six different angles and still don't know if it's a foul or not then it's not a "clear and obvious error" by the referee. The decision on the pitch should stand. If it takes a seventh then the error wasn't obvious and VAR shouldn't be sticking it's oar in.

I watched the highlights of Real Madrid v someone recently and Vinicius dispossesses a player before playing it forward where it is then crossed to the back post for a goal. Ref is called to review and he rules that Vini fouled the boy from whom he took the ball.

Later on the same thing happens and the opposition player is dispossessed in the same area. At that point I was thinking there's genuinely no point in playing on. The Real players would have been within reason to ask the ref if they're safe to play on before doing so.

It's making football an utterly passionless and largely pointless spectacle.

14 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

If you watch an incident from six different angles and still don't know if it's a foul or not then it's not a "clear and obvious error" by the referee. The decision on the pitch should stand. If it takes a seventh then the error wasn't obvious and VAR shouldn't be sticking it's oar in.

That’s far too simplistic a viewpoint. 

It’s entirely possible the six angles don’t give a clear view of the incident, but a seventh in a different position does.

That doesn’t make the incident any less (or more) of a clear and obvious error. 

15 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I believe in Scotland it's 6 cameras per game - 2 in the main stand, 1 in line with each penalty box and 1 behind each goal. You only actually get decent angles on Sky games where they supply the additional cameras.

VAR being implemented under strict budgets is ever going to work well.

I am not 100% (maybe @craigkillie can confirm) on this, but my understanding was that - once they have the minimum number of angles, from TV cameras and the VAR ones round the ground,  the software can accurately determine the lines (for offside and goal line tech).

If we didnt have enough cameras to accurately calculate these things, I am not sure the clubs or the SFA would have agreed to it.

........As a reminder of how some things never change, this is an oldie but an absolute beauty where Craig Levein nails the differences in how "certain" clubs are refereed.

44 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I am not 100% (maybe @craigkillie can confirm) on this, but my understanding was that - once they have the minimum number of angles, from TV cameras and the VAR ones round the ground,  the software can accurately determine the lines (for offside and goal line tech).

If we didnt have enough cameras to accurately calculate these things, I am not sure the clubs or the SFA would have agreed to it.

The 6 cameras are likely going to do absolutely fine for offside decisions (aside from the unavoidable issues about correctly identifying the last point of contact and the frame rates of cameras, which apply regardless of how many cameras there are).

The issues with the number of cameras are more about seeing different angles for fouls. However, the SFA were at pains to point out that they are actually above the FIFA-required minimum for VAR, and similar to most leagues of our size.

52 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

A minor point, but we don't have goal-line technology, and VAR doesn't use lines for checking if the ball crossed the line - it's eyeball only. 

For all fans wanting VAR to be got rid and from the poll it looks like an overwhelming majority you'll have to be prepared to accept this kind of thing again. QPR against West Brom last night. No VAR in the championship, so this wasn't picked up and the player got away with it.

One thing that I haven't seen covered is that VAR is also a deterrent. A player would be less likely to try and pull that shit if he knows there's VAR and he'll likely get caught.

Edited by 2426255

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

For all fans wanting VAR to be got rid and from the poll it looks like an overwhelming majority you'll have to be prepared to accept this kind of thing again. QPR against West Brom last night. No VAR in the championship, so this wasn't picked up and the player got away with it.

One thing that I haven't seen covered is that VAR is also a deterrent. A player would be less likely to try and pull that shit if he knows there's VAR and he'll likely get caught.

(a) That's objectively quite funny, (b) it's reminded me of how much I love Cedric Kipre and (c) I would be 100% willing to accept a once a season shocker like that against my team if every other game was VAR free and I didn't have to spend half the season looking at referee standing with his finger to his ear.

37 minutes ago, Swello said:

I would be 100% willing to accept a once a season shocker like that against my team if every other game was VAR free 

Aye, cause that's what will happen. Fans want the impossible, so they'll never be happy - that's basically my interpretation of things. 

Edited by 2426255

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Aye, cause that's what will happen. Fans want the impossible, that's basically my interpretation of things. 

There's virtually no evidence of what fans want, despite them being the main funding source for Scottish clubs - no-one ever asks.

31 minutes ago, Swello said:

There's virtually no evidence of what fans want, despite them being the main funding source for Scottish clubs - no-one ever asks.

Fans voices are all over the internet. Can't miss it. Do we really need to commission a fan survey to tell us what we already know? Fans want the impossible, they can't be satisfied. If you give them A, they'll want B. If you give them B, they'll want C and if you give them C, they'll want A again. 

The more you do, the more people want. The more successful you are, the more success people want - so you have to embrace that and get on with it.

Steve Clarke

Edited by 2426255

Count me in, I will accept a blunder every season against us like that West Brom game if meant not having every single game re-refereed by VAR.

When fouls and offsides which are not clear and obvious are being flagged up multiple times in every game - yeah let's get rid of that. It's a nonsense.

Referees have cushy jobs these days. Make the bare minimum on-field decisions and just let VAR referee the game for you so that when you do actually have to make a decision you get to take 5 minutes to watch it frame-by-frame as many times as you like.

VAR is not being utilised in the way we were told it would be when it was introduced. Get it to f**k.