Airdrie v Spiders

13 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Thought we were a bit hesitant in the first half and the clinical passing disappeared for a bit.  Frizzell was having a nightmare in the first half and we just didn’t seem to be able to get flowing although Toddy’s headed save was immense, thought for sure it was going in.  Started to get into the game as the half wore on but felt we didn’t deserve to be level at the half.  first part of the second half was much the same with us failing to create real chances but the Murray-esk triple substitution made the difference and of course Hancock was a stand out when he came on, what a goal.  Friz much better second half but our strikers just didn’t make anything happen with a touch of brilliance.  McGill, Toddy etc just couldn’t get it done today and it cost us.  Is it just me or is McCabe having a much better influence when he’s on the park? He brings a bigger level of composure and reassurance to the team, I truly believe we could have bagged 3 points if he was playing.  As it is, a draw was definitely a fair result.  I think both QP and Airdrie would be happy for 8th place, results elsewhere going against both teams.   This league is shaping up for a cracking finish at both ends 

thought McStravick looked lively all game, Megwa was his usual brilliant self and Mason turned it on coming on as a sub. Not a clean sheet, but thought Josh did well after a nice performance at Dundee.  We just need a purple patch with goals, not sure who’s going to turn it on though 

It's was a good point after going behind,think the problem is there to see but not being addressed,

Frizzel turning back has been a feature for a while and led to that goal. It was a belter by Thomas mind you. 

Friz was better in wide right second half so I'll cut him some slack. The glaring weakness was McMaster sitting so far back and I thought it was tough on Telfer to be subbed.

Finally someone decided to drive in and shoot so well done Hancock.

Better second half and although we had lots of scrambled pressure, Queens Park also had some good chances.

Felt Thomas and Paton has the edge over our defence until late on whilst we didn't really threaten their back four. 

Both teams very even and the League table doesn't lie. 

McCabe needs to play on Tuesday at another tough venue. 

Happy to take the point but so disappointed in that first half performance.

We lacked any commitment after going 1 down. I hate to say it but I’d be giving Frizzel a couple of weeks on the bench. He’s been getting away with coasting the game for a few weeks now and we have a much more capable option in Lyall IMO. 

End of the day, we have a league one squad pushing the boundaries yet again! Nothing lost. 

Point a piece probably fair. Airdrie with more possession and territory but we always carried a threat on the counter.

Was convinced Wilson’s header was in before the post got in the way.

5-9 separated by 2 points - it’s going to be a fun run in with multiple twists. Can’t wait……….

51 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Think that’s actually a decent point for us especially after going 1-0 down, and it takes some points off of another team around us battling to stay out of that 8th spot.

Not sure I share that positive thought, obviously it's preferable to losing when 1-0 down and in isolation it's an okay result as this version of QP are a decent side. But in the context of the season drawing at home to a bottom half side is a bad result. This weekend we've lost 2 points on Arbroath, Dunfermline and ICT, gained 1 on Ayr and gained nothing from QP despite playing them at home. We now only have 4 home games left and it's been our home form which has largely kept us above he relegation spots.

Draws will probably be enough to keep Arbroath at bay, but other than that they will have us heading down the league given other teams results at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not sure I share that positive thought, obviously it's preferable to losing when 1-0 down and in isolation it's an okay result as this version of QP are a decent side. But in the context of the season drawing at home to a bottom half side is a bad result. This weekend we've lost 2 points on Arbroath, Dunfermline and ICT, gained 1 on Ayr and gained nothing from QP despite playing them at home. We now only have 4 home games left and it's been our home form which has largely kept us above he relegation spots.

Draws will probably be enough to keep Arbroath at bay, but other than that they will have us heading down the league given other teams results at the moment.

Yes, it might take us down the league but if we draw our remaining 11 games that would take us to 43 points which I would expect be enough for any side to finish 8th.

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

That 8th spot would do me just fine.

I think both sets of fans would happily settle for the last day at Hampden to be a dead rubber with no threat of play-offs at either end.

18 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yes, it might take us down the league but if we draw our remaining 11 games that would take us to 43 points which I would expect be enough for any side to finish 8th.

If results this weekend are anything to go by it could be more. I'd say 45 is safety, anything between 40-44 and you could still be in trouble. ICT getting 4 wins and a draw in 9 games is perfectly feasible, as is Ayr/Dunfermline/QP getting 4 wins each. I know everyone has to play each other so they can't all win, but equally it means every week teams beneath us are guaranteed to get some points as they are playing each other. The top sides are poor so every game is winnable for every team.

Not saying it's a disaster of a result, but was just surprised to see people think it was quite a good result or that 'nothing was lost' - nothing was lost to QP but we lost ground on a few teams round about us which is ultimately what matters.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

If results this weekend are anything to go by it could be more. I'd say 45 is safety, anything between 40-44 and you could still be in trouble. ICT getting 4 wins and a draw in 9 games is perfectly feasible, as is Ayr/Dunfermline/QP getting 4 wins each. I know everyone has to play each other so they can't all win, but equally it means every week teams beneath us are guaranteed to get some points as they are playing each other. The top sides are poor so every game is winnable for every team.

Not saying it's a disaster of a result, but was just surprised to see people think it was quite a good result or that 'nothing was lost' - nothing was lost to QP but we lost ground on a few teams round about us which is ultimately matters.

Of course a win today would have put us in a really strong position but Its going to change with every week.  In fact, a win for us on Tuesday would all of a sudden see us looking at the play offs at the other end of the table, likewise Dunfermline. It's crazy! 

After these next round of games against the sides round about us which culminate in a home game against Arbroath on the 2nd April, if we're not 3 points clear of 9th, then that will be very worrying.

That was a decent game of football today from both sides.

I Thought Queen's edged the first half and deserved to be in front.  We moved the ball crisply and looked threatening in attack. Conversely, in the first half Airdrie looked a bit like us under Veldman i.e. a tidy team that eventually passes itself into trouble and the other team capitalises.

The second half was different though. Airdrie upped their game.  They had more possession and territory without always threatening as much as they should although they had plenty of pressure for the last 10 mins.  We would have folded a few months ago but Davidson's version of QP has a bit more resolve.  Longridge won't want to see the Airdrie goal back as it looked like he got skinned there.  It was not Ruari's day hitting the woodwork and someone missing that second-half header with the goal open. I guess he was unsighted by the defender?

Enjoyed the day out though. Four points out of six is not a bad return this week.  Tough few fixtures ahead though.

12 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

That was a decent game of football today from both sides.

I Thought Queen's edged the first half and deserved to be in front.  We moved the ball crisply and looked threatening in attack. Conversely, in the first half Airdrie looked a bit like us under Veldman i.e. a tidy team that eventually passes itself into trouble and the other team capitalises.

The second half was different though. Airdrie upped their game.  They had more possession and territory without always threatening as much as they should although they had plenty of pressure for the last 10 mins.  We would have folded a few months ago but Davidson's version of QP has a bit more resolve.  Longridge won't want to see the Airdrie goal back as it looked like he got skinned there.  It was not Ruari's day hitting the woodwork and someone missing that second-half header with the goal open. I guess he was unsighted by the defender?

Enjoyed the day out though. Four points out of six is not a bad return this week.  Tough few fixtures ahead though.

Queens Park are a different outfit under a decent manager,   a talented side indeed, with probably a better upside than Airdrie,  Danny Wilson looked a class act at the back and won every header, that type of quality doesn't come cheap though, a draw was probably a fair result over the 90 minutes.

I am sure it was an Arbroath fan that said last close season,  that every game in this league feels like a big game, and not a truer word spoken...

Is Savoury back soon or is he just planning for the new season..

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Queens Park are a different outfit under a decent manager,   a talented side indeed, with probably a better upside than Airdrie,  Danny Wilson looked a class act at the back and won every header, that type of quality doesn't come cheap though, a draw was probably a fair result over the 90 minutes.

I am sure it was an Arbroath fan that said last close season,  that every game in this league feels like a big game, and not a truer word spoken...

He is training again but think I read that he had picked up an injury.  Be surprised if we see him this season.

You can see the sharp contrast in us, with Wilson and Welsh making a marked difference.

I was surprised to see the BBC stats on possession {53% for Airdrie} as they looked to have more than that. However, we did look a bit more clinical, which is another welcomed change. 

Thomas was, once again, a joy to watch and I saw a hint of McKinstrey's quality.

Results elsewhere, once again, show that it's up to us to win games to get out of this relegation dogfight rather than rely on anyone else.

Airdrie looked half decent and I'd expect them to be safe.

Well I'll start by saying, what a marked difference in that QP side, night and day with the last couple games, certainly a bit more resilience and fight in this team.  Thought the first half, apart from the excellent save from Toddy (?), 0-1 at Half Time was a pretty fair reflection, couldn't really complain.

Second half we upped the game a bit, kept a bit more possession and there was a bit more urgency in the play, no doubt the triple sub had an effect, Lyall had a few exchanges of the ball with Donnell in the phases before Mason collected for his goal.

Both goals in the game massively preventable, but both nice clean strikes.  Not a defeat, so we move on to Tomorrow night with the "anything can happen" attitude.

We're surely due a win up there.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Results elsewhere, once again, show that it's up to us to win games to get out of this relegation dogfight rather than rely on anyone else.

Exactly this. Let's have no more talk of "free hits" especially as every game from now on in is a must win. Airdrie showed the way when they went up to Tannadice and won. This Saturday v Thistle is a huge game for us.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Yes, this applies to all sides from Dunfermline down. It's a mini league from now until the end of season.

On 02/03/2024 at 20:34, Passionate said:

Pleased to hear Danny Wilson is still doing well, back in Scotland.  I can't definitely recall if I saw him at Anfield playing left-back, because there were some household names over a few seasons of that Europa League period.  Forlan and Aguero together were something else. It was bad timing for the lad, with the club captain in his position.