Stranraer v Dumbarton Tuesday 5th March

6.14 for the embarrassing amateur moment I was on about. We deserved to concede for that.

Them all stopping to shout for offside for the 4th, too. Ryan Blair could throw himself in to block it and instead he pulls up to shout for offside. Utterly disgraceful. Doesn't deserve to call himself a professional footballer.

Gallagher Lennon for the 5th goal :lol: If I was Faz, I'd have been booting these c***s all over the dressing room.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Surely Hogarth should be doing much better with the second?

Losing Brett Long was potentially the turning point for Dumbo. Hogarth may become a decent keeper but he is getting exposed pretty much every week at the moment.

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Losing Brett Long was potentially the turning point for Dumbo. Hogarth may become a decent keeper but he is getting exposed pretty much every week at the moment.

Losing him and Durnan certainly hasn't helped. When we saw Long's injury, I think we knew success this season was likely out the window. That said, Hogarth was a decent replacement, on paper, to be fair to Faz. Alloa's first choice last season was about as good a replacement we could've hoped for. He definitely looks shaky, though, and is clearly a downgrade on Long. Not that we could've got anyone that wouldn't be.

One thing I've actually been wondering recently is, while I think we're all in agreement that another manager could get more from this group of players than Farrell, could another manager have assembled as good a groupr? Maybe, but I don't think it's a given. He seems to have a knack of making good signings and getting less than the sum of their parts from them. Jim Duffy was the opposite. We need someone that is at least competent at both.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Brett Long's injury hardly helped but Durnan's was equally damaging.  Not just in losing the players but it highlighted the lack of cover we had at goalkeeper and in central defence.

Much is made of Farrell's recruitment success and whilst there have been notable individual signings like Ryan Wallace, Mikey Ruth, Finlay Gray and Carlo he has pretty much failed to produce a consistent and successful unit.  And having a queue of signed midfielders this season with no central defensive and striking cover was hardly a balanced squad.

One thing's for sure; apart from the usual financial aspects, recruitment for next season is going to be a whole lot harder, and especially if Stevie Farrell remains in place.

Losing Durnan in October, Long in December and Shiels in January has just been a serious of really major blows. Greig Young too looked a class act early in the season; especially in that game at Ochilview.

It doesn't absolve Faz of blame. But I do feel for him with regards to the injuries/departures. Losing three of the best players in the league (all defensive players too) across a four month period is something most teams would struggle to deal with. I'd guess that Long and Durnan will be two of our best paid too. Our defence looked like it was (at least) three players short of being remotely competent going by those highlights.

Is there a reason Blair Malcolm hasn't played at left-back yet that I'm forgetting? I think we all expected him to be our LB at the start of the season.

God knows he has his flaws (namely his inability to pass to a teammate) but he's an excellent tackler and would surely be a better option than Lennon or Blair in that position? Especially given Newbury looks far better in defensive midfield than either Blair or Malcolm.

51 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Losing Durnan in October, Long in December and Shiels in January has just been a serious of really major blows. Greig Young too looked a class act early in the season; especially in that game at Ochilview.

It doesn't absolve Faz of blame. But I do feel for him with regards to the injuries/departures. Losing three of the best players in the league (all defensive players too) across a four month period is something most teams would struggle to deal with. I'd guess that Long and Durnan will be two of our best paid too. Our defence looked like it was (at least) three players short of being remotely competent going by those highlights.

Is there a reason Blair Malcolm hasn't played at left-back yet that I'm forgetting? I think we all expected him to be our LB at the start of the season.

God knows he has his flaws (namely his inability to pass to a teammate) but he's an excellent tackler and would surely be a better option than Lennon or Blair in that position? Especially given Newbury looks far better in defensive midfield than either Blair or Malcolm.

Didn't we play Malcolm there earlier in the season and he was all over the place? 

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Didn't we play Malcolm there earlier in the season and he was all over the place? 

He started on the left of a back three against Banks o'Dee, fell on his arse and gifted them a goal. But (leafing through my wee teamsheet notes) I think that's the only game he's started for us in defence this season. Sure he moved there for a bit against Rangers as well when Blair was toiling mind you.

I remember finding it weird when we signed Shiels and started the season with four left-backs in our squad (Young, Wylde, Malcolm, Shiels). Yet here we are playing a central midfielder there. And there doesn't seem to be a half decent option in the squad.

7 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Surely Hogarth should be doing much better with the second?

Looking at the highlights, for some reason I was getting flashbacks to Sam Ramsbum....

On 07/03/2024 at 07:27, The Moonster said:

I don't think this ever happened tbh. 

Some of our fans were chanting “Crighton over Bucky” in the first half pumping of Stenny earlier in the season.

On 06/03/2024 at 22:30, Vimto90 said:

Mind Dumbarton fans giving it Crighton > Buchanan. 

Lolz

Most felt that it was pretty much a straight swap. And it probably has been. The big difference is that Crighton has had a few different partners at the back, none of whom have been consistent enough. And we're hamstrung by the tactical genius that is Stevie Farrell and his constant shuffling of the midfield. The best option we've got to play in front of the defence and give them a bit of protection is Cian Newbury, and whilst he''s done well in the 2 home games he's played there, its no substitute for a proper defensive midfielder who can give the defence a  bit of protection.

10 hours ago, super-son said:

Some of our fans were chanting “Crighton over Bucky” in the first half pumping of Stenny earlier in the season.

An entirely reasonable wind-up tbf, given the specific circumstances.

But certainly none of us on here were wildly celebrating the swap deal last summer. 

14 minutes ago, George Parr said:

An entirely reasonable wind-up tbf, given the specific circumstances.

But certainly none of us on here were wildly celebrating the swap deal last summer. 

Yeah I'd agree, in the moment of course we would say that.

Most of us felt that those 2 were like for like (I still do pretty much) but the contrasting seasons we have had with the players partnering each of those tells the story of each of our season more than anything else. I still think a fit Durnan is potentially the best defender in the league and alongside Crighton could form the best CB pairing in the league. We haven't seen that for months though...