Artificial pitch vote

23 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Pretty much, most Sevco fans prob can't see anything past them and the other cheek as being relevant, so not surprising it doesn't compute how it affects lower league teams too, and isn't just about who is currently in the top flight.  

6 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Pretty much, most Sevco fans prob can't see anything past them and the other cheek as being relevant, so not surprising it doesn't compute how it affects lower league teams too, and isn't just about who is currently in the top flight.  

You can say that again

Don’t know if its been covered already but the financial impact is about more than loss of hire revenue, one thing Falkirk highlighted when we switched to astro in 2013 was the astronomical cost of undersoil heating. Long before the current energy price hike, Martin Ritchie said that it was cheaper to just take the hit with the game being called off than it was to run the USH enough to ensure it was on.  That can’t be what we want in this day & age shirley?

With all the millions the SFA are making from Scotland's success they could use that money to subsidise and help the clubs to make improvements on all the pitches.  I don't entirely buy the weather argument, England has similar weather and all their pitches look like bowling greens, just a lack of Investment. If clubs having to invest in their pitches to improve the overall product means having less money to buy shite players then good.

Edited by paddymcp

34 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

With all the millions the SFA are making from Scotland's success they could use that money to subsidise and help the clubs to make improvements on all the pitches.  I don't entirely buy the weather argument, England has similar weather and all their pitches look like bowling greens, just a lack of Investment. If clubs having to invest in their pitches to improve the overall product means having less money to buy shite players then good.

All their pitches? Or just the ones belonging to the clubs with ludicrous, more than our whole 42 added together wedge? Because if you want to point me in the direction of multiple clubs with similar fanbases to Partick, or Ross County, or Montrose, or whoever you want really, who play on a bowling Green I'm all ears....

Except.... That won't work either because the budgets of those teams will be significantly greater than ours up here anyway. 

The EFL dont allow plastic, but seem to have a fund set up, so that ant club in their system, at any level, can apply for a grant worth up to £100k. Money is syphoned from the TV deal.

We could do that but the 12 top flight sides would demand they vote on it alone as it mostly affects them, and then they'd block it as they'd claim it's their money.

Holland forced top flight clubs to avoid plastic, but created a fund with a percentage of money received from the top clubs European campaigns to help support clubs lower down. We could do that, but Celtic and Rangers wouldn't go for it as they'd claim it's their money.

There's just an all around "I'm alright Jack" attitude about it all, and nobody seems willing to take a small hit to get what they want so it'll inevitably end up just coming down full force on clubs who can't afford it but also can't afford not to play in the top flight. 

22 hours ago, paddymcp said:

I don't entirely buy the weather argument, England has similar weather

I agree, if by 'similar' you mean 'significantly different'.

Even then, most Premiership teams have multi-million pound hybrid pitches.

You know, part artificial.

A pedant writes.....its the crumb rubber that's used to fill out the plastic pitch that's the potential killer. There are apparently alternatives that can be used that are just as effective on the same "plastic pitches".

Not read the study, but would hazard a guess that a kid running around in a concrete playground versus a kid running around on a plastic pitch is just as likely to inhale as much "carcinogenic" materials in both situations (car fumes v rubber) 

33 minutes ago, Urban Spaceman said:

A pedant writes.....its the crumb rubber that's used to fill out the plastic pitch that's the potential killer. There are apparently alternatives that can be used that are just as effective on the same "plastic pitches".

Not read the study, but would hazard a guess that a kid running around in a concrete playground versus a kid running around on a plastic pitch is just as likely to inhale as much "carcinogenic" materials in both situations (car fumes v rubber) 

OIP (9).jpeg

4 hours ago, Urban Spaceman said:

I also assumed it referred specifically to the recycled rubber crumb infill, with alternative plastics simply substituted, but nope... the professor wants all synthetic pitches banned, with sport only played on natural grass, or wood-based surfaces like cork.

That would have a devastating impact on access to youth and adult sport here and - strangely enough - a corresponding deterioration in heath and wellbeing.

EDIT: Scottish Government not buying it:

This claim was refuted by the Scottish government, which said "at least 95% of the material in use falls within the limits set in restriction under EU Reach (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals)."

A spokesman added: “There are currently no widely available alternative infill products with proven durability on the market that are as effective, suitable for all UK weather conditions and deliver the required performance standards."

The Scottish government told BBC Scotland News that no alternative options were as "effective" as the current 3G pitches in use.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 20/03/2024 at 21:09, paddymcp said:

There’s a huge SFA project going on now funding several facilities across the country. Thankfully it’s being spent on artificial surfaces for grassroots clubs predominantly in deprived areas in order to increase participation and not for professional sides to make their pitch look a bit nicer.

20 hours ago, NFL12 said:

I just wonder where they got the funding to do that research?

Unreal what they get funding to do research studies. I remember them printing findings after doing a research study on how milk makes cereal soggy. 

I googled it to see if i could find something about it. Milk makes serial soggy, nae shit Sherlock. Think we need a study on why dipping your hobnobs in your tea too long makes them soggy and fall into you tea.

You’d have to be crazy not to love cereal in milk. But the longer those crispy puffs or flakes sit in that milky bowl, the soggier they become, and our enthusiasm gives way to disgust. Now a researcher from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst has figured out when and how that happens, according to a review study published yesterday in Journal of Food Science.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER