Artificial pitch vote

On 22/05/2024 at 15:18, Monkey socks said:

I dislike artificial pitches even although my own club has one. The vote to ban in the top league by only consulting the 12 clubs in the SPFL is elitist , unfair and smacks of a closed door boys club.

There are 42 clubs in the SPFL.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

All feels a bit grubby and protectionist TBH.

I wonder how the voting went per club.

Not to worry Dundees vote will still be in the post 

On 29/05/2024 at 21:34, Harry Kinnear said:

I’ve forwarded the emails to my MP, MSP etc etc but I know I’m wasting my time. This will go through because the Old Firm want it to go through and that just the way it is in Scottish football.

Looking forward to the UN Security Council meeting soon to discuss the crisis situation in Grangemouth. 

On 30/05/2024 at 13:31, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Leaving all your not bothered bluster aside, none of your compadres have come up with any compelling, nay, valid, reasons for doing away with artificial pitches.

Can you help them out?

Keeping Falkirk out of the top flight would be one valid reason but luckily for the other plastic pitch owners Falkirk FC have done a good job of that on their own.

Posted (edited)

A poor decision but an expected one . Short-sighted, narrow-minded and poorly thought through - the SPFL governance MO.

As others have said, this will likely lead to reduction in the number of community pitches in the country. Smashing for the game, that.

Whatever the surface is made of, its quality is dependant on maintenance. That's what should be monitored fully (it already is, I think).

Edited by Ampersand

16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Again, it's not just about income. A large part of it is young folk get to train and play on it them and it really boosts participation and provides a year round facility.

But folk want to tell hundreds of young folk to f**k off because it "doesn't look good on TV" or "the ball bounces differently!!!!!!" or some other moronic nonsense about never seeing a good game on them. I really don't get the lies around artificial pitches. It's utterly bizarre. No one is saying folk have to love or even like them, but why do people keep lying about them?

When Iceland had their resurgence and then run in the Euros a significant part of it was down to increased participation which was driven by more kids being able to play football more often due to more pitches (artificial pitches). Also in general allowing more access to sport is good for society.

But nah, some folk are scared what people in England might think.

There are countless artificial pitches operated by council leisure facilities and often schools up and down the country. None of the pitches that stand to be removed actually offer the all-year protection of an indoor facility that was associated with Iceland's supposed miracle. Which has incidentally vanished without trace now anyway.

The idea that the future of football development or societal participation in sport rests on a handful of SPFL clubs getting to rent their pitches out is as much of an utter bullshit argument as the injuries argument on the other side. The ban will have absolutely zero impact on public or youth participation. 

Posted (edited)

Madness.

When it comes to the crunch I doubt any club will be refused promotion - as they will rip up their parks even if it needs repaying of lottery grants/etc. Indeed you'll probably see them disappear from the Championship too as nobody will want to risk having to do the work in a few weeks at short notice. Of course this will have a impact on community and youth football at these particular clubs, plus on several other clubs who currently share them like East Stirlingshire and Glasgow Uni... and severely hamper various Championship sides contending for promotion who will have to spend large sums on those pitch works, build or hire new training and youth facilities, plus lose this important income stream. (Of course that is actually the real intent behind the whole move).

This pledge on improving the quality and consistency of grass pitches will also prove complete lip service IMO.

Edited by HibeeJibee

If we're being honest the two premiership teams with artificial pitches were taking the P with their pitches. Some of the lower leagues sides actually have some decent looking pitches that football can be played on.

A possible compromise could have been a new set of quality standards for them.

The Premier clearly feels that the top league in the country should have all teams performing on a similar surface: grass. 

Why does this mean that suddenly artificial pitches at all lower levels are suddenly going to be dug up? 

23 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

There are 42 clubs in the SPFL.

It still surprises me only Premiership clubs voting applies here. It makes you wonder how many other measures the wider membership assume are subject to the supermajority thresholds only to find they might not be.

e.g. someday could Premiership + Championship clubs pass a ruling that effectively debars part-time clubs from those tiers?

4 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

The Premier clearly feels that the top league in the country should have all teams performing on a similar surface: grass. 

Why does this mean that suddenly artificial pitches at all lower levels are suddenly going to be dug up? 

Because if you are a Falkirk or a Raith Rovers who are chasing promotion, then you are going to think twice about putting down a surface you might have to pull up a year later.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Swello said:

All feels a bit grubby and protectionist TBH.

I wonder how the voting went per club.

Will be astonished if it wasn't 10-2 in favour, with the two being the obvious two. Actually also wouldn't be shocked if we'd voted in favour and it was 11-1.

Edited by craigkillie

Don’t fancy going back 32 pages to read every post but this is just daft. 12 clubs being allowed to vote on something that affects the rest of the pyramid is ludicrous. People will then turn around and go “it’s so boring having the same teams come up and down every year” while cheering on a decision that will just make it harder for clubs to reach the top flight