Hamilton Academical FC vs Stirling Albion

55 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

This is only my opinion and feel free to disagree with it.  Yes we do only play one way. In fact it's the same basic premise we relied on when we won league 2.  Quick first touch passes forward. People can still run with the ball, or take a man on if that option isn't really on, but the quick first touch pass forward is the basis of our game.  It's a pro's approach to football and effective if you can be consistently accurate with it.

Our lad's aren't pros though and 4 hours training a week doesn't allow much time for perfecting a pro's game.  When the lads are reasonably consistent with it, we do OK, even a league higher up. When they aren't it's something of a horror show, particularly against full timers who can exploit the stray passing in ways that no one in league 2 had in them. The ball is given away cheaply by numerous players, comes back at us with accurate passing and they get behind or on us fast, rather than the other way round.

This isn't a criticism of Darren Young. If we want to do better than hang around the bottom of League 1, it's something we have to work on.  The problem for me, is that we don't seem to have the players who can play that style of football with enough accuracy or consistency for this level.  Perhaps we are too rigid with it and need to hold the ball up more to cut down the cheap giveaways of the ball?  So I'm sympathetic to your point about adapting. 

It's still a system we have to get a grip of though, but finding part timers who can play it with any degree of consistency is a big ask.  

…..and that’s why it’s great to see you back!

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

…..and that’s why it’s great to see you back!

Just my own view of why our form is so wildly inconsistent.  When the quick passes are coming off we see some good competitive stuff. When they aren't......well we've all seen how bad that can go.  People will have to make their own judgement on whether that makes sense of what they've been seeing or not.  I don't think having a pop at individuals or attitude covers the problem, but understand the frustration that leads to it.  The bottom line for me is that if we ever want to challenge for the top half of this league, is that the players will have to develop their ability to play a first touch pass game with more accuracy.  That, or hope Darren can land some who can in the summer window.  I  think his approach is right, but we are  short on the talent needed to carry it out consistently.  The curse that is part time football.

Edited by WC Boggs
Typo

Let’s not confuse lack of effort with lack of talent. A lot of our players are good league 2 players but don’t have enough skill for league 1. 

You can’t fault Milne or Leitch for lack of effort. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, unitedbino said:

Obviously relegation has been a threat all season, but yesterday was the first time I've thought we're probably going down. Things aren't trending in a good direction.

If we play like yesterday it's quite possible. Annan look on the up, QOS and Kelty about the same as us. It's the inconsistency that's harming us and IMO the recent signings, Crane excepted, haven't made much impact. Need to pick up some points in the next few games (obv) then the last 4 games are all winnable.

Worst case scenario is it a 2 leg play-off V Peterhead or suchlike?

Edited by SA45

Let's not completely panic yet.

Our home form is much better than our away. We've still got a few games at forthbank to pick up points.

We don't have to play Hamilton or Falkirk again.

We've still got an away game at Edinburgh city.

Kelty and QOS don't look great either.

It's still in our hands.

8 hours ago, headthebaw said:

Let’s not confuse lack of effort with lack of talent. A lot of our players are good league 2 players but don’t have enough skill for league 1. 

You can’t fault Milne or Leitch for lack of effort. 

Can’t fault Milne for lack of effort.... I'd rather have someone in the team who's prepared to roll their sleeves up & not wait till the ball comes to them & prepared to help defend on the ground & in the air, 

Obviously it's a matter of opinion, Young likes Milne & does what he can to keep him in the team, 

I felt he neglected defensive duties when wide in the midfield & hasn't contributed much since signing in the summer,, I've said this before & i stand by it, he's maybe an average player in another team, but there's no hiding in ours & he's playing in a team with no position for him, we got rid of a young lad Ewan Wilson who never did anything wrong when he was on the park but got limited time because DY refused to drop Milne from the position 

How did you rate his performance on Saturday against Accies... there wasn't many who played well, but Milne was just hiding, didn't want to know 

We didn't even resemble a team, we just marked space, no intensity, Accies just controlled the ball, passed through us at will, 

I've seen 18 goals against & 0 for in both away games against Accies & Falkirk.... that's a big worry 

Leitchy tried, but had an off day, no question about his effort, same with Crane who was a bit better, but Milne his effort was missing, hiding, didn't fancy the challenge or physical part IMO 

36 minutes ago, Beepee67 said:

How did you rate his performance on Saturday against Accies... there wasn't many who played well, but Milne was just hiding, didn't want to know

LM was 3/10 as was RMc & JMc. The rest maybe 4/10 and DC 5/10 for not stopping running. BC saved a pen but usual wayward distribution - nearly every kick was to right side half way line to Hilson the smallest man on the pitch. Is this tactical?

7 minutes ago, SA45 said:

LM was 3/10 as was RMc & JMc. The rest maybe 4/10 and DC 5/10 for not stopping running. BC saved a pen but usual wayward distribution - nearly every kick was to right side half way line to Hilson the smallest man on the pitch. Is this tactical?

A pity you don’t get Falkirk at forthbank each Saturday. Disappointed to read many of your posts slating the performance yesterday. Certainly wasn’t the case last Saturday.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

A pity you don’t get Falkirk at forthbank each Saturday. Disappointed to read many of your posts slating the performance yesterday. Certainly wasn’t the case last Saturday.

I know. If only we played like that every week and not like the away spankings from Falkirk & Hamilton we would be more than comfortable.

1 minute ago, SA45 said:

@SA45 i agree with everything...BC is woeful with the ball at his feet, distribution is very poor, however yesterday nobody was willing to either look or take the ball from him short,, everyone was scared to take responsibility, RMc was injured in the 1st half, couldn't run, but didn't think about changing it,, Jojo was all over the place,

No Scouse on the bench, but he's just a utility man lately...the lesser spotted Sam Bird or agents signing is nowhere to be seen, so Banner comes on at RB, he's all over the place except the right place 

But it's been the same story all 4 games away against the top 2

Hilson was just chasing shadows out there & Milne was just hiding in anyone's shadows 

We need to start getting stuck in home & away... show some bottle & have courage to go for it 

4 minutes ago, Beepee67 said:

@SA45 i agree with everything...BC is woeful with the ball at his feet, distribution is very poor, however yesterday nobody was willing to either look or take the ball from him short,, everyone was scared to take responsibility, RMc was injured in the 1st half, couldn't run, but didn't think about changing it,, Jojo was all over the place,

No Scouse on the bench, but he's just a utility man lately...the lesser spotted Sam Bird or agents signing is nowhere to be seen, so Banner comes on at RB, he's all over the place except the right place 

But it's been the same story all 4 games away against the top 2

Hilson was just chasing shadows out there & Milne was just hiding in anyone's shadows 

We need to start getting stuck in home & away... show some bottle & have courage to go for it 

Looks like the Bird has flown🤦‍♂️. As mentioned elsewhere there is a disproportionate amount of attacking midfielders and how must Moore feel that he was the only unused sub. I agree about E Wilson, IMO our best left sided player and did nothing wrong and made some good assists. Then again I'm not the manager. @Beepee67 in the dug out next for motivational purposes!

I didn't sample the catering - the queue was dangerously close to snaking into the toilets.

3 minutes ago, SA45 said:

Looks like the Bird has flown🤦‍♂️. As mentioned elsewhere there is a disproportionate amount of attacking midfielders and how must Moore feel that he was the only unused sub. I agree about E Wilson, IMO our best left sided player and did nothing wrong and made some good assists. Then again I'm not the manager. @Beepee67 in the dug out next for motivational purposes!

I didn't sample the catering - the queue was dangerously close to snaking into the toilets.

@SA45 after one of them pies you'd have ended up in the toilets with the Bombay blitz firing out you like the dirty water from an old radiator 🤣 

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I did try to warn…

you were not wrong. 

my pie fell apart in my hands and that was at 2.30. god knows what they were like by half time. 

i'll be glad to get back to Forthbank for a decent pie of the week........and hopefully a better performance.

2 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

you were not wrong. 

my pie fell apart in my hands and that was at 2.30. god knows what they were like by half time. 

i'll be glad to get back to Forthbank for a decent pie of the week........and hopefully a better performance.

@WattersIsGod yes definitely but I'd sacrifice the pie in favour of the performance 🙏