🔴🟡Thistle vs Morton🔵⚪️ 16th March 2024

Our players will have had a couple of days rest before this game so hopefully batteries have been recharged after a grueling schedule. 

Maybe a game too soon for a couple of players currently on the injury list. 

But we should be full of confidence for this game. Time for our fringe players to show up and make their mark against a very ropy Partick defence.

Liked the 3 at the back on Monday and perhaps it's something we should stick with for now  

We’ve just about gone 430 minutes of football without scoring a goal. Pretty much since Oakley got injured we’ve lost any kind of threat going forward. Will take any sort of win here. 

33 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Liked the 3 at the back on Monday and perhaps it's something we should stick with for now  

Aye, until Oakley's back we should be going with the 5-3-2, we don't have anyone else capable of leading the line on their own. Same 11 as Monday and have a right good go at them, there for the taking.

A team with no clean sheets or wins in 8 games against a team who've failed to score in 5 of their last 6 games. The only thing I'm confident predicting here is something hilarious for neutrals will occur, whether through calamitous defending, abysmal finishing or players losing the plot and getting mad red cards.

Would be happy to see us continue with a back three here in the continued absence of Oakley and Wilson. If you wanted to make it a bit more attacking considering our recent lack of goal threat, you could drop Gillespie, move Crawford back and bring Garrity or McGrattan in to play off Muirhead, but I'd be leaving it unchanged. That could too easily turn into a 3-4-3 rather than 3-5-2 with Crawford pressing up the park (if Lawless and Fitzpatrick have Strapp and French pinned back then 5-2-3) and despite their recent struggles, you can't afford to surrender the midfield like that against Partick.

Edited by Dunning1874

4 games inside 10 days can't have helped us. The loss of our talisman striker and an anchorman midfielder has seen us suddenly look fragile, as evidenced by the thin bench against Hearts on Monday - which included a sub keeper and a defender. Not ideal. But I took comfort from the fact that we gave a good account of ourselves against a top-quality team who are 3rd in the Premiership and who'd beaten Celtic in the game prior. We looked more like the Morton of recent months, with commensurate workrate and commitment. A crucial game for both sides as the OP says. I also have zero idea how it'll go.

Thought we were quite fluid with how we set up on Monday night. We can be a bit asymmetrical with French staying back allowing Strapp to roam at the top end of the park.

Would be happy to see that again although maybe with McGrattan in for Gillespie to go with more of a box midfield rather than the kind of diamond -ish shape we went for

I am concerned with what state the park will be in giving the current 4 day weather forecast of substantial rain fall.

RR fans saying poor on Tuesday night and has look poor on highlights of PT games since the winter started.

With such conditions we will need to utilise our subs bench as it will be energy sapping. 

4 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

I am concerned with what state the park will be in giving the current 4 day weather forecast of substantial rain fall.

RR fans saying poor on Tuesday night and has look poor on highlights of PT games since the winter started.

With such conditions we will need to utilise our subs bench as it will be energy sapping. 

Someone needs their jotters for the state of our pitch. We didn't play on it for nearly 5weeks and when i walked into the stadium that day i was astounded at the state of it and it has looked worse every time I've seen it. Supposed to be a 50/50 hybrid pitch, there were absolutely no issues with it last year.

Been impressed at how bad the pitch at Firhill has got at times in the last couple years, especially in 2022 I remember it being an absolute bomb site. What could the ground staff possibly be doing to that pitch.

I know the weather has been crap and we're below a canal basin but as said there's no groundsharing this year.

Also the womens, reserve and youth teams don't play on it (one women's game before Christmas apart), we don't train on it, and we went from 6th Jan to 10th Feb without a game on it yet it turned into a bog. 

Can't even blame Gerry Britton anymore, f**k sake. 

As for the game I have no confidence in us keeping out set pieces for 90 minutes so Morton especially with the long throws is not a good matchup, plus our keepers are selling a goal a game so we'll likely need to score 3 to win. 

Also shown up in the last couple of weeks that not getting some kind of cover on the wing in January was an error, we've been lucky that Lawless and Fitzpatrick have been fit and firing for most of the season but they were both rubbish on Tuesday and Lawless hasn't been great for a few games now. The only replacements are strikers or central midfielders stuck out of position. 

Edited by Fuctifano

29 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I know the weather has been crap and we're below a canal basin but as said there's no groundsharing this year.

Also the womens, reserve and youth teams don't play on it (one women's game before Christmas apart), we don't train on it, and we went from 6th Jan to 10th Feb without a game on it yet it turned into a bog. 

As for the game I have no confidence in us keeping out set pieces for 90 minutes so Morton especially with the long throws is not a good matchup, plus our keepers are selling a goal a game so we'll likely need to score 3 to win. 

Also shown up in the last couple of weeks that not getting some kind of cover on the wing in January was an error, we've been lucky that Lawless and Fitzpatrick have been fit and firing for most of the season but they were both rubbish on Tuesday and Lawless hasn't been great for a few games now. The only replacements are strikers or central midfielders stuck out of position. 

Maybe we could put one of our keepers on the wing. They must be good at something.

12 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

Someone needs their jotters for the state of our pitch. We didn't play on it for nearly 5weeks and when i walked into the stadium that day i was astounded at the state of it and it has looked worse every time I've seen it. Supposed to be a 50/50 hybrid pitch, there were absolutely no issues with it last year.

It's not a hybrid pitch.Issue is the planned complete relaying of pitch at end of last season got scuppered due to prolonged payoffs resulting in only time for a quick top level scarify and reseed before new season.The old substrate remained in place with compaction and drainage issues resulting in the tired state of pitch.The groundsman should be given a medal for keeping it playable given all the issues IMHO.

43 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I've wondered if it's a cost cutting measure to not have the big lamps for the pitch switched on that encourage grass growth. 

In terms of wingers what has happened with MacKenzie? He's come on a handful of times and looked decent enough taking on players. Maybe not at the same level as Fitzpatrick or Lawless but if it's not working like Tuesday night being able to bring him on as a fresh pair of legs could be the difference

24 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

Maybe we could put one of our keepers on the wing. They must be good at something.

Mitchell wanted to come up for corner, a La Sneddon, at end of the Raith Rovers game but was ushered back by Dools .....can't understand that when 1-0 down and time almost up .

Edited by I Clavdivs

1 hour ago, I Clavdivs said:

It's not a hybrid pitch.Issue is the planned complete relaying of pitch at end of last season got scuppered due to prolonged payoffs resulting in only time for a quick top level scarify and reseed before new season.The old substrate remained in place with compaction and drainage issues resulting in the tired state of pitch.The groundsman should be given a medal for keeping it playable given all the issues IMHO.

Didn’t we carry out this work in 2022 though? The pitch was completely redone in Summer of 22 once QP left and they definitely said that it was a hybrid pitch. 

13 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

Didn’t we carry out this work in 2022 though? The pitch was completely redone in Summer of 22 once QP left and they definitely said that it was a hybrid pitch. 

Definitely not a Hydrid pitch,only the Uglies,Hampden and perhaps Hibs and Hearts are Hybrid.

50 minutes ago, pthardie said:

In terms of wingers what has happened with MacKenzie? He's come on a handful of times and looked decent enough taking on players. Maybe not at the same level as Fitzpatrick or Lawless but if it's not working like Tuesday night being able to bring him on as a fresh pair of legs could be the difference

Believe it or not based on his appearances this season, but Mackenzie is a CM naturally. It feels like he’s played in just about every position apart from there, but regardless that’s where he’s most comfortable.