Motherwell - Aberdeen 16/03/2024

21 hours ago, afc_blockhead said:

100%

#cans i am guessing 

No idea who Craig Reid is either.. strange poster isnt he

I think he was the guy who assaulted langfield in the last game of 2013-14 but that clown McLean let the goal stand.

This meant we had to play an extra qualifying round which we won convincingly before going out at the final qualifying round as usual.

Motherwell had their usual home and away run in europe losing if memory serves to some Icelandic diddies,well daft is indeed a most apt user name

1 hour ago, Dubford don said:

I think he was the guy who assaulted langfield in the last game of 2013-14 but that clown McLean let the goal stand.

Craig Reid's biggest crime was tapping the ball in, John Sutton done the assaulting.

9 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Craig Reid's biggest crime was tapping the ball in, John Sutton done the assaulting.

Langfield was always a pish goalie, if he had come out and flattened Sutton he would have been praised for his solid keeping. It was such a memorable sequence of events. Lasley hitting the bar from his own half, Langfield just laying on the deck claiming, Hutch getting fouled on the edge of the box, Reynolds handball on the line before Craig Reid squirreling the ball away.

Always makes me laugh though as Steven MacLean missed the last-minute Russell Anderson handball at Fir Park in the previous game between the sides which denied us a precious three points. We always get saddled with the comment that decisions balance themselves out over the season but in that instance, it came true for once, furthermore, it was lovely seeing Anderson go on an expletive rant at McLean. 

Craig Reid remains an Aberdeen legend.

That extra qualifying round allowed 15,000 paying spectactors to watch Latvian WWE side Daugava Riga get despatched 5-0 (8-0 on agg).

Those players that survived the leg-breaking challenges, then had 180 minutes under their belt, allowing them the match sharpness to help knock out Eredivisie side Groningen in the next round.

I still recall walking back to the Grotemarkt after that victory and pondering travel plans to the quite stunning city of San Sebastian - as well as another 17K Pittodrie crowd (which would have been bigger but for the strange decision to put all the basques in one exit).

Meanwhile news was filtering through that Motherwell had been papped out by Icelandic opposition, despite presumably having Craig Reid in there pulling the strings?

Re: Saturday - at least some of the game's-gone VAR lottery decisions that seemed to be going against us far more than in our favour were evened up a bit, but won't make Well fans feel any better. Looked like Bojan was on it again, and nice to see the wasted talent that is Clarkson look like he enjoyed a game of football for the first time in a while.  At least there's now four sets of twitchy sphincters re: the play-off, as there was a danger we were going to be detached the way things were going.

Edited by tarapoa

On 16/03/2024 at 23:55, Thenorthernlight said:

My honest views of the officials today?  
Useless.

Mugabi gets away with a stick on yellow for kicking Nicky Devlin in the head. 
Clear dangerous play.

Motherwell goal incorrectly disallowed.  
Bair did “arm” it… but he never scored so goal should’ve stood.

The Shinnie handball?
They should never be given as penalties… BUT… a good few have this season, we’ve had a few given against us for similar.
Surprised Gollum wasn’t asked to have a look.

Motherwell now sucked back in to the play off fight. . 

I had to read through several pages of shite but the above is pretty much spot on.  Hope @welldaft's heid was fine on the Sunday.  A grown man, ffs!

22 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Also was Roos deserving of BBC’s MotM award? 

Considering I got him at 15/2 to get booked with 10 minutes to go, he was my MOTM.  Tam Cerny-esque.  The big fella paid for my takeaway & beers on Saturday night.

On 16/03/2024 at 23:55, Thenorthernlight said:

My honest views of the officials today?  
Useless.

Mugabi gets away with a stick on yellow for kicking Nicky Devlin in the head. 
Clear dangerous play.

Motherwell goal incorrectly disallowed.  
Bair did “arm” it… but he never scored so goal should’ve stood.

The Shinnie handball?
They should never be given as penalties… BUT… a good few have this season, we’ve had a few given against us for similar.
Surprised Gollum wasn’t asked to have a look.

Motherwell now sucked back in to the play off fight. . 

Aye. Both handballs are ridiculous to even consider as fouls. The issue is that I don't actually think anybody can confidently say what is a handball in these instances now. We've seen even less obvious handballs given as penalties (this one last week for example, but there's been countless others). The rule is confusing and the consistency is infuriating. 

I mentioned it in our thread but it does feel like sunk cost fallacy. The VAR system does not work properly, it's being staffed by people who are incompetent and the powers that be think that it'll work fine. Waiting 5-6 minutes for a decision to be awarded whatever way is not improving anyones match day experience.  

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I had to read through several pages of shite but the above is pretty much spot on.  Hope @welldaft's heid was fine on the Sunday.  A grown man, ffs!

You do realise there are wars raging around the world and here you are getting bent out of shape for a few wind up posts on a football forum.

These forums are for sensible debate and to analyse post and pre match, but they are also to sometimes to wind up the opposition fans. Genuinely dumbfounded that some fans don't seem to realise this or take offence when it happens.   I mean a football forum - whatever next.....

Plenty of fans do it. Sometimes I respond. Sometimes I don't bother. Either way I do find it sometimes amusing (maybe I should grow up) when there is suddenly a pile on from opposition fans when all I am doing is reacting to an inane or wind up post from one of their own fans in the 1st instance.   

30 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

Surprised that no one has commented on how many times Collum got in folks way (mainly Aberdeen players). Useless b*****d was at it all game.

Collum by name, column by nature.  

43 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Aye. Both handballs are ridiculous to even consider as fouls. The issue is that I don't actually think anybody can confidently say what is a handball in these instances now. We've seen even less obvious handballs given as penalties (this one last week for example, but there's been countless others). The rule is confusing and the consistency is infuriating. 

I mentioned it in our thread but it does feel like sunk cost fallacy. The VAR system does not work properly, it's being staffed by people who are incompetent and the powers that be think that it'll work fine. Waiting 5-6 minutes for a decision to be awarded whatever way is not improving anyones match day experience.  

People talk about consistency, but while I agree more of that would be a good thing it isn't the main problem for me.  It's that games are turning on events that are outside the players' control.  

We badly need to re-introduce the concept that a hand ball needs to be deliberate to be a foul. I've no problem with a penalty being awarded if a player sticks out his arms to "make himself big" and the ball hits his hand, but there needs to be an element of intentionality.  I can see no other way of doing that than going back to letting referees decide whether in their opinion the player intentionally handled the ball or intentionally put his arms in a position that increased the chance of his team getting an advantage from the ball striking a hand or arm.   Guidance about arms in "artificial positions" creates more problems than it solves.  I know this means more reliance on referees' subjectivity, something that will  always send a shiver up the spine of Scottish football fans who don't support one of two clubs, but it has to be better than what we have now.

3 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

We badly need to re-introduce the concept that a hand ball needs to be deliberate to be a foul. 

Why did FIFA/IFAB even change it?

Association football existed for over a century without anyone complaining too much. Yes, there was the odd controversy, but the reality is the amount of deliberate handballs could be measured in single figure percentages.

Now, unless you use gaffer tape on your arms and a run around like penguins drill in training, you risk these 'infringements' being the decisive moment in games far too often. 

Rather than being wined and dined in Loch Lomond a couple of weeks back, Infantino should have locked up in a warehouse in Cumbernauld and coerced into signing this law into the dustbin forever.

Edited by tarapoa

It was mentioned earlier (apologies, I forget who by), but one of the main issues is that what they've deemed a natural arm position to be, doesn't take the context into account.

Arms by your sides is maybe a natural position if you're in the queue at the shop, but certainly not when you're contesting a football match.

You often see players visibly forcing their arms down by their sides, which by definition actually makes it the least natural place for them to be!

The fact that either of those on Saturday is considered a handball by anyone is absolute nonsense, and I don't think you'd find a single fan that in all honesty thinks either of them should be given (although I was screaming for the Shinnie one it at the time....but that's just what you do! 🤣). I do think though that if one is deemed a handball then the other has to be as well (for the same incorrect and absolute nonsense reasons).

I tend to think when you have fans of both sides completely in unison on something like this regardless of which side the decision went for, that's a major sign that something's wrong and needs looked at.

Edited by Al B

They should just do a simple sense check at IFAB - how often do players actually deliberately handle the ball. I mean controlling with the arm, saving it on the line etc? does the game have a fundamental problem with people misunderstanding that they aren’t meant to use their hands? Are we routinely seeing players trying to con referees with use of the hand? 

Ok, right. Now how many penalties for handball do we see every single week? 

If the two answers are materially different, the rules are broken. 

For me, the issue has always been with these contentious VAR reviews, does the player whose hand or arm the ball strikes (or his team) gain an obvious advantage by virtue of it, or not?

If the answer is no,  then it's not a penalty. 

They only way they could ever achieve consistency with the handball rule would be to make it a handball, regardless of where and how it hits anyone's hand. At least you'd know where you stand.

Any improvement they attempt to make to the laws just make them more ambiguous.