Motherwell - Aberdeen 16/03/2024

Looking back at the handballs on Sportscene now.

Bair one is soft, no doubt - difficult to be 100% sure about the actual point of contact (at least from the angles they showed), and it is obviously not deliberate. I suppose McLean and Collum have judged that Bair makes his body unnaturally bigger, and that the position of the arm when the contact is too wide to be justified by the jump, and I suppose I can understand that but don't have to like it (except when it helps my team, obviously). Probably a technically correct decision but the sort I would rather not see given.

Shinnie one should never, ever be a penalty. He's not making his body unnaturally bigger, if anything his arm seems to be moving closer into his body when the contact is made - and he has very little time to react from Mackenzie's touch. It is probably a 'seen them given' one just because our implementation of the handball laws in Scotland has occasionally been a bit odd, but it is the right decision not to give it. 

Happy to accept, on balance, that Steven McLean probably doesn't "hate" us. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

His post match interview on You Tube absolutely mentioned his team were not up to recent standards to lose to a shit poor and embarrassing Aberdeen team.

An Aberdeen team with the 3rd or 4th largest budget that have become a laughing stock around the world due to how they are being run and mismanaged. 

But you glory in beating a team 1-0 with a fraction of the budget with debatable VAR decisions. 

Shows how far the Famous (were a long time ago) Aberdeen have fallen . Quite funny truth be told…

Oh Snap Wow John Cena GIF | GIFDB.com

4 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

That’s nonsense, as we all know. This Aberdeen team are far too nice and contest far too little at their cost. Where are most Scottish teams are happy to cheat on every call every time. Just watch how throw ins are routinely contested by players who know they have put the ball out.

As we all know ma hoop. As for the poor Aberdeen chat, reeks of an OF trope.

Throw ins are half heartedly contested. However say for example a player shows real malice, the players round about can tell and often a rammy occurs. Likewise a high boot, players can tell usually pretty quickly what unintentional and a guy crossing the line. You know where nobody really got shitty with Bevis when Devlin went down.

But regardless we are talking here about the same refereeing squad looking at a replay for 2 mins, seemingly going against a precedent set that only if the goal scorer is responsible does it have a factor.

Up the other end the same mob an hour later say, pretty quickly, nah nothing to see here.

Hard to square that circle .... as we all know. 

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah I noticed that too

They all mentioned the tactics that have been used, I think Barron and Clarkson talk specifically about the long ball game not suiting the team, and having team meetings all week. Doesn't explain the Dundee performance, mind you.

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Aberdeen FC - from Europa League to Scottish League cup group stages in one season…..

no way lol GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Can't wait for your next post. This is class.

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Aberdeen FC - from Europa League to Scottish League cup group stages in one season…..

no way lol GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Remind us how you lot got on the last time you made the European Qualifiers? 

Oh that’s right. Alexander punted before the League season kicked off.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Doesn't explain the Dundee performance, mind you.

Barron suggested they didn’t have a clue what they were meant to be doing because of all the disruption with managers.

9 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Shinnie one should never, ever be a penalty. He's not making his body unnaturally bigger, if anything his arm seems to be moving closer into his body when the contact is made - and he has very little time to react from Mackenzie's touch. It is probably a 'seen them given' one just because our implementation of the handball laws in Scotland has occasionally been a bit odd, but it is the right decision not to give it. 

So Bair made himself unnaturally bigger while hip to hip with Milne but at the other end Shinne you see no intentional movement from Shinnie's arm ....

It's also hard to tell if it went onto Bair from Milne.

34 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Thank you Motherwell. 7/9 points keeping us in the division. Solidarity for one of TB4 ( is it TB3 now?)

7 points out of 9…..

And we put welldaft back on his meds apparently. 
What an absolute weapon.

Made a rip roaring James Blunt of himself tonight 😂

My honest views of the officials today?  
Useless.

Mugabi gets away with a stick on yellow for kicking Nicky Devlin in the head. 
Clear dangerous play.

Motherwell goal incorrectly disallowed.  
Bair did “arm” it… but he never scored so goal should’ve stood.

The Shinnie handball?
They should never be given as penalties… BUT… a good few have this season, we’ve had a few given against us for similar.
Surprised Gollum wasn’t asked to have a look.

Motherwell now sucked back in to the play off fight. . 

27 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

Barron suggested they didn’t have a clue what they were meant to be doing because of all the disruption with managers.

Maybe, but doesn’t excuse him & the team for being out worked & outfought by Dundee, does it?

26 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

So Bair made himself unnaturally bigger while hip to hip with Milne but at the other end Shinne you see no intentional movement from Shinnie's arm ....

It's also hard to tell if it went onto Bair from Milne.

There is movement from Shinnie's arm, but it is in a natural position - he certainly isn't making his body 'unnaturally bigger' - and if anything that movement is in the process of making his body smaller and within the silhouette. 

Bair's arm is further away from his body in his incident.  I can understand, especially if they think that arm is being used against Milne rather than as part of a jumping motion, why they have decided to rule it out.

I would rather the laws (and/or the implementation of them) were more relaxed than that, though. I certainly wouldn't have been feeling a huge sense of grievance if VAR hadn't intervened on it, put it like that. As I said earlier, I don't think anybody behind the goal was expecting anything until Collum was sent to the monitor. 

I see Shinnie's arm moving towards the ball rather than recoiling away to avoid.

Regardless, I suppose the simplest question is how can anything be deemed clear an obvious if two to three minutes elapse, resulting in what? 15 replays? Pauses, moving through each frame one by one, then a further 3 or 4 reviews by Willie at the touchline. If anything it that reinforces that is was far from clear.

If the delay was due to interpreting the camera angel(s) and it not being sufficient then that's a different issue. However, with what they have it is far from obvious it wasn't a goal. Before you even inject the non goalscorer precedent. I mean they're all mic'd up, 4 at the ground and what 2-3 and an operator in town. All done the courses and should be well versed in the laws and caveats and nobody brought that up which would have shut it down immediately.

I hate how a good number of threads now descend into this. I genuinely thought VAR errors would be a 10 clip montage at the end of the season than every game every weekend.

NB What Kettlewell was told about the non-goalscorer handball is a nonsense as well, how can it be deemed to have no bearing?

Just watched the highlights.

Anyone who thinks the Shinnie decision should have been a penalty definitely needs their head looked at.

Motherwells disallowed goal was as harsh as the penalty we conceded on Wednesday.

Does the referee only get to look at one angle? i.e. the one VAR deems the best, or can he see the incident from more than 1?  The BBC has a few hours but they showed a different angle which may have given pause for thought.  I don’t see the handball decision as the issue, those around me immediately talked about the information provided after the Ross County game.  We are just being fobbed off.  If we are fobbed off again by the referee chief it shows inconsistency and that is what annoys supporters.

I think the two handball situations in the game were dealt with inconsistently.

Collum must know this, it would be great to hear his view as it makes him look poor.

7 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Motherwells disallowed goal was as harsh as the penalty we conceded on Wednesday.

Much the same as that Celtic one in the hearts game too; all three, simply not handballs.

The pigs ear they've made of the handball rule is incredible, where the spirit of the rule is that players should not intentionally handle a ball, and turned it into this. It's fucking stupid.