Motherwell - Aberdeen 16/03/2024

Just now, Suspect Device said:

I'd take a draw but ffs we really need to get some kind of win. 

And VAR can f**k off please.

I hate to tell you…. the ref who hates us more than any other, is VAR.

That c**t Steven McLean.

As an aside from Wednesday, I’ve never seen a ref give a penalty in such an extravagant & gleeful manner as McLean did against us at Dens Park.

3 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I hate to tell you…. the ref who hates us more than any other, is VAR.

That c**t Steven McLean.

As an aside from Wednesday, I’ve never seen a ref give a penalty in such an extravagant & gleeful manner as McLean did against us at Dens Park.

Thanks a fucking bunch.

5 hours ago, betting competition said:

If Aberdeen don't win this match, it will match the club's record of 12 consecutive league games without a victory. Interestingly, the previous record, set in 1999, was broken with a thrilling 6-5 win against Motherwell!

Motherwell with an easy win!

I remember that absolute freak show of a game, and reading text updates that came in in a weird order. We've had a bunch of crazy high scoring games over the years.

0-0

6 hours ago, welldaft said:

It has been well documented that when a team desperately need a win they just have to type ML1 2QN into their team bus Sat Nav. 

I absolutely hate this patter. Fans of just about every team in the land believe this is the case with their team and its, quite frankly, nonsense. 

3 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I hate to tell you…. the ref who hates us more than any other

This is a close second. Referees don't hate any team. I mean, we can argue about their ability until the cows come home, but the idea of a professional referee 'hating' a particular club is the mutterings of a primary school child. 

11 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Comfortable home win, 2 or 3 nil. 

At least you had the good grace not to start this match thread.

10 hours ago, capt_oats said:

This definitely feels like an Aberdeen win.

Just stop this shite.

10 hours ago, welldaft said:

It has been well documented that when a team desperately need a win they just have to type ML1 2QN into their team bus Sat Nav. 

Tam Cowan pish patter thread for this load of nonsense.

8 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Being 3-0 up surprised us no end, making it 3-3 probably surprised you.

I was at the game, and 3-3 certainly surprised me in the end. I thought we should have won it.

10 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I remember that absolute freak show of a game, and reading text updates that came in in a weird order. We've had a bunch of crazy high scoring games over the years.

0-0

I still remember saying at half-time, 4-2 down, I thought we could win it. We seem to have a lot of 3-3 draws with Aberdeen as well, even before this season's debacle I can remember a lot off the top of my head.

43 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I still remember saying at half-time, 4-2 down, I thought we could win it. We seem to have a lot of 3-3 draws with Aberdeen as well, even before this season's debacle I can remember a lot off the top of my head.

I recall the Motherwell scarves being tossed onto the pitch at 4-1. Robbie Winters and John Spencer netted hat-tricks, and two Scotland Keepers were playing as Aberdeen led 4-1 and 6-3, almost letting the lead slip away - such a bizzare match!

Edited by betting competition

9 hours ago, Desp said:

This is a close second. Referees don't hate any team. I mean, we can argue about their ability until the cows come home, but the idea of a professional referee 'hating' a particular club is the mutterings of a primary school child. 

Do I think any of the referees are biased towards any particular club in this country? No. Do I think they are all incompetent shitebags? Yes. 

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

At least you had the good grace not to start this match thread.

It makes little odds who starts these threads...

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It makes little odds who starts these threads...

I know you'll say "really?", but we have to win one of these upcoming games at least. So it would be helpful for you to stay away from initiating them.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I know you'll say "really?", but we have to win one of these upcoming games at least. So it would be helpful for you to stay away from initiating them.

We've lost 14 league games. How many of those match day threads did I initiate?

I went to the 4-2 game at Fir Park in November and it still ranks as one of our most complete performances of the season. Leven was on the coaching staff that day, although he was in the 3-3 game too, so I wonder if he will look back at that and try some similar things tomorrow in terms of personnel and structure. We were in a (sort of) 5-4-1 that day and were really effective at getting bodies forward to support Miovski. 

There will be the temptation to make sweeping changes after such an anaemic performance at Dundee, but it's not like we have great strength in depth. I do worry a bit about Hoilett starting three games in a week, so I suppose Duk could be a possibility from the start - he has scored three in two against Motherwell despite having a disappointing season, and he didn't start either game, but that is likely just coincidence rather than anything particular about Motherwell's set-up. Shinnie was excellent against St Mirren and then Kilmarnock, but he did struggle against Dundee, which is maybe the quick turnaround catching up with him a bit. We would likely be worse without him, though, and we don't really have anybody to fill his role if he were to be rested. I would be tempted to stick with Barron, Shinnie and Phillips, with McGrath getting as central as possible and either Duk or Hoilett hopefully providing some width. The defence is rubbish, but the other options aren't good either, so I'd imagine it will be unchanged barring any injuries or suchlike. 

I expect Motherwell to win, but hopefully the win earlier in the season and the comeback at Pittodrie will give the players encouragement that they can have some joy against this team. 

Edited by DrewDon