54 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

One of the things I like about Adams is that he has no affiliation with any teams up in Scotland other than the National team. It means the views on him are much fairer, no-one's really in his camp as there aren't any Southampton fans on here to my knowledge so there's little to no self interest. 

Are we assuming therefore that his place of birth and accent (and views against) have been safely and rightfully consigned to the bin?  It’s been a fair old while since the old “scrap the grandparents rule cos they don’t care as much/football CV” has been trotted out.   

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

One of the things I like about Adams is that he has no affiliation with any teams up in Scotland other than the National team. It means the views on him are much fairer, no-one's really in his camp as there aren't any Southampton fans on here to my knowledge so there's little to no self interest. 

In some ways he probably suffers in terms of this too though. 

I thought he played well today, some lovely bits of play and Southampton were good to watch - Fraser and Armstrong were good too. I did miss the first twenty minutes or so. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

In some ways he probably suffers in terms of this too though. 

Yes, definitely. Similar with Jacob Brown - really noticed that no-one on here is pushing him forward and so the chat can get very one sided. I like it with Che Adams because he is really only in on merit - there's just no favouritism, nothing like that - so you get a good clear picture.

16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Are we assuming therefore that his place of birth and accent (and views against) have been safely and rightfully consigned to the bin?  It’s been a fair old while since the old “scrap the grandparents rule cos they don’t care as much/football CV” has been trotted out.   

The whole England thing probably is a negative bias from some Scottish fans who won't ever take to him. I haven't seen it much lately although it wouldn't surprise me if some pro Shankland fans were really anti Adams and all that crap. Lets not be kidded though, it's definitely still here somewhere. 

Edited by 2426255

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Yes, definitely. Similar with Jacob Brown - really noticed that no-one on here is pushing him forward and so the chat can get very one sided. I like it with Che Adams because he is really only in on merit - there's just no favouritism, nothing like that - so you get a good clear picture.

The whole England thing probably is a negative bias from some Scottish fans who won't ever take to him. I haven't seen it much lately although it wouldn't surprise me if some pro Shankland fans were really anti Adams and all that crap. Lets not be kidded though, it's definitely still here somewhere. 

Yeah, there are lots of agendas at play with the national team and that’s difficult - I guess we all have a bit of favouritism in us but I know that I try to avoid doing it. 

Jacob Brown probably gets a bit of a raw deal, partially in terms of your point a lot of that because of the Norway game which is harsh. He did look good against France, which made his start against Norway all the more disappointing. If he is fit before the end of the season I’ll need to make the effort to watch some Luton games - from what I have seen he does play wider for them though. 

Adams (and Dykes at times tbf) are the type of striker that are easily written off as people tend to forget the nice bits of link up etc etc. 

14 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s a good rule for us, but it does give nations who are pretty deficient in bringing through their own youth players an easy way out. I’m not sure that’s a good thing in the long run.

9 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

It’s a good rule for us, but it does give nations who are pretty deficient in bringing through their own youth players an easy way out. I’m not sure that’s a good thing in the long run.

Right.  See the Scotland u20 rugby team. 

16 hours ago, ekok said:

Watching Liverpool v Sheffield tonight.  If anyone suggests McBurrnie should ever play for Scotland again I will take out a contract. 

Was he really shite? I saw he got on for the last half hour. Did nothing?

McBurnie has five goals and three assists, in twelve starts and six substitute appearances this season which is pretty fucking good. 

It’s just that any time you watch him play, he just looks catastrophically shite. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

McBurnie has five goals and three assists, in twelve starts and six substitute appearances this season which is pretty fucking good. 

It’s just that any time you watch him play, he just looks catastrophically shite. 

You can dress stats up in any shape or form you want and it can make most look good 

But McBurnie won’t be playing for Scotland anytime soon ! 

He had his chance, he rubbished Scotland, his personal life and record off the pitch going against him!! 
Steve Clarke is very very fickle, if Ryan Fraser ain’t getting selected then sure as hell McBurnie ain’t 

You could ask the question though, is Clarke a Manager who doesn’t forgive, who doesn’t budge on his beliefs and quite possibly would  bite his own nose off to spite his face! 

I don’t rate McBurnie, either does Clarke but there comes a point imo when we have zero options?? 

He got dropped because he was terrible for Scotland, then picked up a medium term injury and we moved on and got Dykes and Adams in. I don't think there was anything personal about it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BroraBoy said:

Steve Clarke is very very fickle, if Ryan Fraser ain’t getting selected then sure as hell McBurnie ain’t. You could ask the question though, is Clarke a Manager who doesn’t forgive, who doesn’t budge on his beliefs and quite possibly would  bite his own nose off to spite his face! 

Whatever issue there was between Ryan Fraser and Steve Clarke was some time ago. My understanding is the situation was left with Fraser having lost any loyalty and had to earn his place back through his club performances.

Spoiler

I had a chat with Ryan (Fraser). There was a situation in November when Ryan didn't come with the squad but trained with his club. Ryan has apologised for that situation. I had a good chat with him but I've decided not to pick him in this camp. We've agreed that Ryan's club form will determine whether he's involved in the next camps. Basically it's down to Ryan on how he performs for his club.

He's done well recently. I've watched him live and I've seen him. I had a conversation with Ryan and we are both in agreement that this is the right way forward.

Steve Clarke, March 2022

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/steve-clarke-reveals-ryan-fraser-apology-as-he-addresses-newcastle-wingers-scotland-future-3612611

Spoiler

Yes, he’s injured (Ryan Fraser). I said in March his performances for Newcastle would dictate whether was back in contention and I think he’s played about six minutes last week, when he came off the bench after his injury. So that probably answers that one.

Steve Clarke, May-2022

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-clarke-explains-scott-wright-27045797

Spoiler

I think that’s unfair. In March I had a discussion with Ryan. He wasn’t playing at Newcastle and it was better for him to stay there and get himself in the team then he would be selected based on performances for Newcastle. He was injured in the summer so I couldn’t pick him then. Now he’s in the team and performing well at the start of the season and he’s in the squad. He improves the squad.

It’s just a picture. You can always go on the training pitch even though you’ve got an injury. He probably wasn’t training flat out but would have been working towards his recovery. If I wasn’t totally satisfied, he wouldn’t be in the squad.

Steve Clarke, Sep-2022

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/21401258.scotland-manager-steve-clarke-explains-newcastle-united-training-photo-ryan-fraser-recall/

Fraser didn't play any football with Newcastle after Scotland's friendly with Turkey in Nov-22 (his last call-up) and so it makes sense that he wasn't selected for the Mar-23 or Jun-23 camps. He subsequently moved to Southampton on loan in Aug-23 and hasn't been called up since.

Take it or leave it, but Clarke can't be that fickle if he recalled him after the original incident in Nov-2021. I'm sure it's similar with McBurnie and it's not personal. The information is there - if you don't want to believe it then that's up to you. 

Edited by 2426255

It's one thing Clarke having a personal fall out with a player - I don't think that this happens or has happened.

What I think is more likely is that certain players might have a bad attitude and Clarke chooses to keep them out of the squad for that reason. There was an interview with Postecoglu where he said that one player with the wrong character creates loads of problems in a squad. I'd imagine that Clarke has a similar view to that.

I've nothing to go on that either Fraser or McBurnie have that kind of attitude other than the usual rumours that everyone has seen that could be true, false or somewhere in between, but it seems a more likely reason for their exclusion than the first option.

6 minutes ago, bleedingums said:

It's one thing Clarke having a personal fall out with a player - I don't think that this happens or has happened.

What I think is more likely is that certain players might have a bad attitude and Clarke chooses to keep them out of the squad for that reason. There was an interview with Postecoglu where he said that one player with the wrong character creates loads of problems in a squad. I'd imagine that Clarke has a similar view to that.

I've nothing to go on that either Fraser or McBurnie have that kind of attitude other than the usual rumours that everyone has seen that could be true, false or somewhere in between, but it seems a more likely reason for their exclusion than the first option.

The "fall out" was in Nov-21. Ryan Fraser played for Scotland in Sep-22 and Nov-22. Fraser's obviously not being left out for those reasons.  

7 hours ago, bleedingums said:

I think this is the case with Fraser where Clarke sees him as somewhat of a bad egg and doesn't want him around. Otherwise, based on the squad of players he has to pick from, he would continually be part of the team as he is one of our best forward options (as we are so limited) and would be great to bring off the bench.

Mcburnie however has had plenty of chances with Scotland and has done hee haw. The Sheff United fans seem to rate him however and has done okay lately so worth giving him another chance to see what he can offer to this current team

5 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

I think this is the case with Fraser where Clarke sees him as somewhat of a bad egg and doesn't want him around. Otherwise, based on the squad of players he has to pick from, he would continually be part of the team as he is one of our best forward options (as we are so limited) and would be great to bring off the bench.

Mcburnie however has had plenty of chances with Scotland and has done hee haw. The Sheff United fans seem to rate him however and has done okay lately so worth giving him another chance to see what he can offer to this current team

If you're picking fraser you've got to try and call up barnes first