Inheritance

57 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

What if they had murdered their parents?

Encourages them to commit a crime they can get away with.

orange juice luther GIF by BBC

14 hours ago, Jambomo said:

That’s awful. it’s bad enough to lose a parent never mind putting your sibling through this kind of shit. I hope he didn’t get away with it.

No, he didn't.

He was actually guilty of far worse stuff but that's not for this thread

4 hours ago, 101 said:

maybe with a few exceptions for orphans under 25

This is how you end up with guys dressed up in rubber suits cutting aboot in big daft motors

21 hours ago, ICTChris said:

We currently have a situation in my wife’s family where an elderly person is suffering from dementia but the process of getting them into a care home is being strung out partly because some of the people who have POA benefit from them not going in. 

Genuinely surprising to see people behave like this over a little bit of money. You’d think people would want the best for their family when they are ill but apparently not.

Pretty sure that can be contested, ie a doctor/social work assessment saying its in their best interests overrides the profiteering arses. 
I’ve seen people rip their families apart over these inheritance things, my old man has been ill all my life, genuinely all i want is for him to go on as long as he can because no amount of money would comfort me from his loss, my best mate, my wee boys best mate, cant imagine life without him. Its just my brother and I, im relatively comfortable, so probably just put the money away for the grandkids. Its more the sentimental things id like to have in the house. The wifes parents well the genetics mean the dragon beast will likely live on to an old age so there probably wont be anything, again, it doesnt really matter? If theres something for my wee boy great, but we’d rather they all just spent their money and had comfortable retirements. My mum worked her backside off for us and i try to explain to her that we’d rather she just enjoyed a really good retirement than try and leave stuff that no ones asking for. 

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

We have a friend who moved back with her parents about ten years ago to care for them - her dad was in end stages of cancer and he died shortly after, her mum is very frail and needs someone there to help her.  She has several siblings, who have spread out over the world and have families of their own so don't see much of them.  After a few years, her mum wanted to change the will to give her daughter the house outright when she died - it's her home, she lives there has done for years etc.  One of her siblings objected, said that they need the money for long term planning.  I don't know legally where they stand but it's just appalling behaviour IMO.  There is a lot more they'll inherit rather than just the house but they want to squeeze every last few quid out of it, no matter the impact on their sister who has looked after their parents for years.  The house is not some country pile, it's a completely normal family home. 

c***s. My Granny who is 101 is in care, it's about £4k a month.

She was with my parents for a couple of years but in the end she had to go into care as her needs were more than they could deal with.

So the sibling wouldn't have a penny if his sister went enoughs enough, I've more than done my bit.

When Mrs. RN#2 died there was quite a bit of money plus her own house (nothing to do with me). Turns out, as she hadn't left a will, her parents both got a hefty cut because of the law. Total farce as she hadn't spoken to (or even known the location) of her mother for over 20 years and hadn't spoken to her father in over 10.

I accepted it for what it was, not much else I could do. Amazingly, although neither parent attended the funeral, they were both quick enough to take the money and run!

When my dad passed away (10 years ago exactly today actually) he was in his late 50s and although not hugely surprising, was still quite unexpected and he had no will.

He remarried after my mother then they split and he bought a flat, retired and got a fair chunk of money off the council for taking early retirement.

Around a year before he passed away he got back with the second wife and as they never divorced there was no legal matters needing dealt with. As they were still married when he died she was entitled to the majority of the money. Sold the flat for a fraction of it's worth for a quick sale and pocketed the rest of the dough.

She walked away with around £80k or something, I got around £1,200 as I was his only child. She never even offered any of the money to me even though she knew fine well my dad would've wanted me to get the majority and if the shoe was on the other foot I'd have saw her alright.

Needless to say we don't talk anymore 

Edited by Bert Raccoon

There was an article in the financial press not so long ago where a husband and wife had two children each as a result of previous marriages.  They had their wills written in such a way that when one died all their assets would be passed to the surviving spouse.  Once the surviving spouse died the assets would be split between the four children.

Sounds quite reasonable.  Only when the husband died the wife subsequently changed her will so that all assets were passed to her two children only.

I’m only highlighting this in case any posters on here find themselves in a similar situation.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

There was an article in the financial press not so long ago where a husband and wife had two children each as a result of previous marriages.  They had their wills written in such a way that when one died all their assets would be passed to the surviving spouse.  Once the surviving spouse died the assets would be split between the four children.

Sounds quite reasonable.  Only when the husband died the wife subsequently changed her will so that all assets were passed to her two children only.

I’m only highlighting this in case any posters on here find themselves in a similar situation.

Dead?

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

Yup, still struggling with audience.

If I’m really trying to appeal to 99% of this audience, I’ll be in the Sydney Sweeney thread posting pictures…

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

I can 100% see this happening if my auld man dies before his Mrs.

This is overly simplistic as an example but at the start of 1981 the average house price in the UK was about £24K which after inflation equates to about £114K today, however, the cost of an average house at start of 2024 was £285K. I think it would be fare for that £171K of untaxed investment income to be subject to some form of inheritance tax.

14 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

What a horrible c**t