Final positions, playoffs and such...

Last night, Morton clocked up their 99th booking of the season; that's three per game and stacks more than next club, Raith, on 64.

That's a decent effort and we can all tune in for their 100th on Friday, live on council hoose TV.

2 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Last night, Morton clocked up their 99th booking of the season; that's three per game and stacks more than next club, Raith, on 64.

That's a decent effort and we can all tune in for their 100th on Friday, live on council hoose TV.

Christ, don't mention their discipline record, half the match thread last Saturday was them trying to defend it and deflect from it.

A stellar performance from Greenock's finest  with a league leading 380 fouls and five of the top 10 in yellow cards. Surely they are being persecuted by the fascist SFA refs of Scotland?  After all they are gentle footballing souls down that way are they not?

image.thumb.png.2b35ca2b0f4b9fa7e18b357363a03c82.png

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Christ, don't mention their discipline record, half the match thread last Saturday was them trying to defend it and deflect from it.

You'll notice that no one tried to defend it after the game, because naturally just to make us look stupid after that pre-match discussion it probably was our dirtiest performance of the season, as their heads detached after it became apparent inside a minute that it was heading for a pumping and they started committing some ridiculous fouls.

Power's booking last night was a piece of attempted shithousery I've never seen before. Ayr took a quick corner that the defence hadn't switched on for and Power, who was warming up in that corner at the time, 'accidentally' knocked a ball onto the park so there were two balls on. Ref ignored it with the ball being knocked back out of play by an Ayr player then as soon as play stopped was straight over the bench where Power had gone to hide after doing it. Funnily enough precisely none of Power and Broadfoot's bookings come to mind when thinking of occasions Morton players have had cause for complaint with cards.

On the Livingston discussion, I think a lot depends on how bad their financial situation really is. If along with inevitably losing the likes of Nouble and Anderson they also lose players who are still under contract but have relegation clauses and would be good Championship players even if they can't quite make a difference in the Premiership, then they could be in serious bother. If they can hang on to the likes of Brandon, Holt and Stephen Kelly then they'll at least have a core of players who should be quality at this level to build around, but if players like them end up leaving as court cases see them financially implode and other Championship clubs can pay considerably more then the scale of rebuild required could easily see that turn into a disaster.

Edited by Dunning1874

4 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Apparently last night George Oakley wasn’t able to play to his best as he was booked early on for trying to show off some wrestling moves on our defender. Didn’t realise some players had to be let away with repeated fouling in order to have a good game. 

5 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

A stellar performance from Greenock's finest  with a league leading 380 fouls and five of the top 10 in yellow cards. Surely they are being persecuted by the fascist SFA refs of Scotland?  After all they are gentle footballing souls down that way are they not?

image.thumb.png.2b35ca2b0f4b9fa7e18b357363a03c82.png

The one game McAllister should have been playing last night...

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Apparently last night George Oakley wasn’t able to play to his best as he was booked early on for trying to show off some wrestling moves on our defender. Didn’t realise some players had to be let away with repeated fouling in order to have a good game. 

Aye he tried that with Aaron Taylor-Sinclair who responded by physically smashing him quite literally to bits.

It was pleasing.

6 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Wee Dougie will be disappointed its taken this long to reach 100. That was probably his target by Christmas but they referees are always conspiring against him🤷‍♂️😉

23 hours ago, Glasgow Diamond said:

Wee Dougie will be disappointed its taken this long to reach 100. That was probably his target by Christmas but they referees are always conspiring against him🤷‍♂️😉

West coast bias. Oh wait........

On 10/04/2024 at 14:33, cb_diamond said:

To be honest, I wouldn't give a tinker's cuss about the criticism if QP played that way and it was working. 

3 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

It's nut they get so precious about the hammer thrower tag. Just embrace it. You don't get any extra points for "nice football"

Aye, I quite admire it tbh. 

I enjoyed it last year when we were just horrible to play against, we pressed well, were a nightmare to score against and we'd just beat you physically. 

More than one way to skin a cat. 

11 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

It's nut they get so precious about the hammer thrower tag. Just embrace it. You don't get any extra points for "nice football"

All good and well if its working for you but don't go greetin about how unfair it is if teams give you some back 

The impressive thing about Morton's disciplinary record is that they've not had a single player sent off all season for getting a second yellow card. That to me suggests it's very much calculated, and they know when to turn it on or off as required. It's definitely part of the game plan and it clearly works for them.

2 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

The impressive thing about Morton's disciplinary record is that they've not had a single player sent off all season for getting a second yellow card. That to me suggests it's very much calculated, and they know when to turn it on or off as required. It's definitely part of the game plan and it clearly works for them.

Aye, but for this to be true you would therefore need to acknowledge that Dougie Imrie is in some way a savvy and on the ball individual and we can only stretch credibility so far...

4 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Aye, but for this to be true you would therefore need to acknowledge that Dougie Imrie is in some way a savvy and on the ball individual and we can only stretch credibility so far...

Is Dougie Imrie still in the “what a job he’s doing down there, by the way…” territory with his media pals or has that died off after this run that they’re on?

5 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Yeah that's the thing, and why the claim that they are treated more harshly by referees is nonsense. It would be quite the bizarre psychological phenomenon that meant referees treated them more harshly with yellow card offences but less harshly with red card offences. For the most part it's calculated - quite a physical style, try and get in front and then break up the game with fouls, a few of which get bookings. Having said that, in last week's game they did seem to lose the plot a bit, Baird in particular.

As mentioned by someone, I don't have any issue with it and wouldn't care at all if we were like that. It's been great watching us, for the most part, play quite attractive football the last 2 years. But there's also part of me that cringes a little at the constant chat of 'footballing philosophies' around our style of play. Can only speak for myself but if we'd had the same results in the last 2 years playing the way Morton do it wouldn't have made any difference to my enjoyment.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever