Final positions, playoffs and such...

Just now, ayrunitedfw said:

You’ve won 13 games and lost 12 that is literally the definition of blowing hot and cold. 

Given my previous comment I'd say that more suggests a significant pickup second half of the season? No? We've certainly not blown hot and cold in the past 15, we've been the best team in the league in that period...

On 06/04/2024 at 18:42, Aufc said:

I suspect raith will finally bury the hoodoo against us in Tuesday. Huge game for us against the pars next week. Hopefully home advantage sees us take three points. 

Maybe us to beat you on Tuesday and then lose to you in the playoffs 😂. Been impressed with Airdrie this season, think we all had you down as 10th place before a ball was kicked.  Interesting one on Tuesday Pars fans will need to cheer us on if they want a top 4 spot. 

3 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Maybe us to beat you on Tuesday and then lose to you in the playoffs 😂. Been impressed with Airdrie this season, think we all had you down as 10th place before a ball was kicked.  Interesting one on Tuesday Pars fans will need to cheer us on if they want a top 4 spot. 

0-0 draw and several red cards for both sides would do me just fine tbh. 

Anywhere outside the relegation zone will do me nicely please. This season has been a clusterfuck for us, and I’m stunned we’re mid table now. Hope we can hold onto that at the very least, and a playoff spot would be a huge bonus IMO. 

7 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Is this true? Most Championship fans had Airdrie as favourites for 10th?

Surely that's just lazy "they only came up via the playoffs " chat.

They clearly had momentum, scored lots and a clever young manager. I thought it was clear they'd hold their own at least.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

They clearly had momentum, scored lots and a clever young manager. I thought it was clear they'd hold their own at least.

Yep. This. 

Most Airdrie fans were cautiously optimistic we would hold our own and consolidate. 

Personally I never thought we'd be challenging for the playoff but I'm 100% here for the journey and IF we make them who knows? 

Regardless of how it plays out, I think we have surprised a lot of people and I'm good with that. 

26 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

8th place, certainly in my mind at least, was always the goal this season. I would assume we’d perhaps even have budgeted on that.

Some of the young Airdrie twitter crowd had us down for the promotion play-offs 3 minutes after Josh Rae saved the winning penalty at NDP last season, and I thought they were bonkers, so there we are.

Even though we finished miles ahead of Airdire last season (and Falkirk, snigger), I actually thought Airdrie's style of play suited the Championship more than ours did. Our title winning run was built on a solid defence (and we were never going to keep as many clean sheets up against better forwards) and winning games by one (or more when part time teams tired). Airdrie were probably going to leave gaps at the back in a higher division but they also create a lot of space further forward with the movement of the front three so they were likely to have joy there. Obviously if we had a fully (or even close) to it squad then we may already be secure in the top four but it's no surprise to me that the Diamonds are doing so well. Still think if Raith win Tuesday we might pip them to 4th mind you...

I think a lot of the assumptions were that they would stick to the same way of playing regardless if it was appropriate and that would ultimately be what would cost them.

McCabe has adapted and grown as a manager in identifying when he needs  to change things and points won when he’s done that have made sure there not in a relegation fight. 

46 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Predicting final positions in this league isn't very clever.

But it’s still interesting. The amount of folks on here that thought Airdrie would be 10th, and Arbroath comfortably in the safety zone has been proved wrong. I can’t remember but I probably had Pars comfortably top 3-4. 

12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I think a lot of the assumptions were that they would stick to the same way of playing regardless if it was appropriate and that would ultimately be what would cost them.

McCabe has adapted and grown as a manager in identifying when he needs  to change things and points won when he’s done that have made sure there not in a relegation fight. 

Since the turn of the year we have been getting a lot of joy through Hancock on the wing, scaring defenders and getting wicked crosses in. However in the last wee while quite a bit of our play (and goals) has been coming through the middle - evidenced by the TNS and other games. TNS in particular couldn't cope with our Plan B and it seems as if we've bamboozled other teams with that too, and our ability to mix it up. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Even though we finished miles ahead of Airdire last season (and Falkirk, snigger), I actually thought Airdrie's style of play suited the Championship more than ours did. Our title winning run was built on a solid defence (and we were never going to keep as many clean sheets up against better forwards) and winning games by one (or more when part time teams tired). Airdrie were probably going to leave gaps at the back in a higher division but they also create a lot of space further forward with the movement of the front three so they were likely to have joy there. Obviously if we had a fully (or even close) to it squad then we may already be secure in the top four but it's no surprise to me that the Diamonds are doing so well. Still think if Raith win Tuesday we might pip them to 4th mind you...

Tend to agree , we need to pull off a big win against either Raith or United to get into 4th,    Next Saturday will be crucial, really good end to the season for both clubs...    4th or 5th would be unbelievable for Airdrie, who are punching above their weight , crowd, finance wise....

For the record I still think Ayr will finish 9th

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

8th place, certainly in my mind at least, was always the goal this season. I would assume we’d perhaps even have budgeted on that.

Some of the young Airdrie twitter crowd had us down for the promotion play-offs 3 minutes after Josh Rae saved the winning penalty at NDP last season, and I thought they were bonkers, so there we are.

I think a lot of that sort of thing is just Mad Twitter Bantz rather than something people genuinely thought.

I was cautiously optimistic about avoiding relegation, and have been very pleasantly surprised by how the season has gone.  I thought we'd take a few really sore ones over the course of the season, but while we've had our share of poor games the only real shoeing we've taken was that first away game up at Gayfield. 

I could well understand why most people thought we'd be down, though.  It's not just that we came up by the playoffs, but that we finished well off the pace for the title, and never looked like mounting a challenge for it - and on top of that didn't really strengthen in the summer, with really only Todorov (and what a signing he's turned out to have been) the only new player who looked up to much.  

It's been a very different season from running up cricket scores on diddy teams like Peterhead, Falkirk and Clyde, but this has been, so far, an immensely enjoyable year as an Airdrie fan, and we're on track for our highest finish since the original Airdrieonians folded.  Can't be too displeased with that.

6 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I think a lot of that sort of thing is just Mad Twitter Bantz rather than something people genuinely thought.

I was cautiously optimistic about avoiding relegation, and have been very pleasantly surprised by how the season has gone.  I thought we'd take a few really sore ones over the course of the season, but while we've had our share of poor games the only real shoeing we've taken was that first away game up at Gayfield. 

I could well understand why most people thought we'd be down, though.  It's not just that we came up by the playoffs, but that we finished well off the pace for the title, and never looked like mounting a challenge for it - and on top of that didn't really strengthen in the summer, with really only Todorov (and what a signing he's turned out to have been) the only new player who looked up to much.  

It's been a very different season from running up cricket scores on diddy teams like Peterhead, Falkirk and Clyde, but this has been, so far, an immensely enjoyable year as an Airdrie fan, and we're on track for our highest finish since the original Airdrieonians folded.  Can't be too displeased with that.

The main issue with league 1 is getting out of it. It's probably the worst league in Scotland because if you're a full time team there's every chance you're seen as a scalp to part time teams who will try their best to shitfest games. Throw in that you're bringing in bottom of the barrel full time players and it's a very tough gig. 

Airdrie will be seen as quite an attractive outfit for players next season. They've done well out of the links with Conscillium so far. 

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

They had came third in League One, only beat what was a poor Hamilton side in extra time and hadn't been in the Championship in about a decade, and didn't really strengthen in the window (Only brought in Todorov but lost Smith and another player to West Ham?) I don't think it was a massive surprise that most people had them bottom two. 

I had them in 8th finishing above QP and Arbroath. However I didn't have them above an Ayr side who'd just finished 2nd in the Championship, an ICT side who I thought would benefit from the finances of a Scottish Cup final, and who had comfortably disposed of yourselves in the Semis. I didn't have them above a Morton who I think were the form side the second half of last season, and I of course didn't have them above ourselves, I didn't see what buisness they'd done that would make up the 20 point gap. 

To me there's a massive amount of hindsight in play if you're suggesting that it's anything other than a surprise that Airdrie are currently in 4th, and it down plays what a fantastic job McCabe has done. 

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Airdrie were crazy tough last season, I thought they were our toughest opponents last season, and they have proven to be more than a handful this season too 

Just to join in the Airdrie praise. I genuinely thought they would be bottom 2 this season but they have comfortably been the best team I've seen us play against. Well organised defensively, disciplined, hungry and quite explosive on the break with pace in the team and real attacking quality. Todorov also gives them that different option and genuine threat up front. ( Pars must really rue not having him this season).

McCabe has done a great job and (unless they do go all the way to Premier League this season) they must be confident of putting in a challenge at the top end next season.

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

They had came third in League One, only beat what was a poor Hamilton side in extra time and hadn't been in the Championship in about a decade, and didn't really strengthen in the window (Only brought in Todorov but lost Smith and another player to West Ham?) I don't think it was a massive surprise that most people had them bottom two. 

I had them in 8th finishing above QP and Arbroath. However I didn't have them above an Ayr side who'd just finished 2nd in the Championship, an ICT side who I thought would benefit from the finances of a Scottish Cup final, and who had comfortably disposed of yourselves in the Semis. I didn't have them above a Morton who I think were the form side the second half of last season, and I of course didn't have them above ourselves, I didn't see what buisness they'd done that would make up the 20 point gap. 

To me there's a massive amount of hindsight in play if you're suggesting that it's anything other than a surprise that Airdrie are currently in 4th, and it down plays what a fantastic job McCabe has done. 

Definitely, and not least from Airdrie fans. I remember our thread back in June/July, fans having a near meltdown over lack of signings and fans being called 'happy clappers' because they refused to criticise the lack of signings by the club. Now there's a few pretending that all along they knew we'd be good...

I thought we'd just stay up, but it would be a real struggle. So have no issue with anyone else who thought we'd be bottom 2.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Definitely, and not least from Airdrie fans. I remember our thread back in June/July, fans having a near meltdown over lack of signings and fans being called 'happy clappers' because they refused to criticise the lack of signings by the club. Now there's a few pretending that all along they knew we'd be good...

I thought we'd just stay up, but it would be a real struggle. So have no issue with anyone else who thought we'd be bottom 2.

I predicted us as 9th this season in the predictions thread and was absolutely one of the people who was critical of the signing policy (many of whom I'll still maintain have been a waste of a wage Dunlop, GavGal etc). What I will say and have already eaten my humble pie on this is that my main moan was that there were players who we retained who I felt were nowhere near the standard. That's come to bear with ATS but I had earmarked Watson and Telfer as not good enough and I couldn't have been more wrong, particularly with Telfer, he's been absolutely sensational this season.