Rovers v Airdrie - Tuesday 09/04

This season has been our best for years, especially when you consider the direction the club was heading in 2 years ago.  That signing, as well as the wretched form and hugely expensive signings that was Mcglynns leaving legacy.  We've gone from that, to a situation where we will class finishing well clear in 2nd place as a bit of a dissapointment.

I do think it's fair to suggest that our points total is a bit kind.  It's very, very unusual to get this far into the season and be title challengers despite not really winning comfortably at any point in the league.  Not lucky as such, but it does feel like a disproportionate number of close games have fallen our way. It does feel like this season is "the chance", so it will naturally be a bit dissapointing if we don't gain promotion.  

Airdrie are probably the one team I dont want to face tomorrow.  They've been superb against us this season.  Hopefully we see a similar line up to Saturday, although I'd have Murray in if fit.  

Edited by CALDERON

Tomorrow will be interesting from an Airdrie standpoint - three injuries to key players who would normally start to begin with.  That includes the gaffer who, I’m sure, would normally start in this one.  Players that are probably much needed for a game against opposition like this.  But as ever this will come down to McCabes tactics.  He gets these pretty much spot on 80% of the time. Can we frustrate RR enough to get that ‘not again’ bug inside the players and fans heads? Honestly, I can’t really call this one.  My initial thoughts was a home win with the title on the line and everyone fired up.  But I’m thinking there’s a great chance of a draw if we can play football the way we want and Rhys always seems to figure Murray’s games tactics.  Away win is highly unlikely but after DU a couple of weeks back, who knows.  And if Todorov is in the mood….

I guess the only silver lining to losing is that maybe the title will go all the way to the final weekend   Best of luck to the Rovers regardless of tomorrows result 

13 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

The team needs overhauled, there's no denying it. How we are in the position we are in, is astounding considering we haven't played well since we beat Utd at Tannadice. I think it's just a really shitey bunch of teams this year and we have been the better of a bad bunch. 

Football fans can be really fucking weird sometimes. If I felt like this after one of the most entertaining seasons in the clubs history, I’d honestly find myself something else to do on a Saturday.  

I've watched the highlights of a good few games over the weekend, where the wind was a massive factor, and of all the games I've watched, Airdrie were the team who still managed to play the most fluent football. Imrie's gang were torn to shreds.

However, if Rovers are remotely serious about winning the title, they have to win tonight.

15 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Mate I'm shocked about McGill aswell. When he played earlier in the season, he didn't really put a foot wrong. He's also got a bit of height about him. 

Winger wise we've been crying out for an Ethan Ross type player. There's absolutely no pace in the team, which has also hindered. We chop and change most games so get no continuity either. Our big problem is Murray has no clue on our best 11. Unfortunately our midfield are incapable of controlling a game when we play 4 but when we play 5 we are much better that generally means Lewy has to be sacrificed as he can't hold up a ball. Fans get pissed because he's our best player, but unfortunately dropping him may be for the greater good against some teams, he's also a great pair of fresh legs to come on. 

The team needs overhauled, there's no denying it. How we are in the position we are in, is astounding considering we haven't played well since we beat Utd at Tannadice. I think it's just a really shitey bunch of teams this year and we have been the better of a bad bunch. 

This whole post is invalidated on the belief that Ethan Ross has pace...

55 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

A must-win. A loss here and I can't see Raith getting the points back with only 4 to play. 

Pretty much aye, a win tonight only get's us to the starting line. Anything less and we won't make a race of it.

Really see this game as a free hit for us tonight given that we won on Saturday, although a win would be amazing tonight I feel its more of a must win for Raith than us. Would be delighted to take a point and keep the confidence high for Saturday for which could be our biggest game of the season.

10 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I hope the forecast is right, but it’s the BBC weather forecast, so I’d be as well tossing a coin and believing that.

IMG_6568.png

We were up in Arbroath this time last week ❄️🌧️ , Thats absoulutely Taps Aff weather by comparison 😛

3 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Really see this game as a free hit for us tonight given that we won on Saturday, although a win would be amazing tonight I feel its more of a must win for Raith than us. Would be delighted to take a point and keep the confidence high for Saturday for which could be our biggest game of the season.

Bit of Squad rotation with saturday in mind??

As good as Airdrie have been against us this season, we've also been unusually poor in every game against them (genuinely not trying to take anything away from Airdrie with that statement - it's simply true).  Saying one team is "more up for it" than the other is a bit of a lazy cliché but it really has seemed that way at times.

I have no doubt that Rovers will be fired up for this game and will press from the start.  As fans, we also need to be up for this from the start.  With a few exceptions, the atmosphere has been awful at home all season and we really need to change that tonight.  That means as many as possible making an effort.  It annoys me when people start shouting at the young team to start singing.  If you want an atmosphere, you start it.

This league is still there to be won and 3 points tonight puts massive pressure on United on Friday.  Drop points tonight and it's all about finding form for the playoffs.

I'm nervous as hell but confident that we have the players capable of going out and doing the business tonight.  Putting aside any talk of who the better manager is, it's about the 11 men in our team going out there and doing their jobs.  We're 16 points ahead of Airdrie for a reason and they need to go out there tonight and show it.

We absolutely have to win tonight to have any hope of the title. A lot of people seem to think it’s over already after the defeat at Tannadice but I’m not so sure. Win tonight and it can start to put the pressure on them again. They need to win the title. Ours is a free hit. 

43 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

As good as Airdrie have been against us this season, we've also been unusually poor in every game against them (genuinely not trying to take anything away from Airdrie with that statement - it's simply true).  Saying one team is "more up for it" than the other is a bit of a lazy cliché but it really has seemed that way at times.

I have no doubt that Rovers will be fired up for this game and will press from the start.  As fans, we also need to be up for this from the start.  With a few exceptions, the atmosphere has been awful at home all season and we really need to change that tonight.  That means as many as possible making an effort.  It annoys me when people start shouting at the young team to start singing.  If you want an atmosphere, you start it.

This league is still there to be won and 3 points tonight puts massive pressure on United on Friday.  Drop points tonight and it's all about finding form for the playoffs.

I'm nervous as hell but confident that we have the players capable of going out and doing the business tonight.  Putting aside any talk of who the better manager is, it's about the 11 men in our team going out there and doing their jobs.  We're 16 points ahead of Airdrie for a reason and they need to go out there tonight and show it.

😂😂

1 hour ago, Glasgow Diamond said:

Bit of Squad rotation with saturday in mind??

Yeah I think there'll be a couple of changes, wouldn't be surprised to see Lyall and McGregor in

I think we lose this game tonight for the simple reason all logic and reason suggests a confidence of getting something from this. Not something I often do is look at form and stats before an Airdrie game and my thoughts are usually based on my gut feelings. 

I could get this completely wrong but from a Raith perspective it’s what can Murray do differently? So far he hasn’t done much to change things yet. 

Going by the stats on Flashcore Raith have an average of 1 goal a game in the last 7 which will be worrying for them and the game before that was the defeat to Arbroath. We have the second best defence in the league and even when Raith seemed at their scoring best they still couldn’t manage more than a single goal against a tough Airdrie defence. Add the fact the diamonds have yet to taste defeat against Raith and can include a cup win in that. Airdrie have to be confident of again coming away the happier side tongiht right?

Its with those stats I now fear the worst as football is simply not that easy and that leads my gut feeling to say 2-1 Raith. Felt better before diving into the game. 

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

If we can come out of this Fife double header with a 3 point gap still intact over Dunfermline then I'll be happy. I'd be delighted if it was 4 and absolutely ecstatic if was 6.

I get what you mean though, if we get beat tonight we get another chance to put it right on Saturday but a bit wary that Dunfermline's run in looks "easier" than ours.

A final trip for the season to my daughters favourite away ground tomorrow.

I absolutely hate getting bogged down in budget talk like earlier in the thread, , we've proven we can mix it in this division with the best (except Ayr!) and a very enjoyable season's been had.  I actually feel so much more relaxed now with (IMO anyway) us 99% playing championship football next season and will enjoy the last few games with a bit less nervousness.

Even though I'll relax, its still very much a golden opportunity to get a better grip on 4th place (Who'da thought!) Heading up slightly earlier to get fed and watered and hopefully an enjoyable evening.

Can we settle on a draw as long as Utd get beat this weekend?