Total Eclipse

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Not a total but the one we had here in 2015 was 90%. Was very strange and the temperature dropped quite noticeably and all the birds shut up.  Felt like the sun had been dimmed down a notch or two as well. 

My next door neighbour Mike brought out his 8 inch reflector for the occasion.

Enjoy and take some photos. 

Reveal hidden contents

Carry On Abroad Sid James GIF - Carry On Abroad Sid James ...

The birds shutting up, and the whole place in general going quiet is what I remember most.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Saw the one in 1999. Looked at it through a welders mask. Best way to look at one.

My dad worked as a safety rep for 3M at the time and sourced me a fancy welders mask for the big event. My mum wouldn't let me use it though and never let me look at it properly.  Still raging about that tbh.

8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I didn't take photos because I didn't have a good lens, but it's a pretty magical experience.  It went almost completely dark, the street lights came on, the Corona was clearly visible and it was just a surreal feeling.  We got about 3 minutes of totality 

Ditto, just outside Dallas and had about 4:20 of totality. It was eerie, the amount of light that was still coming from very little exposed sun was nuts, until quite suddenly it just got dark. The temperature had been cooling, things got quiet, and the overall appearance of things got washed out in the run-up to it. Shadow bands really were strange as they rippled across the parking lots. Had seen a 99% eclipse in 1984, and this was very different.

Followed the NASA live stream as it moved across the continent, whilst getting updates from relatives in Ontario. Very envious, would be quite something to experience.

Loved the shots from the ISS 🙂

0x0.jpg?format=jpg&crop=764,429,x25,y0,s

Edited by Lurkst

16 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Followed the NASA live stream as it moved across the continent, whilst getting updates from relatives in Ontario. Very envious, would be quite something to experience.

Loved the shots from the ISS 🙂

0x0.jpg?format=jpg&crop=764,429,x25,y0,s

Nice

IMG_8829.gif

14 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I didn't take photos because I didn't have a good lens, but it's a pretty magical experience.  It went almost completely dark, the street lights came on, the Corona was clearly visible and it was just a surreal feeling.  We got about 3 minutes of totality 

Pishwater!

Bonnie Tyler is best viewed in total darkness. She looks like somebody drew a face on the palm of a boxing glove.

All that you touch
And all that you see
All that you taste
All you feel
And all that you love
And all that you hate
All you distrust
All you save
And all that you give
And all that you deal
And all that you buy
Beg, borrow or steal
And all you create
And all you destroy
And all that you do
And all that you say
And all that you eat
And everyone you meet
And all that you slight
And everyone you fight
And all that is now
And all that is gone
And all that's to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

And in the land of the free (from critical thinking) and the home of the (to say that you've got to be) brave...

From the Independent - "A woman accused of going on a shooting spree along an interstate in northern Florida has claimed that God directed her to it due to the total solar eclipse."

Further, Fox News rather startlingly linked the eclipse to immigration by claiming that the it would allow all sorts of ne'er-do-wells to enter the country under the cove of darkness, presumably forgetting that rare occurrence every day of that "night-time" thingy.

Lastly, on American TV's The View.... "Host of The View Sunny Hostin was criticised after trying to connect yesterday's total solar eclipse and the recent earthquake in New York to climate change. Hostin pulled together different factors including the eclipse, the earthquake, and the emergence of cicadas."

Ah, the joys of education.