The Kate Forbes thread

Sonam

15 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

There's no doubt that Forbes has the intelligence and quick fire ability to hold her own against the likes of Dross

Name a poster on P&B who doesn't have the intelligence or quick-fire ability to hold their own against DRoss.

...alright, other than me.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

There was alleged to be a female pope once and the papal chair had a hole made in the seat so a cardinal could discretely check for said bollocks before the white smoke was issued,

Trans panic as far back as the 9th century!

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I knew I'd came to the right thread when this sort of talk appeared!

Falkirk needing to up their game. 7,200 just ain't gonna cut it against the Free Church next season.

41 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a question of imposing your religious beliefs on others.  Mhairi Black made an excellent statement about “If your faith says you cannot drink alcohol, then don’t. If your religion says you cannot enter same sex marriage, then don’t. If your religion does not allow for abortion, then do not have one.”  But don’t tell other people what they can or can’t do.

Isn't telling other people that they can't tell other people what they can't or can't do a clearcut example of telling other people what they can't or can't do? 🫠

How do you tolerate the intolerable etc etc

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

So while railing against 'homophobia' among public officials you casually indulge in aphobia instead. 

The mask always slips when you're trying so hard to impress others with virtue.

I have no prejudice against asexual people and don’t see Incels as a natural subset of aphobia, though I’d imagine some/many Incels would like to hide behind that cloak. 

18 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

The Free Church with an average attendance of 8,000 is steeped in the past and it's core beliefs are well out of kilter within a modern Scotland, especially with the young, but there is no denying that Kate Forbes is a forceful capable intelligent woman, however her adherence to the Free Church social disciplines would not see her in any way popular with the majority.

But with John Swinney popular with the membership he will be FM but I bet that Kate Forbes will figure in his cabinet.

And there is a tough mean streak in Swinney that the membership is well aware of.

The majority of what?

How many of the electorate are heavily into politics? That majority will just think she’s a nice enough wee lassie. 

It's clear that Kate Forbes, or anyone else, isn't going to abolish gay marriage or abortion or anything like that.  There isn't the support for this in Parliament or among the general population.  If people don't want somebody who has those views, regardless of their ability or desire to implement them, as First Minister or leader of their party then that's up to them.

It used to be that some of these issues were considered issues of conscience and there would be a free vote on them.  If I recall correctly, at least one of Tony Blair's cabinet was a member of Opus Dei (Ruth Kelly) and one of his senior ministers, David Blunkett, voted against every attempt to reduce the age of homosexual consent.  It seems like we've moved away from that, I guess it's a reflection of society compared to 20 years ago.

15 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The majority of what?

How many of the electorate are heavily into politics? That majority will just think she’s a nice enough wee lassie. 

SNP Membership and among MSP's.

At this moment in time Forbes would probably win any SNP members vote based on previous result. Id guess SNP members and the public basically just want someone capable of running things reasonably well at this point in time. If she did throw her hat in the race and won though would many people actually leave the SNP? theres some talk but theres always talk like that and rarely if ever do people act on it.

I think Flynn would be the only candidate who could unite the party (what are his politics? Id guess hes a center type candidate) and potentially do well with the general vote in an election at this moment but not sure how involved hes been in Humza choices the last few weeks and if hes burned a few bridges due to that within the party.

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I switched back and forth, think I finally settled on Yousaf but I could be wrong. I definitely wouldn't vote for her now. 

Be honest, you voted for Forbes last time but don't want to admit it.

As if you can't remember 😆

2 minutes ago, Nid said:

Be honest, you voted for Forbes last time but don't want to admit it.

As if you can't remember 😆

Quite the first post on a football forum Mr Nid, I don't think we've been introduced, have you changed your name perchance?

Just now, welshbairn said:

Quite the first post on a football forum Mr Nid, I don't think we've been introduced, have you changed your name perchance?

Now now Welshbairn, diversionary tactics won't work.

Why won't you just admit to voting for Forbes last time round?

Just now, Nid said:

Now now Welshbairn, diversionary tactics won't work.

Why won't you just admit to voting for Forbes last time round?

I'm getting old, my memory isn't what it was. As I said I switched back and forth between 2 poor choices (never considered the 3rd) and it pretty well came down to a coin toss, gradual decline with Yousaf or crash and burn with Forbes.

I find it strange that certain folk claim to be opposed to homophobia yet are tolerant of a homophobe becoming First Minister because they could not enact policies against gay people.

A logical extension of this would be that they wouldn’t have any problems with an avowed racist in that role.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Who have you upset lately?

And by lately, I mean at any point in the past 14 years, and enough that they'd nurse a grievance all this time before launching a breathtaking gotcha moment over which one of three poor politicians you may or may not have voted for.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'm getting old, my memory isn't what it was. As I said I switched back and forth between 2 poor choices (never considered the 3rd) and it pretty well came down to a coin toss, gradual decline with Yousaf or crash and burn with Forbes.

There's no way a door knocking party member has forgotten who he voted for in the last SNP leadership election, which wasn't that long ago.

Stick to that line if you want though.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I have no prejudice against asexual people and don’t see Incels as a natural subset of aphobia, though I’d imagine some/many Incels would like to hide behind that cloak. 

Aphobia is a thing now?  Everyone wants to be a persecuted minority I guess.  

5 minutes ago, Nid said:

There's no way a door knocking party member has forgotten who he voted for in the last SNP leadership election, which wasn't that long ago.

Stick to that line if you want though.

I'm way too lazy to go door knocking, the most activist thing I do is ask the Tories for a lift to the polling station.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm way too lazy to go door knocking, the most activist thing I do is ask the Tories for a lift to the polling station.

Hope you're sure about that; he's consulting his notes.