The Kate Forbes thread

Sonam

Just now, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

It was a member of his party, possibly an MSP who made the original statement, this prompted the station making the correction. 

Yep, Michelle Thomson who I assume was trying to add some context to all of the shrillness 

5 hours ago, tirso said:

I think Forbes religious views should be left out of debate as Humza Yousaf's was.  Being a wee free is part of people's identity in certain parts of the country, it doesn't mean its followers are stridently admonishing anyone or wanting the churches teachings into national policy.

She seems far more measured than that and some of the over aggressive language on here anyway.

That said I wouldn't vote for her as SNP leader.

Lord Mackay of Clashfern, the Lord Chancellor and top law officer in Margaret Thatchers government, an Invernessian and the son of a railway worker was severely admonished by the Free Church for attending the funeral of two Roman Catholic colleagues in London, he was suspended as an elder and asked to repent and vow that he would not attend a Catholic service again.

The Free Church regarded a Roman Catholic Mass as an abomination against god.

He resigned from the Free Church and worshipped in the Associated Presbyterian Church here in Inverness.

He had an illustrious career from humble beginnings but in religion he stood by his principles.

8 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Lord Mackay of Clashfern, the Lord Chancellor and top law officer in Margaret Thatchers government, an Invernessian and the son of a railway worker was severely admonished by the Free Church for attending the funeral of two Roman Catholic colleagues in London, he was suspended as an elder and asked to repent and vow that he would not attend a Catholic service again.

He resigned from the Free Church and worshipped in the Associated Presbyterian Church here in Inverness.

He had an illustrious career from humble beginnings but in religion he stood by his principles.

I though the APC was set up by Lord MacKay and his supporters?

32 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

He was a member of the Free Presbyterian Church (the Wee Wee Frees) and not the Free Church (Wee Frees). 

I don't know if anyone well known ever joined the Popular Free Church (wee splitters)

12 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

He was a member of the Free Presbyterian Church (the Wee Wee Frees) and not the Free Church (Wee Frees). 

I don't know if anyone well known ever joined the Popular Free Church (wee splitters)

58cd398f-5fd5-4b96-9c1e-34fd74226307_text.gif

Statement from the Indian Council of Scotland:

It is with increased discomfort we view the unseemly language being used to denigrate Kate Forbes MSP – a potential candidate for the office of First Minister. 

Let me be very clear; I am not a Scottish nationalist and do not support the fragmenting of the United Kingdom. But that does not prevent me, nor the Indian Councils of Scotland and the United Kingdom, from expressing our collective disgust at the language used to mis-characterise a young, Scottish Protestant, Kate Forbes. 

She is in our view, doing her utmost as a devout Christian, to adhere to the teachings of her Saviour. 

I have never met Ms Forbes – but I understand her family distinguished themselves in India. Her father worked as an accountant managing the finances of a group of Christian mission hospitals which ensured people living in poverty were able to access free health care. 

For that alone, the Indian Councils of Scotland and the United Kingdom, salute the Forbes family. 

As a child in India – we know Ms Forbes will have been imbued with a deep love and affection for the people of India, their traditions, religions, and varying social and economic circumstances. 

Are some members of her own party and the extremists of the Green party really saying a young Highland lady, and a follower of Jesus Christ, is not fit to hold the highest office in devolved Scotland? 

If every other faith was subjected to the scrutiny and opprobrium Ms Forbes and her Church is subjected to – few would be deemed fit for office by the secular ‘religious police’. 

Religious intolerance blights our society - and what has been said and written about Ms Forbes, shames us all. I am not from her religious tradition, but I commend her honesty and the uncomplicated simplicity of her Christian faith. Her mother and father laboured as devout Scottish Christians in India. Sadly, it appears, their talented daughter is not allowed to express her faith in her native land. 

I’ll finish this note with a quote from Kate Forbes, speaking on the BBC, she said:

“I believe in the person of Jesus Christ, I believe He died for me, He saved me and that my calling is to serve and to love Him and to serve and love my neighbours with all my heart and soul and mind and strength. So that, for me, is essential to my being. Politics will pass. I was a person before I was a politician, and that person will continue to believe that I am made in the image of God.”

Neil Lal
Chairman and President
of
The Indian Council of Scotland and United Kingdom

21 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Her beliefs aren't compatible with the 21st century, and I mean her economics, not her whackjob religion.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Lord Mackay of Clashfern, the Lord Chancellor and top law officer in Margaret Thatchers government, an Invernessian and the son of a railway worker was severely admonished by the Free Church for attending the funeral of two Roman Catholic colleagues in London, he was suspended as an elder and asked to repent and vow that he would not attend a Catholic service again. The Free Church regarded a Roman Catholic Mass as an abomination against god. He resigned from the Free Church and worshipped in the Associated Presbyterian Church here in Inverness. He had an illustrious career from humble beginnings but in religion he stood by his principles.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I though the APC was set up by Lord MacKay and his supporters?

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

He was a member of the Free Presbyterian Church (the Wee Wee Frees) and not the Free Church (Wee Frees). I don't know if anyone well known ever joined the Popular Free Church (wee splitters)

SandyCromarty is mistaken.

Lord Mackay was an elder in the Free Presbyterian CofS (the 'Wee Wee Frees'), a conservative minority which had left the Free Church of Scotland (the 'Frees') in 1893... Forbes belongs to the conservative minority of the latter (the 'Wee Frees') who didn't unite with United Presbyterian Church in 1900 to form the United Free Church... However in a more contemporary context she belongs to a liberal majority the FC Continuing left in 2000.

Ian Blackford is also a 'Wee Free' - as was Gordon Wilson.

Mackay and a liberal minority left the FPs in 1989 forming Associated Presbyterian Churches. (Incidentally the APC has since declined to only 6 congregations; only Inverness + Stornoway still have their own churchbuilding).

There hasn't been a Scottish church census since 2016, but on 2nd Sunday in May that year Church of Scotland attendance was 136,910... Free Church (i.e. Forbes & Blackford's denomination) 10,210... UFs 3,220... FC Continuing 830... other presbyterians combined (FPs + APC i.e. Mackay's denomination + RPs + IPC) 2,180.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 hours ago, Binos said:

She's religious,  so is anas sarwar

Negative media coverage re sarwar, zero

There is a difference, in that Sarwar voted for same sex marriage, whereas Forbes said that (because of her faith) she would've voted against it.

3 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

There is a difference, in that Sarwar voted for same sex marriage, whereas Forbes said that (because of her faith) she would've voted against it.

HY managed to be washing his hair when this vote went down.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

HY managed to be washing his hair when this vote went down.

Maybe he has questions to answer over that, I don't know, but Yousaf voting for  GRR - without getting into the rights and wrongs of that - would suggest that he wouldn't be squeamish about voting for same sex marriage.

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

Maybe he has questions to answer over that, I don't know, but Yousaf voting for  GRR - without getting into the rights and wrongs of that - would suggest that he wouldn't be squeamish about voting for same sex marriage.

In 2013 he voted in principal for Civil Partnerships, four months later he was under the hair dryer and getting his nails done.

According to The Spectator, he was told about the vote and two days later decided he had other things to do.

23 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

In 2013 he voted in principal for Civil Partnerships, four months later he was under the hair dryer and getting his nails done.

According to The Spectator, he was told about the vote and two days later decided he had other things to do.

He wasn't exactly getting his nails done, he was pleading for the life of somebody on death row. Anyway, there was zero chance of the bill not being passed, so even if it was convenient timing his vote would have made no difference. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

He wasn't exactly getting his nails done, he was pleading for the life of somebody on death row. Anyway, there was zero chance of the bill not being passed, so even if it was convenient timing his vote would have made no difference. 

I'm glad he is a compassionate sort, years later he would* now this is where things overlap.

He manages to cough up 750K to a Middle East bunch and suddenly his in-laws are released from a war zone.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I'm glad he is a compassionate sort, years later he would* now this is where things overlap.

He manages to cough up 750K to a Middle East bunch and suddenly his in-laws are released from a war zone.

Is this from the Spectator too? If you're talking about the Scot Gov grant it was given to the UN.

2 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Weird how this lot appear like clockwork..

Edited by welshbairn