Dumbarton vs Stirling, Stirling vs Dumbarton

Who goes through?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who goes through?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/24 at 18:45

18 hours ago, headthebaw said:

Dumbarton clearly came to frustrate and hold their first leg advantage and they did it well. I lost count of the number of players booked for time wasting.

I think Sons will struggle against Spartans so we’ll be meeting again next season.

1 hour ago, dave_binos said:

Glad you lot didn’t time waste either yesterday. Many teams would have done in your situation. Annan were awful for it the week before. Maybe Stevie just knew we were shite anyway and there wasn’t any point. 

Mr headthebaw seems to suggest otherwise!

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Mr headthebaw seems to suggest otherwise!

He is entitled to that opinion. Annan and QOTS were brilliant at it. Maybe a borders thing. 

Delighted to get through yesterday! Over the two legs there wasn’t a great deal in it and I think we did fairly well. 

I felt that we edged the first half in terms of likelihood to score although both teams were well in the game. In the second half Stirling instantly changed to a back 3 and this created some issues for us with both our wingers and Full backs not being sure who should pick up the Stirling wing backs. During that 15 min period at the start of the second half Stirling were absolutely dominant and probably should have scored. After that, as has been mentioned, they became too direct and this was far more comfortable for us to defend against. As a result, the last 30 minutes weren’t too nervy. 

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

I see he's been relieved of his duties. As I said a couple of days ago, prized w****r. 

As much as I dislike him, he did win them a title, so I was a little surprised by the amount of comments on their Twitter calling for him to go. That said, I think it’s generally for the best if a manager goes after a relegation.

27 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

As much as I dislike him, he did win them a title, so I was a little surprised by the amount of comments on their Twitter calling for him to go. That said, I think it’s generally for the best if a manager goes after a relegation.

It's a fine line. Peter Murphy, who had a team finish on the same points as Stirling, has just moved to a full time club in the same division, whilst Young ends up in the dole queue. If Stirling had conceded 6 less (or scored 6 more) goals over the course of the season Young is hailed as a success and is currently building a League 1 squad for next season. I don't know if they're right to sack him or not but it does seem a tad harsh to me. 

55 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's a fine line. Peter Murphy, who had a team finish on the same points as Stirling, has just moved to a full time club in the same division, whilst Young ends up in the dole queue. If Stirling had conceded 6 less (or scored 6 more) goals over the course of the season Young is hailed as a success and is currently building a League 1 squad for next season. I don't know if they're right to sack him or not but it does seem a tad harsh to me. 

Exactly this... such a fine line.

I'd have been happy to have him have another crack at League two and the whole thing seems very strange to me.

Maybe there's more going on than I know about..something has seemed off for a while but I put it down to the threat of relegation.

Peter Murphy is lucky that Bartley set such a low bar. I'd rather watch us than Annan any day of the week.

Can't think that DY will stay out of work. Sure another League 2 club will give him a job sooner rather than later.

13 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I think the YouTube comments came from the minority and from internet loudmouths to be honest. I think it's been clear since the sacking that Young still had the backing of the support and to be honest, apart from a couple of lone wolf shouts, I don't think I even heard of anyone calling for his head. 

12 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

Peter Murphy is lucky that Bartley set such a low bar. I'd rather watch us than Annan any day of the week.

Listen, people can argue that it's successful all they want and that's fine, however if a manager is now appointed that plays the game in that manner then I'm walking away. Watching players do that every week is not what I come along to football, travelling up and down the country, to see. I thought that kind of "anti-football" left the lower leagues when the likes of John Coughlan couldn't get back in. Yes, as I said, it has worked for Annan and for Peter Murphy but count me out if we start doing that. All clubs are partial to a bit of "game management" and being hard to beat but that is just on a different level.

I think the overwhelming reaction of Sons fans leaving Forthbank was satisfaction tinged with relief at progressing, but there was very little pleasure in Stirling's relegation.  And unless there is some sort of planned process then Darren Young's departure looks very much like a knee-jerk reaction.

I think the key turning point for Annan wasn't their last-game draw at Stirling, but the comeback from 1-3 down at home to a rampant Falkirk team - that kept them in touch and almost certainly gave them vital momentum.

8 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think the overwhelming reaction of Sons fans leaving Forthbank was satisfaction tinged with relief at progressing, but there was very little pleasure in Stirling's relegation.  And unless there is some sort of planned process then Darren Young's departure looks very much like a knee-jerk reaction.

I think the key turning point for Annan wasn't their last-game draw at Stirling, but the comeback from 1-3 down at home to a rampant Falkirk team - that kept them in touch and almost certainly gave them vital momentum.

We sleep walked into relegation, not noticing the lack of results and gradual slide down the league. When the club woke up we were in last chance saloon and lost the two shoot outs. In some measure I think that while the board are working to create a stronger base for the club as a business they became distracted and forgot that the principal business of the club is football.

On 11/05/2024 at 17:06, 19QOS19 said:

Not enough positive thinking from @Beepee67 IMO 🫣

Yip...I got it wrong big-time.. .that was a painful end to the season...went down with a whimper 

Big enough to say i was blinded by my love for my team..however reality was we were shocking...new manager & rebuild now before life in the 2nd Division....tough to take but that's fact...all the best @19QOS19 next season .... hopefully we can meet again in the same league sooner rather than later ...just hope we don't get MB 🤣

18 hours ago, AlbionMan said:

We sleep walked into relegation, not noticing the lack of results and gradual slide down the league. When the club woke up we were in last chance saloon and lost the two shoot outs. In some measure I think that while the board are working to create a stronger base for the club as a business they became distracted and forgot that the principal business of the club is football.

Spot on 👏

On 11/05/2024 at 17:41, headthebaw said:

I think Sons will struggle against Spartans so we’ll be meeting again next season.

Up ye.

On 10/05/2024 at 19:15, Darkness78 said:

If it is any consolation, I think the play off winner is coming from the other tie. 

Up you anol.

19 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Up ye.

Up you anol.

Genuinely pleased that Dumbarton have been promoted.

We won’t have to visit that shit hole next season