East Kilbride v Stranraer

Posted (edited)

We need somewhere to talk about these playoff games. (As opposed to general dislike of East Kilbride, general dislike of Stranraer, MK, MK at Darvel, EK's gound, EK vs EK Thistle, ongoing repetition of arguments about promotion/relegation/the pyramid, the war in Gaza etc.)

Edited by EdinburghBlue

I’ve not seen EK this year, so can’t comment on them apart from seeing their reported successful results - are Stranraer fans confident?

Can you keep it close after the first game to ensure you have a fighting chance when you take them back to Stair Park?

Hopefully Saturdays win against the league champions (who admittedly were probably already on the beach, and deservedly so) gives the team a real boost to head into Saturday with more belief than they would otherwise have had. 

No idea what to expect from EK. I don't assume we'll come away with an easy win, and I'd be happy enough if the tie was still alive when we get them back to Stair Park. 

I was impressed with Stranraer during their 2-0 win against Stenhousemuir last weekend - they won most of the first balls, almost every second ball, dominated the second half especially and could have scored more than two - but the context of that match matters, and the Warriors went into it with a lack of drive and hunger, their minds well and truly elsewhere, so it's difficult to properly judge how good a side Stranraer actually are and whether or not they can get the better of East Kilbride. if they can show the same aggression and stomach for the battle, they have a chance, that's for sure.

I've watched East Kilbride's highlights over the course of the season and they're a fearsome attacking unit but they can be got at the back. Can Deryn Lang and Tam Orr get the goals Stranraer will need? I don't know.

Should be a smashing tie either way. Good luck!

Stranraer are very reminiscent of last year’s Albion Rovers team who were talented but inexperienced and lacked the leadership to take us through the playoff. We effectively played into Spartans hands. 
Nathan Flanagan and Tiwi are the ones to watch for EK, very very good side with the ball. They were suspect at the back and then reportedly paid crazy money for our captain Sean Fagan which will steady them up. EK will be favourites and I have noticed over the years the team from the LL do tend to get favourable refereeing decisions. I think it will be close with EK edging it but I think under pressure they do have capacity for shitting the bed. Stranraer need to keep the 2nd leg alive no question.

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Stranraer are very reminiscent of last year’s Albion Rovers team who were talented but inexperienced and lacked the leadership to take us through the playoff. We effectively played into Spartans hands. 
Nathan Flanagan and Tiwi are the ones to watch for EK, very very good side with the ball. They were suspect at the back and then reportedly paid crazy money for our captain Sean Fagan which will steady them up. EK will be favourites and I have noticed over the years the team from the LL do tend to get favourable refereeing decisions. I think it will be close with EK edging it but I think under pressure they do have capacity for shitting the bed. Stranraer need to keep the 2nd leg alive no question.

Flanagan is suspended for the first leg.

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Interested in this. I go to every second leg of the play-off final at least and have made a few first legs on an annual basis (the only second leg I missed was Brechin v Kelty due to COVID restrictions that I bought a stream for) and I can’t remember any obviously controversial decisions going in the Lowland League (or non-league) clubs’ favour.

The only instances that I recall being terribly controversial were the Brora captain’s (Steven McKay?) headsgone against Montrose that saw him sent off, but was justified and the chaos between Cowdenbeath and Cove, that went on the SPFL clubs’ favour.

I genuinely can’t remember at Highland or Lowland club benefitting from anything notable in these ties.

Perhaps the Brechin player being sent off for a homophobic slur at a stricken Kelty player? No issues with that decision tbh.

If we come away from EK with the scores level, or even a 1 goal defeat, i'd back us in the second leg. We've got to be on our game in the first leg, if we are off it the tie could be over as they have some quality in attack. 

Forza Blu!

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Allez Les Bleus!

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Retweet

Shared north east 

I'm very interested in how East Kilbride are going to get on here.

We've only really seen them play a 'big league' side once this year in Hamilton in the challenge cup after beating what were essentially Stirling and Edinburgh's under 20 sides. It was a fairly convincing 5-2 away win for the Accies.

It should probably be noted that only two of the EK starting lineup from that Accies game in October started their final league game against Tranent, which is fairly astounding.

Is the lad Forrest likely to play for Stranraer ?  He looks good in midfield but I see he was subbed after 61 minutes on Saturday - precaution or injury ?

If Stranraer come away with a tight first-leg scoreline then Stair Park could be key to them maintaining their national league status.  Nothing against EK but I really hope they do.

Don't really see the comparison with Stranraer & Albion Rovers.

Rovers could score goals for fun but couldn't defend, its the opposite with Stranraer plus if Rovers were inexperienced, Stranraer aren't.

20 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

Don't really see the comparison with Stranraer & Albion Rovers.

Rovers could score goals for fun but couldn't defend, its the opposite with Stranraer plus if Rovers were inexperienced, Stranraer aren't.

Except for the fact Stranraer conceded 5 more goals this season than Albion Rovers did last season.