Clyde FC Season 24/25

6 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Is there any club in Scotland (or anywhere for that matter) who charge less for away fans than they do the home fans?

Thats a genuine question as I don’t recall seeing that anywhere.

ETA: I would be surprised if the cost to away fans was a consideration in this decision by the club. They’re not in place on the board to greatly worry about how costing will affect away fans imo, especially in L2 with the extremely small away crowds. Say 10 or 20 decide not to go due to the increase out of maybe 75-100 for example who would have before, it’s not a real blow each home game. I would imagine Away crowd figures won’t factor into the budget to greatly in L2 or even L1.

Outwith the Championship away crowds are dire.

I doubt they do no. My point was the folk who think being extorted is acceptable were using the argument you have to pay to get better quality. That obviously doesn't apply to the away fans. 

As I say, if Clyde don't hit the ground running I think it might be a decision that bites them on the backside. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Captain Sham said:

Yes but that week you do have the home game it’s £400 that’s available for a wage.  People don’t seem to grasp the fact that good players cost money and that has to come from somewhere! 

A section of our support only see problems instead of trying to help the club progress.  If that means paying a little extra then I’m happy to do so.  I’m fed up of the watching garbage on a Saturday so I’ll happily pay an extra 2 quid a time if it gets me a Kinnear in goals rather than Leighfield/Parry.  

I think you're completely missing my point here, but perhaps I've not been clear so allow me to reword.

It's not that "People don’t seem to grasp the fact that good players cost money and that has to come from somewhere!" in the slightest. Everyone recognises that. The point is, the club are trying to establish a long lost trust between the board/club in general and the fanbase. One that will ultimately result in those who do come perhaps paying more money into the club, and also to entice those who no longer attend games to return. Things over the past decade have been abysmal. Not just for Clyde FC, but generally. People now genuinely struggle to afford to 'do things' such as come to the football with their friends or family. You have to decide whether you want to prioritise going to a League 2 game over going to the cinema with your kids. Obviously for some these problems have always existed but now more than ever. For a L2 club, the price of attending games is already prohibitively expensive, especially when you consider that the actual thing your paying for has been terrible for a very long time. I'm 38 years old and I can genuinely say I've only enjoyed about four, maybe five seasons of football since I attended my first game in 1993. Other than signing some good players, the first thing this regime has done is make the bad thing more expensive. That, quite rightly, doesn't sit well with the majority. Especially after we've been told a mystery benefactor is piling a 6 figure sum into the club.

Like I said previously, the onus shouldn't be on making the thing more expensive. It should be figuring out channels that those who are able can pay more, as opposed to punishing those who may already be struggling.

NB. £400 every home game amounts to £800 a month, and you can bet the majority of our squad are earning more than that.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

Personally £2 extra a game for me isn’t an issue but for others it may be over 2 or 3 games a month.

I think it would have softened the blow if the club had also announced they were capping the raise even if we are promoted this season and are in L1 next season.

2 hours ago, Captain Sham said:

I do get the point you make however to say it’s only an extra £400 raised, that is a top L2 player wage for that week.  If we want to be competitive at the right end of L2, the reality of the situation is fans need to play their part in making the club successful as we don’t want a repeat of last year.  Terrible look or not the simple fact is we need more money and the fans need to buy tickets to make that happen.  

You could raise an extra £400 per home game by getting 23 or 24 more punters through the door at £17 a skull.  Surely attempting to grow the fan base is a better model than fleecing those who already turn up harder.

The walk up prices are a joke but in contrast the season ticket is very good value at just over £14 per game if you attend all 18 (as is the child for a fiver season ticket). We could easily have stuck another £20-£40 on the season ticket price and it would still work out well under the walk up price.

6 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

They did the Bully Wee Fund. 

That's essentially a raffle though and only half of the takings from it go to the club. It's not uncommon for clubs to have a ring-fenced pot that can be paid into to boost the playing budget and it's something we have done fruitfully before. I'm far more in favour of initiatives like that which allow those who can, and wish to, give more to do so rather than forcing everyone to cough up more. We keep hearing about how important the fans are at games and how big a role they played during the run-in and yet one of the first post-season moves is to risk stifling growth and turning the hardest-up ones away?

It's one thing buying in and backing Maitland, but another entirely to cheerlead for every decision that's made. While respecting that he has a lot on his plate, a lack of communication between the decision makers and the fans has been a long-standing bone of contention and a more nuanced solution to this could've very easily been found had there been any kind of dialogue on the matter.

I will concede, like others, that the season ticket offering is now more attractive than before (and I'd have been renewing mine in any scenario), but it's not like the club has even made a big song and dance over how much of a saving it represents, as they should have. It's the most exciting time to be a Clyde fan since 2018 and demand for season tickets will be at its highest since then, so it's disappointing that, instead of capitalising on the hype, this dampener has been put on it.

8 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

That's essentially a raffle though and only half of the takings from it go to the club. It's not uncommon for clubs to have a ring-fenced pot that can be paid into to boost the playing budget and it's something we have done fruitfully before. I'm far more in favour of initiatives like that which allow those who can, and wish to, give more to do so rather than forcing everyone to cough up more. We keep hearing about how important the fans are at games and how big a role they played during the run-in and yet one of the first post-season moves is to risk stifling growth and turning the hardest-up ones away?

It's one thing buying in and backing Maitland, but another entirely to cheerlead for every decision that's made. While respecting that he has a lot on his plate, a lack of communication between the decision makers and the fans has been a long-standing bone of contention and a more nuanced solution to this could've very easily been found had there been any kind of dialogue on the matter.

I will concede, like others, that the season ticket offering is now more attractive than before (and I'd have been renewing mine in any scenario), but it's not like the club has even made a big song and dance over how much of a saving it represents, as they should have. It's the most exciting time to be a Clyde fan since 2018 and demand for season tickets will be at its highest since then, so it's disappointing that, instead of capitalising on the hype, this dampener has been put on it.

it is but its marketed as a direct contribution into the playing budget, the ownership scheme also had an option where you could buy that and make an additional contribution each month. 

2 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

It's an (often temperamental) app on your phone called TicketCo Wallet, you get a personal QR code and use that to scan in to every game. If you're missing one you can take a screenshot and send it to someone else to save them remortgaging their house to pay in!

I had mine on a pdf this year so no need to use the app, you can just download it/favourite the email it comes on. 

You could even print it if needed as it doesn't change on a game to game basis. 

I am one of the lucky one that an extra couple of £s per game wouldn't make a difference whether go or not. 

However, got to say that £19 for a L2 game does seem a rip off.  Personally think the quality is worth about a tenner and think football has been vastly overpriced for too long.

Havent a clue what you pay to go and see for Celtic for instance.  Just checked their website and to go to the last game of the season v St Mirren was £33.

To me £33 to go and see Celtic with the quality they play and the overall match atmosphere and experience is a lot better value than £19 to watch the drivel that we have served up over the last decade or so.

Have been a fan for over 40 years and can count on one hand the seasons I have genuinely enjoyed going to

1. 1996/97 (i think) where we were scoring 5 goals every game for the 6 or 7 games then it fizzled out so probably that just counts for half a season

2. The junior seasons first time round with Ronnie and Allan

3. Graham Roberts season

4. The recent L2 promotion season

Other than above have been going mainly out of habit and for some years when were right rotten didnt go at all.

As others have said the marginal income that £2 per head is going to generate isnt worth the overall negative vibe that can be clearly seen.

As others have said 200 punters at £2 extra per head is an extra £400 per game.  Much more likely to lose 24 of those 200 i think who would have paid at £17 and lose £408.

Think this is the first own goal by AM.

13 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

I am one of the lucky one that an extra couple of £s per game wouldn't make a difference whether go or not. 

However, got to say that £19 for a L2 game does seem a rip off.  Personally think the quality is worth about a tenner and think football has been vastly overpriced for too long.

Havent a clue what you pay to go and see for Celtic for instance.  Just checked their website and to go to the last game of the season v St Mirren was £33.

To me £33 to go and see Celtic with the quality they play and the overall match atmosphere and experience is a lot better value than £19 to watch the drivel that we have served up over the last decade or so.

Have been a fan for over 40 years and can count on one hand the seasons I have genuinely enjoyed going to

1. 1996/97 (i think) where we were scoring 5 goals every game for the 6 or 7 games then it fizzled out so probably that just counts for half a season

3. Graham Roberts season

Other than above have been going mainly out of habit and for some years when were right rotten didnt go at all.

As others have said the marginal income that £2 per head is going to generate isnt worth the overall negative vibe that can be clearly seen.

As others have said 200 punters at £2 extra per head is an extra £400 per game.  Much more likely to lose 24 of those 200 i think who would have paid at £17 and lose £408.

Along the same argument as Celtic games, I have a Man Utd season ticket as I live locally. My season ticket costs £570, which works out at £30 per league game, and we get discounted tickets for the lesser competitions alongside that which means my Europa league tickets will cost £22.50 next season. I know that revenue generated from admissions mean a lot more to us than they do for the likes of Man Utd but the difference in cost between Scottish league 2 football and european football being the cost of a tesco meal deal seems ridiculous. 

That said I will still pay the £19, although a lot easier to stomach when you can only make a couple of games a season. 

19 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I doubt they do no. My point was the folk who think being extorted is acceptable were using the argument you have to pay to get better quality. That obviously doesn't apply to the away fans. 

As I say, if Clyde don't hit the ground running I think it might be a decision that bites them on the backside. 

Your point is correct when applied to us but equally applies to any travelling support anywhere. Believe it's £18 at East Fife, for instance. Still a rip off and we've zero interest in funding their squad. Doubt their board or fans give a shit about that.

We do need to hit the ground running though.

53 minutes ago, bullywee2010 said:

Along the same argument as Celtic games, I have a Man Utd season ticket as I live locally. My season ticket costs £570, which works out at £30 per league game, and we get discounted tickets for the lesser competitions alongside that which means my Europa league tickets will cost £22.50 next season. I know that revenue generated from admissions mean a lot more to us than they do for the likes of Man Utd but the difference in cost between Scottish league 2 football and european football being the cost of a tesco meal deal seems ridiculous. 

That said I will still pay the £19, although a lot easier to stomach when you can only make a couple of games a season. 

Comparing us to Man Utd is a brave leap 😉.. maybe one day?

Like us, Man Utd have always had decent season ticket prices - I've just checked and Google reckons their average league ticket costs £105. I'm buying a season ticket and I think with the monthly payments option we're on a winner.

Season ticket holders make a commitment to support the team all season.

How many pay at the gate fans end up going/non going dependant on current form? Should there not be a premium to be paid for that option?

If it wasn't for the season ticket holders the last few  seasons we would all be embarrassed at it attendances watching that shite.

In saying that, as someone who stopped following the team for many years due to personal financial worries, those who no longer can afford to come along as often as they would like have my sympathy.

17 hours ago, Bullyweeno1 said:

3. Graham Roberts season

Let’s throw a party for your opening patronising and condescending sentence…

I am one of the lucky one that an extra couple of £s per game wouldn't make a differencewhether go or not. 

Lucky you’re not chocolate you might eat yourself- could write the losses off against tax though I expect!

lols

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

People don’t buy season tickets for various reasons, paying a premium for not buying a season ticket is one of the worst ideas I’ve seen for a while. 

It’s a clear strategy to force people into improving the season cash flow for the Club- might as well have made walk up £25 it’s so blatant- but it’s actually not a bad business strategy.

SPFL rules dictate that away fans should be charged the same as home fans so the £10 per head loyalist suggestion would impact the revenue from away wins- not that there will be many of them this coming season.

Mr X is clearly not providing huge funds- and “money of the likes we have never seen before” is a totally subjective comment and difficult for fans to guess at. One thing is for sure, the fans are being actively encouraged not to sit back and think it’s all sorted.

A few more like BC wetting their pants over the opportunity to buy a third kit, might (at £10 profit a whip) make enough to pay Jordan Allan’s loan fee for 2 months.

Edited by Right turn Clyde
Spelling

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bullywee2010 said:

Bullywee 2010 where about in Manchester / Salford are you?

I live in Wythenshawe in the South of the City right next to the hospital (Newall Green.) My wife and her family are all from West Gorton (in the East of Manchester) and as such are City fans, it makes no ends to me I only support Clyde and Scotland. :) 

Edited by Uncle Albert