Clyde FC Season 24/25

Have to be happy with that I think. There wasn’t an awful lot to choose from out there and I think he’s the best appointment we could have made. A good record in the division, he’s watched us a few times already, and seems to already know a good amount about the players. Sounds enthusiastic to get started and thankfully, reduced my anxiety levels by not sounding like he was ready to snap anytime he was asked a question. Welcome Darren!

1 hour ago, Replays said:

Have to be happy with that I think. There wasn’t an awful lot to choose from out there and I think he’s the best appointment we could have made. A good record in the division, he’s watched us a few times already, and seems to already know a good amount about the players. Sounds enthusiastic to get started and thankfully, reduced my anxiety levels by not sounding like he was ready to snap anytime he was asked a question. Welcome Darren!

There isn't much choice out there, but Darren Young would be in with a shout of being first choice in any case. I can't imagine there being a single complaint about this.

Good to see ex Cathkin High lads getting back on the ladder. His interview is fairly upbeat, more importantly it's factual in relation to his outlook on the game, our position, what can he do about it. He's without doubt the right man for the job right now.

Retaining Scally....deeply unsure. In fact, fairly certain he's a problem, altogether. He's behaved like an immature w**k to just about everyone and if he was senior to Kerr in training, and responsible for feeding IM ideas over the last three months then i fear Darren might have the rug pulled by him. It's not his fault there's not much money left, but at least give him an assistant of his own choosing. 

1 minute ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Would be surprised if DY doesn't bring James Creaney on board as his assistant. They had a very close partnership at Stirling and as far as I know Creaney hasn't found another club since we let him go

If that's who he wants, our club's financial illiteracy shouldn't be an obstacle to that. Not when a man who hated every second at the club was given what he was. Lennon was also well-backed with trusted assistance, and it brought results. It might or might not bother DY at this stage, but in a month or two he'll want his ideas bounced around with someone he can rely on. 

Generally really happy with that! Gives us a chance to rally now and get right behind him. 

His record in this league, with worse squads, has been pretty great and there's still time to do something this season. 

I'm also pretty optimistic that if it's still him next year, he'd be capable of doing something with a weaker squad. 

However, I was also optimistic in July so...

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Would be surprised if DY doesn't bring James Creaney on board as his assistant. They had a very close partnership at Stirling and as far as I know Creaney hasn't found another club since we let him go

1 hour ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I’d be equally surprised if one of his first signings isn’t Ross Davidson.

Just watched the interview - 21 'again''s (but thankfully, only one '110%').

I think we've got the best manager on the market at the moment for our budget. We've all had too many false dawns as Clyde fans down the years and recently too so even the most optimistic of us has learned not to hail every new arse in the manager's seat as the messiah but he seems keen and he sounds quietly confident that he can get more out of THIS squad than McCall so he's making all the right noises (it's refreshing and reassuring given our finances that he isn't talking about a clearout in the next transfer window and the need for a whole new bunch of strangers).

He's got a good track-record at this level and obviously doesn't feel its beneath him to coach in League 2 and he knows a lot of the players (it'd be interesting to know who the players he said he'd previously tried to sign are) so he's got as good a chance as any. 

Hopefully, those of us who occasionally(?) lose the plot and let our feelings be known loudly and in no uncertain words will give the new manager and the team a bit of breathing space in which to get things right. Hopefully, it doesn't get any worse before it gets better but don't be expecting the results and performances to be transformational overnight (be nice though eh?).

Good luck with Darren, not a bad lad and a decent manager. Really still don't know what happened in the last 6 months at Stirling. Just make sure he keeps the players out of the nearest nightclub the week before any possible play-offs.

6 hours ago, Billy Reid Fan Club said:

Retaining Scally....deeply unsure. In fact, fairly certain he's a problem, altogether. He's behaved like an immature w**k to just about everyone and if he was senior to Kerr in training, and responsible for feeding IM ideas over the last three months then i fear Darren might have the rug pulled by him. It's not his fault there's not much money left, but at least give him an assistant of his own choosing. 

Very surprised by this as well. Isn’t Scally usually McCalls right hand man everywhere he goes. No idea why he is being retained.

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

Very surprised by this as well. Isn’t Scally usually McCalls right hand man everywhere he goes. No idea why he is being retained.

The 'word' is that the manager requested he stay, but didn't need two coaches. The reports from Stirling fans suggest DY is very hands-on, which is already an improvement for me.

2 hours ago, 420 said:

Just watched the interview - 21 'again''s (but thankfully, only one '110%').

I think we've got the best manager on the market at the moment for our budget. We've all had too many false dawns as Clyde fans down the years and recently too so even the most optimistic of us has learned not to hail every new arse in the manager's seat as the messiah but he seems keen and he sounds quietly confident that he can get more out of THIS squad than McCall so he's making all the right noises (it's refreshing and reassuring given our finances that he isn't talking about a clearout in the next transfer window and the need for a whole new bunch of strangers).

He's got a good track-record at this level and obviously doesn't feel its beneath him to coach in League 2 and he knows a lot of the players (it'd be interesting to know who the players he said he'd previously tried to sign are) so he's got as good a chance as any. 

Hopefully, those of us who occasionally(?) lose the plot and let our feelings be known loudly and in no uncertain words will give the new manager and the team a bit of breathing space in which to get things right. Hopefully, it doesn't get any worse before it gets better but don't be expecting the results and performances to be transformational overnight (be nice though eh?).

Ahhh, that takes me back. All the fans fault!

The reason for premature loss of heads is largely the car crash the club has become off the pitch. The fans generally do back the guys in position, and in many cases its against their own judgement. When their effort off-field is matched on it, and behind it, there isn't (wasn't?) a better lower division support in the country. DY is well-spoken and clearly commenting on it in a humourous way, hoping it's all positive noise once he's waded through the shite and finds a settled team. Unlike Duffy and Chapman, even probably McCall too, who'd have crossed the road if a small child wearing a Clyde top was walking towards them on a matchday.

Delusions of anything beyond stringing a series of performances together need to be fired into the sea- even a win this week would be a welcome bonus just because it's the cup. Recent history suggests the change has been timed to beat the last three November managerial changes (Chapman-Lennon, Lennon-Duffy, McLean/Millar-Jobby) while we're not totally adrift, certainly leaving it longer would have done only more damage.