General Election 2024

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

At this point, he won't be giving a single solitary f**k how it looks to the public.

Hasn't Sunak claimed that he will serve the full Parliamentary term if elected? Multi-millionaire sitting on the Opposition benches with f**k-all power or status? What might the odds be on his honouring his claim? I hope the voters of Richmond keep the wee fucker up to his neck in complaints at Constituency surgeries.

3 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Hasn't Sunak claimed that he will serve the full Parliamentary term if elected? Multi-millionaire sitting on the Opposition benches with f**k-all power or status? What might the odds be on his honouring his claim? I hope the voters of Richmond keep the wee fucker up to his neck in complaints at Constituency surgeries.

He has, and if you believe him I have a bridge I can sell you.

5 hours ago, HTG said:

It's not what they can affect, it's what they know or may know. They have the potential to have greater access to data or other activity that may not be in the public domain. As I understand it, if you're a director at Hibs or a player at Raith Rovers, you're not allowed to bet on any football match whether it's in Scotland or Slovakia. It's pretty clear that a Raith Rovers centre half can't influence a Slovakian league match nor are they likely to have access to inside information. But footballers are transients now and rather than set all sorts of conditions around when you can get on football, the safe option is to have rules in place that are clear. Politics should be the same. If you represent a party or are intending to do so, you shouldn't be betting on political outcomes. 

They shouldn't be setting up companies to supply shite PPE either but ...

If someone has knowledge that allows them an advantage when betting, it's the bookies problem, not political parties or even democracy. 

This applies to football as well, where those rules are primarily there to protect betting markets rather than the integrity of the game.

Edited by sparky88

Just now, sparky88 said:

If someone has knowledge that allows them an advantage when betting, it's the bookies problem, not political parties or even democracy. 

It also raises suspicions that the outcome has been rigged. 

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It also raises suspicions that the outcome has been rigged. 

If the outcome of an election has been rigged then folk placing £500 bets is the least of our worries. 

6 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Only 15? That is disappointing.

There'll be more ... the others have the election date tied into a double with the UK and the US invading Iran on 3 July. According to some Shapps down the pub ...

Sitting reading P&B with the TV on on the background, and I'm aware of repeated mentions of SNP and independence coming from it. Oh I thought. must be Tory party broadcast, and I was correct.

Edited by Soapy FFC

With the inevitable Labour landslide coming next week this election campaign is beyond dull. Needs someone to liven things up like John Prescott did a few years ago, would be fantastic to see Diane Abbot put the heed in some c**t outside a school or something.

I've just watched wee Dross in the Scottish Tories election broadcast.  Michty me, they obviously don't know the golden rule of advertising is never to mention your rival brands, and yet here he is, with every second utterance 'SNP'.

Utterly pathetic stuff, from any political party.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've just watched wee Dross in the Scottish Tories election broadcast.  Michty me, they obviously don't know the golden rule of advertising is never to mention your rival brands, and yet here he is, with every second utterance 'SNP'.

Utterly pathetic stuff, from any political party.

If its the same one that I heard just before 6 o'clock on the wireless, it was quite extraordinary and not in a good way

22 minutes ago, sophia said:

If its the same one that I heard just before 6 o'clock on the wireless, it was quite extraordinary and not in a good way

It would be but you had the benefit of not having to look at his pudgy coupon.

Greenie for the use of 'wireless' btw, that's got me into some verbal jousts LOL.

Had a wee look at the homepage for BBC news......main story with numerous pictures and links to further articles is US election - thats quite incredible that the focus should be on a foreign election which takes place in November over one that takes place here in 6 days time.

Home - BBC News

Saying that, it is similar to the build up of Euros matches....lets go to the England camp.

51 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Had a wee look at the homepage for BBC news......main story with numerous pictures and links to further articles is US election - thats quite incredible that the focus should be on a foreign election which takes place in November over one that takes place here in 6 days time.

Home - BBC News

Saying that, it is similar to the build up of Euros matches....lets go to the England camp.

I understand your point but a second Trump presidency will be a disaster, the effects of which will be felt well beyond the USA.  Last night’s  debate may have a significant impact on that possibility hence the coverage.