General Election 2024

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Just connected to being a fucking idiot. Don’t people realise they might actually get what they vote for?

I won't. I fully expect I'll still be in a Tory cesspit after tonight's votes. Farming c***s. 

On 03/07/2024 at 16:53, sparky88 said:

Boris Johnson being wheeled out 2 days before election day in 2024 is like if they brought out David Mellor's mistress during the 1997 campaign. 

Fred west would have swung more votes

Just now, Theroadlesstravelled said:

As much as Starmer comes across as an insincere fanny, and sits on right of the left I believe there are still decent Labour people in the party who won't back him on his nonsense.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

You haven't been paying attention 

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I won't. I fully expect I'll still be in a Tory cesspit after tonight's votes. Farming c***s. 

Yeah, that’s a nightmare mate.

19 hours ago, edinabear said:

Will be excellent to see the SNP and the Tories getting an absolute tanking. People should not forget how they treated the population during COVID. Unforgivable.

They didn't go far enough. You're still posting, for example.

Find it very bizarre you can stand in a constituency you don't live in. I live in South West England and the Labour and Reform candidates don't live in the area so cant even vote for themselves (although the Labour candidate has pledged to move if voted in - believe it when I see it).

1 minute ago, Ex Machina said:

Find it very bizarre you can stand in a constituency you don't live in. I live in South West England and the Labour and Reform candidates don't live in the area so cant even vote for themselves (although the Labour candidate has pledged to move if voted in - believe it when I see it).

It doesn’t seem that odd in the city. I reckon I know Edinburgh well enough that I or someone like me could serve the people any of it’s constituencies (even Leith) but in these big rural areas full of countless little settlements it seems a bigger ask.

l

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I suspect you're right.

The thing that gets me with the 'farmers' line is that this part of the world is very far from affluent these days.   I know that the Dumfries and Galloway constituency is not the same as the local government region, but of the 32 local authority areas in Scotland, D&G has the very lowest median wage of the lot - 32nd of 32.  

It's utterly inexplicable, as well as embarrassing, that we elect Tories so frequently.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jul/04/general-election-2024-labour-keir-starmer

"It started with dark comedy. The sight of Rishi Sunak, behind the podium at No 10, drenched by the rain – a drowned rat in a sharp suit, drowned out by a hostile loudspeaker, bellowing out the fact of his sudden-death election – belonged to vaudeville.

The race itself belonged to Hobbes: “poor, nasty, brutish and short”.

And at the end, after all the speeches, the televised debates, the photo ops, the accusations, the helicopter rides, the leaflet-filled vehicles crisscrossing the country, the vox pops, what did we learn about our country and our politics?

We learned more about the foolish recklessness of those who have ruled us. Sunak called his election for himself and for his party and for his faction. There was nothing further from his mind, as he dripped rainwater, than the good of the nation or our democracy. He had no plan, other than to parrot the inanity that “the plan” was working. Tell that to the food bank volunteers or the coastguard at Dover."

As much as the thought of watching utter c***s like Hunt and Rees-Mogg get emptied live sounds good, I just don't think I'll bother staying up late to watch it.

Exit poll then the first oddball north east lot that race to declare first then off to bed I think.

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

As much as the thought of watching utter c***s like Hunt and Rees-Mogg get emptied live sounds good, I just don't think I'll bother staying up late to watch it.

Exit poll then the first oddball north east lot that race to declare first then off to bed I think.

On that note, if anyone knows any YouTube channels that are doing live coverage (can't get the Beeb or iPlayer in the US) please fire them up - we're 6 hours behind and the thought of a fair number of those utter c***s making their concession speeches to lull me off to my pit is quite appealing. 

Just now, carpetmonster said:

On that note, if anyone knows any YouTube channels that are doing live coverage (can't get the Beeb or iPlayer in the US) please fire them up - we're 6 hours behind and the thought of a fair number of those utter c***s making their concession speeches to lull me off to my pit is quite appealing. 

Don’t you a VPN?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t you a VPN?

No, there are dogs that are more tech-savvy than me, and I don't have niche enough tastes in grumble to be arsed about anyone pulling that up, outside of just switching to private browsing. 

ETA - that's a thing - I've never tried hooky-streaming anything outside of football or Heat games. Somebody must have a portal to the BBC somewhere out there. 

Edited by carpetmonster

6 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

No, there are dogs that are more tech-savvy than me, and I don't have niche enough tastes in grumble to be arsed about anyone pulling that up, outside of just switching to private browsing. 

ETA - that's a thing - I've never tried hooky-streaming anything outside of football or Heat games. Somebody must have a portal to the BBC somewhere out there. 

The Opera browser has a VPN built into it that you can turn on and set to the UK.