General Election 2024

8 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Scotland really is a miserable backwater that only gets what it deserves.  

Better isn't possible.  

That’s the spirit!

Both the Tories and the SNP got the kicking they so richly deserved. The SNP can now reflect and try and be more competent and voter friendly before the next Holyrood elections.

42 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Im pretty happy waking up to that, the UK needed a labour government with a clear majority. In Scotland the snp needed this so that it might realise just how out of touch it has got.

all in all no tories is a bighter future however you look at it 

There hace been 609 Tories elected so far. 

This has been an unmitigated disaster for the SNP.

One that very few of us saw coming and one that they need to start working to address now.

However for the Unionist who are gloating or the supporters of Independence who are gutted let me repost a fact I posted earlier in the evening.

At the 2010 GE the SNP won 6 seats, at the 2015 GE they won 56 seats.  The current FPTP system makes swings of that magnitude very possible.

Recent polls have also suggested that support for Independence is still very high.

Of course 56 seats in 2015 was unjustified, it was nowhere near a reflection of how the people of Scotland voted but we have a fucked up electoral system.

That same system is going to hand Starmer one of the biggest majorities ever with roughly only 1 in 3 people voting Labour.

Democratic?  That’s questionable.

10 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

Yup,Scotland has just slunk back into it's shell awaiting another booting.

It was certainly a Scotland quality show of defending by the SNP.  But it’s hard to say it wasn’t deserved.  

Just now, Scary Bear said:

That’s the spirit!

Both the Tories and the SNP got the kicking they so richly deserved. The SNP can now reflect and try and be more competent and voter friendly before the next Holyrood elections.

They both absolutely did deserve it. 

The fact that the kicking that was given (in Scotland) was in the form of red blue Tories tells a totally different story about what is happening though.  

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

One that very few of us saw coming and one that they need to start working to address now.

However for the Unionist who are gloating or the supporters of Independence who are gutted let me repost a fact I posted earlier in the evening.

At the 2010 GE the SNP won 6 seats, at the 2015 GE they won 56 seats.  The current FPTP system makes swings of that magnitude very possible.

Recent polls have also suggested that support for Independence is still very high.

Of course 56 seats in 2015 was unjustified, it was nowhere near a reflection of how the people of Scotland voted but we have a fucked up electoral system.

That same system is going to hand Starmer one of the biggest majorities ever with roughly only 1 in 3 people voting Labour.

Democratic?  That’s questionable.

How could anyone not see that coming? When party influencers like Gillian Sturgeon can't even be bothered voting you must surely know the ball has long been burst. 

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

In 2019 Boris Johnson,'s Tories won a massive majority.  Yesterday Keir Starmer's Labour party won a huge majority.  This scale of political oscillation doesn't suggest a United Kingdom at ease with itself.

Liz Truss happened. 

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Most opinion polls saw it coming.  I think most MRP predictions had the SNP getting around 10 seats, give or take.

When does the internal bloodletting start for the Snp? Some big hitters will be desperate to get back up the road to the holyrood trough. Wonder if the continuity/cover up wrong doing candidate  will survive or the other side of the party make a play 

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Most opinion polls saw it coming.  I think most MRP predictions had the SNP getting around 10 seats, give or take.

The opinion polls I saw showed SNP and Labour fairly close percentage wise.  I think some of the ones closer to polling day saw the SNP slightly ahead.

Of course I could be wrong; wouldn’t be the first time.