General Election 2024

25 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

🤣 That is fucking ludicrous.

Not as weird as LibDems.   0.5% increase in vote share (last I looked) and 700%+ more seats from 8 to 69.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You think Labour has been a more effective opposition at Westminster than the SNP?  They certainly got more coverage but for the most part have been ineffective.

I think it doesn’t really matter what the opposition do. They are mainly just hot air. The party in power call the shots and make the decisions which affect peoples lives. The SNP will never be the party in power at Westminster and were effectively ignored and ridiculed by a Tory government who had no interest in giving an inch to them.

Between the 1997 and 2010 general elections six Scottish seats changed hands. Since 2015 I think about 55 seats have changed hands, the majority three times.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

I think it doesn’t really matter what the opposition do. They are mainly just hot air. The party in power call the shots and make the decisions which affect peoples lives. The SNP will never be the party in power at Westminster and were effectively ignored and ridiculed by a Tory government who had no interest in giving an inch to them.

So it doesn’t matter what the opposition do but the SNP deserve to be punished electorally in part because the opposition has been ineffective?

That’s a strange argument.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Yes, which is why we want independence.

Like it or not, this opinion is currently the opinion of the minority of voters in Scotland.

Additionally, voters clearly have lost faith in the SNP's ability to deliver it and have instead turned to addressing the very real issues they currently face.

How the SNP react to this will determine how they fare in 2026 - either they can dismiss it as people simply voting to get the Tories out and continue their path of nannying, higher taxes for anyone earning over £28,000, empty promises delivered on the never never, and "free" stuff, in which case they will get trounced again, or they can reflect on their own policies and give people a reason to believe in them in 2026. 

43 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

That’s all I can really take from it. I haven’t noticed too many small boats in the Forth and there aren’t that many black faces either.

Is there another reason people vote Reform? Pissed off with the main parties and seen as the anti-establishment vote?

I think statistically the less you encounter minorities the more likely you are to be racist in certain places. Most of their base are some of the whitest places in England

9 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

Cheerie bye then m8

Thank you for your contribution, mintermind. 

5 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Genuinely think that the biggest challenge over the next couple of years is going to be faced by the Scottish Labour party. 

Only if people are paying attention.  I’m not sure they are tbh.

Anyone who thinks that things are suddenly going to get better under Labour is deluding themselves but self delusion can be quite common rather than admitting that your wrong.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

higher taxes for anyone earning over £28,000

Since, as a species, we appear to be happy to let more money every year leach out of economy into the unspending hands of a few, I'd be astonished if Labour don't end up doing something similar in the rest of the UK.

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

Since, as a species, we appear to be happy to let more money every year leach out of economy into the unspending hands of a few, I'd be astonished if Labour don't end up doing something similar in the rest of the UK.

They may well do. At which point it would become a moot point.

Taxing the lower end of middle earners more, however, isn't the answer long-term, as I believe you are alluding to here.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Like it or not, this opinion is currently the opinion of the minority of voters in Scotland.

Additionally, voters clearly have lost faith in the SNP's ability to deliver it and have instead turned to addressing the very real issues they currently face.

How the SNP react to this will determine how they fare in 2026 - either they can dismiss it as people simply voting to get the Tories out and continue their path of nannying, higher taxes for anyone earning over £28,000, empty promises delivered on the never never, and "free" stuff, in which case they will get trounced again, or they can reflect on their own policies and give people a reason to believe in them in 2026. 

SNP have taken independence voters for granted for far too long. Swinney's plea that he would start independence negotiations if a majority of SNP MPs was returned was rightly ignored by many folk who then voted for Labour. Even though they'd vote for independence tomorrow.

Good things: Ross, Galloway, Truss, Rees-Mogg, Mercer, Shapps, Cherry all got emptied

Bad things: Alexander, Farage, Anderson, Murray all got in.

My main takeaway from this? There are a lot of c***s in British politics

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Taxing the lower end of middle earners more, however, isn't the answer long-term, as I believe you are alluding to here.

Until there is some form of worldwide goverment (or house of Lords type thing), then the correct answer is out of reach.  

Woke up and at least had a slight comfort that the SNP won 3 times more seats than the Reform Party.

Realistically it wouldn't have mattered how many seats the SNP won it would have made no difference to what happens at Westminster. Winning 56, 35 and 48 in successive elections hasn't got us anywhere nearer Independence. It's likely that Scotland will be marginalised more now as they are no longer then 3rd party.

Thankfully politics isn't static and Holyrood in 2 years will be a chance for recovery.

52 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

That’s all I can really take from it. I haven’t noticed too many small boats in the Forth and there aren’t that many black faces either.

Is there another reason people vote Reform? Pissed off with the main parties and seen as the anti-establishment vote?

There’s also TikTok. Big yoof vote influenced by the bots. And of course, massive racists.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So it doesn’t matter what the opposition do but the SNP deserve to be punished electorally in part because the opposition has been ineffective?

They are an irrelevance at Westminster. My feeling is that they’ve been reduced to 10 seats partly due to people voting Labour to get the Tories out and partly due to their performance at Holyrood in the last few years. 

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If you're ineffective in politics you will be punished, deserved or not. The SNP have been a total wet blanket at Westminster. All talk, nae results. Is that their fault? No not really because, as has been demonstrably shown, even if they wipe the board up here it means nothing.

Scots have reverted to saying, OK Labour, we're in... what can you do for us?

I suspect Scottish Labour will be as effective as the SNP.... particularly if the right in England is pulling Sir Kier in that direction.