General Election 2024

Labour achieved  a vote share of under 20% of the voting population... I wonder if there will be any serious discussion or joining of the dots regarding the Tories attempts at voter suppression and the massive drop in turnout. Or shrugged off as dissatisfaction with the "main" parties.

56 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The SNP love to pledge free things, though. It’s their go-to.

Imagine thinking that's a bad thing.

Worth saying, when folk on lower incomes feel others are benefiting from society and they're not, it drives many towards the far right. It's incredibly important to make sure they feel that life is getting better for them and that politicians are doing things to help people like them. Lots of things the SNP have done are in that category.

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Who is saying that Labour would have done better? I don’t think anyone would do any better but anyone who wasn’t born yesterday knows that doesn’t matter to most of the electorate. When the ruling party is in such a bad way they inevitably take a kicking for it regardless of how shite the opposition is.

As someone who (reluctantly) voted for them yesterday the constant whataboutery as if you’re defending your favourite football team at all costs does my tits in.

No that just goes to prove how thick* people are.

If you support Independence, which a huge amount of voters still do, and would vote Labour over SNP even if you don’t think they would have/will do a better job it’s the sign of daftness.

Equally if you support Independence and didn’t vote yesterday the same applies.

* I was tempted to say ‘fickle’ but will stick with ‘thick’.

21 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Sir Keir and Lady Victoria going to downing street. What a man of the people we've elected eh

Where else did you think he would go? Sunak, Davey, Farage, Flynn would have gone to Downing Street if they had won

Just now, Granny Danger said:

No that just goes to prove how thick* people are.

If you support Independence, which a huge amount of voters still do, and would vote Labour over SNP even if you don’t think they would have/will do a better job it’s the sign of daftness.

Equally if you support Independence and didn’t vote yesterday the same applies.

* I was tempted to say ‘fickle’ but will stick with ‘thick’.

I don’t disagree with the gist of this but if the SNP weren’t in such a mess it wouldn’t have been as big an issue.

Is the electorate full of idiots? Yes. Is the onus on the SNP to take meaningful action to win back votes? Also yes.

Would have been great when Sir Keif walked into all those people inside No.10 if Boris Johnson jumped up pissed as a fart shouting "more people!".

Missed opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

No, it's had no effect leaving the European Union 

The people that brexit has been worst for are the rich, so it’s not all bad imo. 

Just now, MazzyStar said:

The people that brexit has been worst for are the rich, so it’s not all bad imo. 

Is there any subject on which you dont have a contrary opinion?

2 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

I hope that Labour can sort out the post around Troon - just had 3 election campaign leaflets through the door this morning (two Tory and one SNP).

Never too early to start. 

Just now, Leith Green said:

Is there any subject on which you dont have a contrary opinion?

It’s nothing to do with having a contrary opinion. Left wingers should be opposed to the European Union (as it currently is) 

38 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You do not need to be anywhere near £70k to have a 4 figure difference.

You will be more than 4 figures before even hitting the higher rate threshold in England.

The “vast majority” I was referring to were the public service workers who are, apparently, very happy to pay a “marginal” increase.

Now you’ve done it. Spreadsheet here I come. Not saying you’re wrong, but I need to know fo sho

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

So who did?

The wife (Stranraer) tells me that the Tory guy was not popular.

It’s those fucking shy Tories again.