General Election 2024

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've just watched wee Dross in the Scottish Tories election broadcast.  Michty me, they obviously don't know the golden rule of advertising is never to mention your rival brands, and yet here he is, with every second utterance 'SNP'.

Utterly pathetic stuff, from any political party.

If its the same one that I heard just before 6 o'clock on the wireless, it was quite extraordinary and not in a good way

22 minutes ago, sophia said:

If its the same one that I heard just before 6 o'clock on the wireless, it was quite extraordinary and not in a good way

It would be but you had the benefit of not having to look at his pudgy coupon.

Greenie for the use of 'wireless' btw, that's got me into some verbal jousts LOL.

Had a wee look at the homepage for BBC news......main story with numerous pictures and links to further articles is US election - thats quite incredible that the focus should be on a foreign election which takes place in November over one that takes place here in 6 days time.

Home - BBC News

Saying that, it is similar to the build up of Euros matches....lets go to the England camp.

51 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Had a wee look at the homepage for BBC news......main story with numerous pictures and links to further articles is US election - thats quite incredible that the focus should be on a foreign election which takes place in November over one that takes place here in 6 days time.

Home - BBC News

Saying that, it is similar to the build up of Euros matches....lets go to the England camp.

I understand your point but a second Trump presidency will be a disaster, the effects of which will be felt well beyond the USA.  Last night’s  debate may have a significant impact on that possibility hence the coverage.

14 hours ago, GTee said:

Any independence supporter who votes for Labour or the Tories really must have horrifically low self-esteem. Imagine voting for a party that labelled Independence voters the way they did in 2014. 

I keep saying this to supporters of independence - why vote for a party who will triumphantly use the result to stop independence?

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

It’s obvious that Labour are going to have a significant majority because of Sunak and the Tories unpopularity rather than because Starmer and Labour are inspiring anyone.  Starmer is effectively getting his win handed on a plate to him.

Sadly the same must be said for the LibDems.  An absolute joke of a campaign yet they will likely see their numbers increase significantly and no doubt will somehow claim that this once again makes them a real alternative to the main parties.

Most folk have little real interest in politics and will only ever look at the outcome of this election, the outcome will come nowhere close to telling the real story.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s obvious that Labour are going to have a significant majority because of Sunak and the Tories unpopularity rather than because Starmer and Labour are inspiring anyone.  Starmer is effectively getting his win handed on a plate to him.

53 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Sadly the same must be said for the LibDems.  An absolute joke of a campaign yet they will likely see their numbers increase significantly and no doubt will somehow claim that this once again makes them a real alternative to the main parties.

Disagree about this. Yes, there were a lot of crazy stunts at the start but they got Ed Davey noticed (how many people out of the politics nerds knew who he was?) and then once he and they started getting more media attention they were able to get some policy stuff out there, especially around adult social care and support for children with disabilities (particularly after the PEB where he spoke about looking after his own disabled child). Since then, the stunts have stopped and Nationally they are polling pretty well. Seems like a successful campaign to me? 

4 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

'This country is a better place to live now than it was in 2010,' Sunak says'.

Fucking deluded.

He is referring to the filthy rich like himself.

In which case maybe it is.

Just now, Dan Steele said:

'This country is a better place to live now than it was in 2010,' Sunak says'.

Fucking deluded.

They've almost completely destroyed public services, cut huge holes in the welfare safety net and made a lot of rich people richer. There's also been a huge increase in xenophobia and we've ditched that big post war European peace project in favour of talking about national service and a "war footing". 

They'll be disappointed that the massive expansion in foodbanks hasn't quite acheived a return of the workhouse. 

For your average Tory, Victorian society was Britain's zenith and we're closer to that now than at any point in my lifetime. 

Misssion accomplished 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Mission accomplished 

Can't argue with that. Still, Sir Keith's going to re-light the fire of optimism and hope in the country, so that's good. And if I can figure out just what that means ...

49 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

WTAF is this implying?

Not sure what it’s implying but it’s definitely illustrating that the Tories are bereft of ideas and having nothing concrete to attack Labour with.

The Tory’s strategy should be simple.  Show how often Starmer has committed to something only to step back from those commitments.